Health & Safety rules for mobile business?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rose143

Very Proud Creative Geek
Reaction score
Hi Peeps,

I know I haven't been on here in a while and the site looks fantastic by the way! Business just keeps picking up which is a good thing but I can't spend as much time on here anymore and it actually gets me down sometimes because I really miss you guys :sad: Sorry, I'm pms'd too.

Anyway, the waxing is going well, the nails are going well and here's the shock bit ....... I have decided to take on my first employee, she is a hairdresser, she is brilliant and has such a passion for what she does, she is actually a client of mine. I know what you're all thinking .... I've only been full time self employed for 5 months how am I gonna make it .... I have enough to set her up, pay her and still pay my bills, she has her own car and she will be mobile. She has a great clientele and my clients are very up for this, they want me to get her started before December :Scared: I've given this loads of thought and stress and I'm happy with my decision. I just hope you guys won't think I'm nuts. I feel ready for all the responsibility that comes with this decision. The reason I am doing this is because one day I want my own beauty salon that does everything!!!!! Nails, beauty and hair all under one roof, God knows where I'm gonna find a roof big enough but anyway this is my dream. Everything I set out to do this year I have done and more!

Okay here's the advice bit, I need to know from you guys who do hairdressing as well as nails, what health and safety rules you have for being mobile. I have my own health and safety rules for being a mobile nail technician but what do you guys use? Also If you can think of any other advice you can give me that I may need to know please by all means spill the beans.

Peeps, I know this is a big step and it's very important to me, I've read loads on employing someone and will be seeing an accountant tonight to get some more info on where to start but in the mean time any advice is welcome. Yes I'm scared but hey, I was scared when I quit my full time office job too and I made it work, I have loads still to learn!!!

Love you all!!
xxxxxxxxxxxxx

hun i dont have any advice for you as i have not been in this situation but i wana say well done for wanting to branch out and good luck with it, im sure it will be fine:hug:

Sorry hun! I am rubbish at advice for stuff like this but you sound like you have it all worked out! It seems like a really good idea!!
Good luck to you hun! I bet you'll do great!!!! :hug: :hug:

Blooming hell Rose there's no flys on you !!

I cant help you much i am afraid i just want to say i admire your ambition and i hope that it all works out brilliantly for you !

It makes sense to me mto have a hairdresser on board - it all goes hand in glove.

I know little angel has been in business a long time and does hair beauty and nails.....pick her brains she has always been able to offer invaluable advice to me.

go girl !!

amb xxx:hug:

Wow you guys were quick!! :) you did make me smile though, I have very bad flu today ran out of Beechams yesterday so have been feeling very sorry for myself :)

Thanks for your wishes, it really means alot!!

xxxx

Way to go Rose, I'm happy for you! Goodluck Hope it all works out well.

Have a chat with Chrisbow, who has a hair and nail salon...

xx

Wow Rose, there's no holding you back - you'll be franchising soon!

The only thing that immediately came to my mind was, will you end up giving her your lovely client base to work on, get her a full appointment diary and then she'll say thanks Rose, but I'm going it alone now?

Also as an employee how would you cover her insurance? ie if she had a car accident whilst she was working.

Would you have to be the one to phone her clients if she was off sick?

I'm sure other people will think of many other Qs you need to ask her and yourself, but that's a few to get you started.

Also make sure you don't overdo it - you know what I'm talking about!!

ADiva1 said:
Way to go Rose, I'm happy for you! Goodluck Hope it all works out well.

Have a chat with Chrisbow, who has a hair and nail salon...

xx

Thanks Andrea, I'll pm her soon!

xxxx

Sassy Hassy said:
Wow Rose, there's no holding you back - you'll be franchising soon!

The only thing that immediately came to my mind was, will you end up giving her your lovely client base to work on, get her a full appointment diary and then she'll say thanks Rose, but I'm going it alone now?

Also as an employee how would you cover her insurance? ie if she had a car accident whilst she was working.

Would you have to be the one to phone her clients if she was off sick?

I'm sure other people will think of many other Qs you need to ask her and yourself, but that's a few to get you started.

Also make sure you don't overdo it - you know what I'm talking about!!

