Head lice?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

redordead

Reaction score
Just wanted to know what everyone's thoughts/salon policies were regarding headlice?
Just turned two young girls away who were full of them. Advised the dad how he could treat them and that he could bring them back in once they were clear.
However, my boss isn't happy that two clients have been turned away. He understands why I have but says it's not the end of the world having a client with headlice?
When it comes to children's cuts, I've always checked first for headlice and never proceed if I find any. Different story if I've already started cutting though!
Just interested what everyone else's thoughts are.

Any unfortunate client who has lice are turned away with all the appropriate advice given , we are opposite to a school so see a few.

Sent from my GT-N7100 using SalonGeek mobile app

Hi, we covered headlice at college this week and the rule was to refuse service & refer to pharmacy for treatment & offer to book back in once clear.

It was the crossinfection issue that was stressed the most

Sent from my GT-P3110 using SalonGeek mobile app

You definitely did the right thing.

You can't take the risk of another client getting them and your salons reputation will quickly suffer!

I think my boss is concerned they won't come back? And would rather cut their hair to avoid potentially losing clients

Stick to your guns, you know that lice is contra-indicated so you've done right.

At the end of the day those kids could've been dragged round 10 salons this morning, hoping someone would take the chance.

I wouldn't worry... do you want to be the one scratching all day long and paranoid you've got them! I wouldn't!! LOL!

Other than that, advise your boss to get a stock of Headlice treatments in and retail the clients, they you've made a bit of money!

I think my boss is concerned they won't come back? And would rather cut their hair to avoid potentially losing clients

The frustration and stress just for some salon owners trying to survive is immense. I dislike clients being turned away for the same financial reason, it's not just lice, it is skin tests, condition of hair, but that said to do the right thing moraly and professionally is paramount. You win some you lose some. . You did the right thing.

He will definately loose clients WHEN you give someone else nits, get a call from the council & have your name trashed. Bet he wouldnt be happy then either hey!

At least you r on the ball, dont compromise yourself or worry about it anymore x

Sent from my GT-P3110 using SalonGeek mobile app

Surely its a base salon rule to refuse service on someone with headlice as its a contraindication? Why does it matter if they dont come back you did the right thing, and if you werent rude which i presume you werent, then they have no reason to hold it against you. Not one hairdressers is going to carry out service on those kids when they realise they have lice.

My salon policy is to refuse to treat.
If the cut has started, we finish the cut, but don't blow dry.

Bear in mind, that strictly speaking, if you catch them, you shouldn't be working until they're eradicated. Your boss cannot realistically expect you to work on someone with an infestation and has a duty of care to you as an employee.

Slightly off topic I know but can I ask whether any of you geeks agree that children with lice who are under going treatment for lice should continue to go to school? Ive never ever had headlice, but when I was at infants or junior school in the 80's if anyone had lice they weren't allowed in school. My son's school as do I think all schools and nurseries these days, allow children in once they've had treatment applied. At my sons school they had so many outbreaks over the last couple of years, but they've finally been able to contain the lice. X

Sent from my GT-I9300 using SalonGeek mobile app

Slightly off topic I know but can I ask whether any of you geeks agree that children with lice who are under going treatment for lice should continue to go to school? Ive never ever had headlice, but when I was at infants or junior school in the 80's if anyone had lice they weren't allowed in school. My son's school as do I think all schools and nurseries these days, allow children in once they've had treatment applied. At my sons school they had so many outbreaks over the last couple of years, but they've finally been able to contain the lice. X

They were a part of the family 25 years ago in boarding school. .along with worms! :)

Yes I agree children need to be treated and re treated 5 days later to suffocate any eggs that have hatched and combed everyday in between.

If children only get treated once the chances of them still being there are high,
So children shouldn't be at school, they arnt allowed to be there for 48hrs after last bout of dv so don't know why lice is any different it's still contagious

Thanks for all your advice. I was just so surprised by the response I got when I turned them away! I agree that if I've started cutting, I'd definitely finish (minus the blowdry). But to start a cut when there's a huge louse sat on the surface of the hair...no thank you!

Thanks for all your advice. I was just so surprised by the response I got when I turned them away! I agree that if I've started cutting, I'd definitely finish (minus the blowdry). But to start a cut when there's a huge louse sat on the surface of the hair...no thank you!

You done the right thing, I'd tell your boss to research head lice and see if he still has the same opinion

Yes I agree children need to be treated and re treated 5 days later to suffocate any eggs that have hatched and combed everyday in between.

If children only get treated once the chances of them still being there are high,
So children shouldn't be at school, they arnt allowed to be there for 48hrs after last bout of dv so don't know why lice is any different it's still contagious

I agree mm29. Would you believe when I worked in a nursery they said they could be treated sent straight back in and weren't allowed to be excluded as they couldn't be seen to be excluding anyone! Sorry not meaning to be thick what's dv?? Xx

Where I'm from at least, it's actually illegal for us to have anyone with headlice in the salon and we would be shut down by health and safety if we did.

Sent from my GT-I8190T using SalonGeek mobile app

I agree mm29. Would you believe when I worked in a nursery they said they could be treated sent straight back in and weren't allowed to be excluded as they couldn't be seen to be excluding anyone! Sorry not meaning to be thick what's dv?? Xx

lol diarrhoea vomiting

lol diarrhoea vomiting

Haha how stupid do I feel! Sorry you had to write that too lol!

Haha how stupid do I feel! Sorry you had to write that too lol!

Lol I was going to write runs and spew

Latest posts

Back