Hay fever!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jigglyb4ll

Reaction score
Help!!
Anyone got any good advice as mine is making my life unbearable :(
Currently I take medication (tried them all) use a light therapy thing which you put up your nose, eat local honey, use eye spray (not nasal spray as it doesn't work for me and just gives me headache) Vaseline round my nose, Vicks on my chest, eat apples, and wear disposable face masks at all treatments and even sleep in them!!

What else can I try?!? Xx

Have you been to the doctor the antihistamines they can give you are much stronger than what you can get in the shops, I don't get it every year but when I do I have to get a prescription as nothing else works :-D

Sent from my LT30p using SalonGeek mobile app

You sound very much like me! Atm im signed off sick with hayfever cos it gets that bad that my body is so weak and tired thaf i can barely function. The other day i couldnt breath at all through my nose so im having to breathe through my mouth the pollen is the going to my lungs and irritating my lungs so now im its all in my lungs and throat as well as in my ears eyes and nose!

Nothing works for me even the docs meds and honey doesnt work as its the tree and grass pollens which cause the reaction due to them pollenating via wind not bees like flowers and veg plants.

Take two showers a day one in the morning one in the evening and change clothing daily (im sure you do but even if you wear a top two days in a row it can have an effect) change bedlinen every couple of days. Do not peg clothes out on the line either tumble dry or hang up inside and i like to hoover and dust every day too as the pollen gets everywhere and cos i have such a reaction to pollen i end having a big reaction to dust too so i like to ensure my home environment is clean as possible too. I do find my body does adjust slightly if i sleep with my bedroom window open as the pollen is far reduced at night but still enough for my body to try and build a defence against like if we were to have measles. Also as stated above go to the docs as they may investigate if you have nasal polcyps (sp?) Which can cause hayfever to be far worse then it is. Mind is horrendous due to having to have my nose cortarised so many times as a child and they have burnt so much nasal tissue away so my body can not flush out irritants like its supposed to.
I hope you start to feel better soon and you find something that works im in the same boat and never known anyone to suffer like me and whilst i cant wave a magic wand please have a hug from someone who knows as im sick of those who havent got a clue trying to tell me how to cure it. I dont ses why they dont give us small doses of the drug thats in the epi pens so it will reduce the symptoms. And why is hayfever considered a meani gless allergy compared to other allergies? X

Sent from my GT-I9300 using SalonGeek mobile app

It's just awful isn't it :(
Yep I do all the above and the drs give me antihistamines but they do nothing.
I think I have the same issue as you with my nose, I've always suffered from terrible nosebleeds so the tissue is very weak. I might go back to drs and mention this, thank you :)
Drs just fob me off, they won't allergy test me either so I can't find out what specifically causes it which would make a big deal. For instance, I want to move as I have fields all round my house but I don't want to do that if its a particular flower in my garden that makes it worse that could be where ever I move.
I'm self employed and work from home so I can't escape it.
I think it's one of those things like earache where you don't realise how soul destroying it is until you suffer :( xx

I know its not like other allergies where you can have meds and it goes away like a seafood allergy. It plays havoc with life, i live at home but have to walk the dogs and such as mum works away. I keep all windows and doors shut during the day too. We do sound similar as i had really bad nosebleeds as a child and have five ops of cortarisation to cure it. Docs are running tests to see if my hayfever is causing me chronic fatigue syndrome if not m.e i would persist with your doc and explain its making you not only physically unwell but mentally too. I find i cant focus properly and my memory goes really easily and just feeling so unwell that leaves me feeling really down and depressed. I want to feel normal and go out a do things and not be held back by this.

Moan over x

Not tried these myself but someone told me about anti hay fever bands, they go around your elbow an have a small ball on them that sits on a pressure point to relieve the symptoms of hay fever. Like the anti sickness ones you can get for pregnancy or travel sickness, I don't know where to get them from though, maybe google them hth :)

Not tried these myself but someone told me about anti hay fever bands, they go around your elbow an have a small ball on them that sits on a pressure point to relieve the symptoms of hay fever. Like the anti sickness ones you can get for pregnancy or travel sickness, I don't know where to get them from though, maybe google them hth :)

Ooh never heard if that! Will have a hunt for them!! Thank you xx

You sound very much like me! Atm im signed off sick with hayfever cos it gets that bad that my body is so weak and tired thaf i can barely function. The other day i couldnt breath at all through my nose so im having to breathe through my mouth the pollen is the going to my lungs and irritating my lungs so now im its all in my lungs and throat as well as in my ears eyes and nose!

Nothing works for me even the docs meds and honey doesnt work as its the tree and grass pollens which cause the reaction due to them pollenating via wind not bees like flowers and veg plants.

Take two showers a day one in the morning one in the evening and change clothing daily (im sure you do but even if you wear a top two days in a row it can have an effect) change bedlinen every couple of days. Do not peg clothes out on the line either tumble dry or hang up inside and i like to hoover and dust every day too as the pollen gets everywhere and cos i have such a reaction to pollen i end having a big reaction to dust too so i like to ensure my home environment is clean as possible too. I do find my body does adjust slightly if i sleep with my bedroom window open as the pollen is far reduced at night but still enough for my body to try and build a defence against like if we were to have measles. Also as stated above go to the docs as they may investigate if you have nasal polcyps (sp?) Which can cause hayfever to be far worse then it is. Mind is horrendous due to having to have my nose cortarised so many times as a child and they have burnt so much nasal tissue away so my body can not flush out irritants like its supposed to.
I hope you start to feel better soon and you find something that works im in the same boat and never known anyone to suffer like me and whilst i cant wave a magic wand please have a hug from someone who knows as im sick of those who havent got a clue trying to tell me how to cure it. I dont ses why they dont give us small doses of the drug thats in the epi pens so it will reduce the symptoms. And why is hayfever considered a meani gless allergy compared to other allergies? X

I could have wrote this myself!!!
I'm exactly the same, had my nose cauterised 3 times when younger due to nose bleeds.
At the moment I have a broked rib too due to coughing which is taking it time healing because I've started bloody coughing and sneezing with hayfever! It's driving me nuts! Up my nose feels so swollen. It's awful. I hope it settles for you soon. Xx

Hi Everyone, I do have hayfever, adult onset asthma (diagnosed 6 months ago) I'm 35. Also have coeliac disease ( again diagnosed late @ 33). Coeliac Disease is an auto immune response disorder.

Since diagnosis my allergies are all heightened. I take daily antihistamines. Which help a little. I dearnt not take them, who knows how bad it would be??

Anyway aside all the brilliant ideas above. I sometimes find essential oils help me. In particular Chamomile, Lavender, Tea Tree, Eucalyptus I'm sure there are more.

I drop a few drops onto a hankie and inhale - all day sometimes or I pop the hankie onto my pillow at bed time.

Low dose steroids (nasal spray) can also help reduce inflammation from acute attacks.
Low dose Adrenaline is an interesting point but the potential risks out way the benefit. Risk of brain haemorrhage, cardiac arrest even in Low Dose can't be ruled out.

Oh hot Tea for some reason soothes me.

P x

Latest posts

Back