Have you suffered nail trauma?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

liron

Reaction score
Hello Geeks and Geeklettes,

I figured to get the ball rolling and ask... have you (or any of your clients, for that matter) ever suffered nail trauma that lead to permanent or non permanent nail damage?

When I was about 16 years old, I had a minor incident involving the middle finger on my right hand and a toothpick. This lead to a rather unfortunate hole in the nail above the moon, which in turn lead to the loss of the entire nail. It grew back in time, but unfortunately there is damage to the nail matrix, and today my nail is rather out of shape - the "C curve" looks like it has had one of its "legs" kicked off to the side, and is bent far outwards than the other.

How about you?
:hug:

Mine was a toe nail.

I suffer from "Restless leg syndrome" and one night I was almost asleep and my leg started going into spasm - I quickly shot my leg out from under the duvet and caught my toe on my bedside cabinet thingy. It was really sore but I didnt want to yelp or make a fuss incase I woke Andy (hubby).

In the morning I asked him to look at it for me and he said it was all yukky with dried blood and the nail opened like a book - it was only attached down one side.

I nurtured it and cared for it and eventually it grew out with the new nail underneath - thankfully no lasting damage.

liron said:
Hello Geeks and Geeklettes,

I figured to get the ball rolling and ask... have you (or any of your clients, for that matter) ever suffered nail trauma that lead to permanent or non permanent nail damage?

When I was about 16 years old, I had a minor incident involving the middle finger on my right hand and a toothpick. This lead to a rather unfortunate hole in the nail above the moon, which in turn lead to the loss of the entire nail. It grew back in time, but unfortunately there is damage to the nail matrix, and today my nail is rather out of shape - the "C curve" looks like it has had one of its "legs" kicked off to the side, and is bent far outwards than the other.

How about you?
:hug:
HAVE I??? i have and still do my nails are such a mess im wanting to get my nails done somewhere but im to ashamed of them. I am a biter (i know i know) i have been for ages just like my sister i have lumps and bumps everywhere lol xx

naturalnails said:
Mine was a toe nail.

I suffer from "Restless leg syndrome" and one night I was almost asleep and my leg started going into spasm - I quickly shot my leg out from under the duvet and caught my toe on my bedside cabinet thingy. It was really sore but I didnt want to yelp or make a fuss incase I woke Andy (hubby).

In the morning I asked him to look at it for me and he said it was all yukky with dried blood and the nail opened like a book - it was only attached down one side.

I nurtured it and cared for it and eventually it grew out with the new nail underneath - thankfully no lasting damage.

I feel for you hun - I had a bed (!!) fall on my foot during my time in the military, lost my toenail :cry: but grew out perfectly fine.

When I was about 12 years old I had placed my hands on either side of a doorframe, and unfortunately someone went to close the door, and my thumb got trapped :eek: The nail was hanging off and my parents rushed me to A&E where they had to put some stitches in and wrapped my thumb up in bandages so it looked like a big lightbulb. The dressings were changed over a period of weeks, and one day when i took the dressing off, there was the nail just lying there in the bandage...yuck!

The nail has since grown back, but its what i call my 'yucky nail'. The C-curve is more like an upside down V shape, and the free edge has a yellow tinge.

Its been like this for years, so I guess its never gonna change. I'm lucky though - the hospital said I was lucky not to lose the tip of my thumb. To this day, my thumb still indents at either side of the tip, where it was almost chopped off!

i managed to break my big toe a few years back, since then my toenail has grown a lot thicker and in a 'pincer' shape, sometimes very painful, it seems better with a gel overlay on as it sort of trains the nail if you know what i mean.

my most recent trauma was yesterday afternoon... trying to bath the dogs, one of them doesn't like water and was a major struggler, managed to get my fingers caught up in his collar and as he made a run for it he took 2 of my overlays with him :eek: sore and painful is an understatement, god knows how many layers of nailplate came away.

when I was in 3rd grade I was playing at the bottom of a slide....and a bot kisked my thumb head on.....neadless to sat I eventually lost my nail....it has grown back sorta flat from then on and is a bit wider.....has also lopped off my ring fingers breaking my enhancements at times...they are crooked now....but at the cost of having pretty didgits ....I'd loose them all again :)

I have several clients with permanent damage to one or two nails. One lady has a nail that splits every time it gets a free edge. You can actually see a vertical line from matrix to free edge where it will eventually split. I started out trying a silk wrap on it and that didn't work. Now we do a natural tip with Star Nail Acrygel overlay. It works great! Another lady has two nails with pretty much the same problem. On her I do silk wraps and they work perfectly. Though I haven't seen her in a while because she was diagnosed with breast cancer and has been having treatments :sad: Her hubby keeps us posted on her though.

Yes, I had a new client come today for a french manicure...her first ever. The first thing she did when she sat down was apologize to me because her nails were so mishaped...she had frost bite when she was 12 and it really did a number on her nails poor thing. Anyhow, she is trying to get pregnant and doc put her on some mega vitamins and she says her nails are finally growing so she decided to come in and see me. She was so please. I have also had two of my toe nails removed. One because of fungus disease and the other as it was so badly ingrown. They both grew back funny looking. Oh well.

my right index was caught in a door at brownies and it came off. it has grown slightly thicker but not too noticeable now.
my little nail has a vertical line from top to bottom that splits at the free edge thanks to a cr.... technician. i cant get rid of it
forgot the proper term for it but you know what i mean

I have suffered a number of ingrown toenails - and my big toenail on my left foot has been removed about 5 times as it just kept growing into my nail wall causing a lot of pain and eventually infection! The last operation was successful but it still grows out of shape. It was only attached at the bottom, not the sides, so it was a bit "wobbly" although not painful and was a dark brown colour. Then a few weeks ago i was looking at it and wobbling it as it felt loose, and it fell off leaving part of a new nail underneath! (God this sounds minging!!)

I have done an extension using acrylic (sculptured) and have made it look like a proper full toenail as oppsed to a little stump! (I used white for the tip and overlayed the rest of my toenails so they all match and look fab 4 summer!) - so it looks a bit better now!! It was easy to do - and i have had clients with damaged nails which i have treated - and they looked fab afterwards.

Hope this helps!!

When I was 14 I was making a denim handbag for sewing class and somehow I got my middle finger in the way and the needle went right through my nail and out the bottom of my finger.

I didn't lose my nail but ever since then it grows with a groove all the up the middle and sort of goes sideways so I have to file it straight all the time. Darned annoying. :eek:

This thread makes me cringe with every post I read! :cry: :cry:

I had an accident with a toenail falling off, but thankfuly it grew back and there was no fungal infection.

However, it has grown back with ridges now, and is very dry, no matter how much oil I rub in.

Latest posts

Back