Health and Safety at home salon

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LaraBeauty

Reaction score
Hey,

Does anyone know if I need to display any health and safety signs etc for my beauty room at home (ie h&s poster, no smoking, coshh, etc...) do I need to notify environmental health or anything?

Thanks in advance x

Hey,

Does anyone know if I need to display any health and safety signs etc for my beauty room at home (ie h&s poster, no smoking, coshh, etc...) do I need to notify environmental health or anything?

Thanks in advance x

Yes it is a business regardless of where it is. You still need to display the correct methods and carry out the same procedures required by COSHH, Fire exit signs so your client knows how to leave the house, data protection methods if applicable, insurances, first aid kit, eye pods, fire extinguisher, consultation forms, accident book in case your client has an accident, falls over in your room, throws coffee on themselves and receives a burn etc. You have no need to contact environmental health and I don't believe you require a H&S poster as you are not involved with staff and this is predominantly for staff so they know who to contact regarding H&S issues..... it would be interesting to see how many people actually do half of this! However there are threads on here that state mortgages may cause an issue and you would have to switch from a residential to a commercial and then pay commercial rates. However I am on the understanding that the problems generally arise firstly if you mention it and secondly what business is it that you are carrying out. Building Insurance needs to be updated to.

Last edited:
That's great thankyou, I have everything in place but this so will get on to it. Want to make sure I am going about this the correct way to ensure safety of my clients as well as my business. X

Yes it is a business regardless of where it is. You still need to display the correct methods and carry out the same procedures required by COSHH, Fire exit signs so your client knows how to leave the house, data protection methods if applicable, insurances, first aid kit, eye pods, fire extinguisher, consultation forms, accident book in case your client has an accident, falls over in your room, throws coffee on themselves and receives a burn etc. You have no need to contact environmental health and I don't believe you require a H&S poster as you are not involved with staff and this is predominantly for staff so they know who to contact regarding H&S issues..... it would be interesting to see how many people actually do half of this! However there are threads on here that state mortgages may cause an issue and you would have to switch from a residential to a commercial and then pay commercial rates. However I am on the understanding that the problems generally arise firstly if you mention it and secondly what business is it that you are carrying out. Building Insurance needs to be updated to.

I have most of it,i think.Ive no mortgage anymore so don't have to worry about that,the council know,I have a fire extinguisher,smoke alarm,my building insurance covers business.I also have public liability and contents insurance.I don't have any signs up and my msds are probably lacking but are fairly quickly available on the net It is a minefield that I do try keep up with.I probably need a better first aid kit and I've never had an accident kit.

I have most of it,i think.Ive no mortgage anymore so don't have to worry about that,the council know,I have a fire extinguisher,smoke alarm,my building insurance covers business.I also have public liability and contents insurance.I don't have any signs up and my msds are probably lacking but are fairly quickly available on the net It is a minefield that I do try keep up with.I probably need a better first aid kit and I've never had an accident kit.

It's an accident book you need ..you can buy them from Amazon about £10. You are doing fab though. .. the very best of luck. . Glad I could help you. X

Sent from my GT-N7100 using SalonGeek mobile app

It's an accident book you need ..you can buy them from Amazon about £10. You are doing fab though. .. the very best of luck. . Glad I could help you. X

I was told the my local environmental heath that you can make any note book into an accident book, so just get a £1 note book its only there to document any incident as long as you write all the info down :)

Sent from my LT30p using SalonGeek mobile app

I was told the my local environmental heath that you can make any note book into an accident book, so just get a £1 note book its only there to document any incident as long as you write all the info down :)

Please look at the RIDDOR website. It may help you.

Please look at the RIDDOR website. It may help you.

Yes I have looked at that before are you say im wrong or what I was told by my local council is?

Very informative, I wasn't aware of the formalities for home salon. Must look in to it x thank you x

For data protection you can't just use a note book, it may be enough record it but not keep to the details secure enough to satisfy data protection. You need a perforated one, like virtues suggests, I got mine from amazon.

Jemima :)

For data protection you can't just use a note book, it may be enough record it but not keep to the details secure enough to satisfy data protection. You need a perforated one, like virtues suggests, I got mine from amazon.

Jemima :)

O well my council know nothing :'(
Official book ordered :)

Last edited:
O well my council know nothing :'(
Official book ordered :)

Not everyone that works in big organisations is knowledgeable unfortunately. . They are human at the end of the day and are only as good as the training they have received - providing they can remember it. I've disagreed with many very large organisations. .and proved to be right. I will always do my own research afterwards. To me this applies to doctors and hospitals for second opinions also if I deem it necessary!

Last edited:
Not everyone that works in big organisations is knowledgeable unfortunately. . They are human at the end of the day and are only as good as the training they have received - providing they can remember it. I've disagreed with many very large organisations. .and proved to be right. I will always do my own research afterwards. To me this applies to doctors and hospitals for second opinions also if I deem it necessary!

Agree :)

Hmmm, re accident book, when I was a childminder it just had to be a book that was safely secured. This is also what I am getting from Riddor website that says you need to store the details securely and that you 'could' use an HSE accident book.

You dont need to report non-employee incidents unless they are reportsble under Riddor (these are very very serious incidents only) http://www.hse.gov.uk/riddor/reportable-incidents.htm apply

My husband who has worked in and with Health and Safety for many years concurs.

Last edited:
Hmmm, re accident book, when I was a childminder it just had to be a book that was safely secured. This is also what I am getting from Riddor website that says you need to store the details securely and that you 'could' use an HSE accident book.

You dont need to report non-employee incidents unless they are reportsble under Riddor (these are very very serious incidents only) http://www.hse.gov.uk/riddor/reportable-incidents.htm apply

My husband who has worked in and with Health and Safety for many years concurs.

To be honest you are talking a few pounds for a proper accident book not hundreds..... I don't think so much of a fuss or a 20 page thread needs to made about it personally.... considering as the majority of people on here probably think H&S is just another clothes store!!

To be honest you are talking a few pounds for a proper accident book not hundreds..... I don't think so much of a fuss or a 20 page thread needs to made about it personally.... considering as the majority of people on here probably think H&S is just another clothes store!!

Thanks mum lol

Don't forget the PAT testing also - this is a requirement, and a very important one! Apologies for leaving it out...

Re: PAT testing, do I just contact a qualified electrician?

Re: PAT testing, do I just contact a qualified electrician?

Yes - if you explain that you require some PAT testing, they will ask you how many items you have and give you a quote, for a home salon you are not looking at many and it is not expensive- this must be completed every year, you will have a sticker put on all the plugs that have been tested and it will state the date when the next inspection is due.

Do you all keep a COSSH file for your products?

Latest posts

Back