Lol!!! I lover your opening line!!!

This is it you see, I asked her (about 2 months ago) before I offered her the job about why she doesn't go mobile on her own and she said to me that she sees how I am and that I get very little time for myself and when I do have a day off I am doing paperwork etc. She said self employment does not interest her and she said she can't be bothered dealing with tax etc. So I said, yes but all the money is for you at the end of the day, she said no thanks, I still want my holidays with no worries and I still want to spend time with my fiance. So yes Sass you have a very good point but between us I don't see her doing that, and yes I have a great client base but so does she :wink2: She has well over 150 clients!!!! Nails don't interest her. I am being smart here (at least I hope so) and considering all angles this is why I posted this thread.

Thanks for the other questions my little friend I will have a think and see how I'm gonna play it, like I said I have loads to learn.

Don't worry I won't overdo it, I have been a bit more careful these days and flourishing nicely :wink2:

xxxx

Hi peeps,

Don't mean to be a pain but I am just bumping this back up to see if anyone has any other advice for me.

By the way do you need insurance as a hairdresser like we need as nail technicians. Who would I need to contact for things like this? Do you think Habia would be able to help with info or is that so the wrong direction to go?

xxxx

Hi babes, sorry I can't give you any advice - I'm sure loads of people can though. I just wanted to say good luck to you and I hope everything goes realy well for you. xx

Ola... I am a nail technician and own a tanning salon. I employ a Receptionist, Beauty Therapist, Hairdresser and three juniors. Yes you do need liability insurance but you should be able to upgrade your current insurance to include her instead of getting a whole new policy.

When you start employing people you need to make yourself aware of employment law issues. You need to provide written contracts of employment including holiday pay and sickness pay guidelines - If you don't you are opening yourself up for all sorts of tribunal type issues - one thing you should avoid like the plague!!! For free advice go to the acas website!

Acas will provide you with contracts free of charge but I advise you pay to have a contract to your specification (with a solicitor) as in our trade it is easy to be left high and dry. You can prevent her from working within a certain mile radius to you if she leaves for a given period of time or from servicing any clients you have put her in contact with through your trading name. It all might sound a little cynical now but believe you me TRUST NO ONE! I have been stung so many times but have learnt from my mistakes.

Feel free to pm me anytime for any more advise.

I don't want to put you off because employing people is the only way to expand... just do it cautiously and get as much information as you can!!!

p.s Just saw your query Re Health and Safety, as an employer this is your responsibility. Providing you train her and provide her with written Health and Safety guidlines you are covered if she has any sort of accident. Maybe get you and her on a course! Your local council will provide these!

Oh and how are you paying her - percentage / hourly - this will make a big difference to your profit margin!!!

Hi Room one,

Thank you for that very helpful advise, these are all the things I need to know about, this acas website, will that give me info on Employment laws etc? The Inland Revenue was not very helpful when I rang them with loads of questions about where I should start. If someone could just say to me, "Read this and go to this website you should find all the info you need", I'd be very happy but apparently it's not that easy.

How much would this solicitor cost to draw up a contract and all? I will however take you up on your offer about more advise if that's okay, like I said I have got lots to learn but don't want to shoot myself in the foot.

Thanks again hun, I will be pm'ing you :hug:

xxxx

I too can speak for Acas..just ring your local branch with any questions they are also great at sending you booklets on law, health and safety, contracts, etc, etc. but obviously no good with tax stuff, surprised your local inland revenue hasn't been more helpful, usually they are great...there is a national helpline, maybe they would be better for you, good luck!

Sorry, meant to mention contracts, will pm you as I am lucky enough to have a close friend and client who is pretty high up in ACAS that helps me with all contracts, etc

When you ring the Inland Revenue you have to make sure you get directed to the 'new employer' department... They will send you a big employers pack (great night time reading!) Alternatively I think you can download this from their website.

In terms of tax you need to speak to HM Customs and Excise but you do not need to concern yourself with this unless you are earning gross more than £53k per annum combined (although this has recently been increased to £60k)

However you could employ a book keeper to do this for you (much cheaper than using an accountant)

fiona wallace said:
Sorry, meant to mention contracts, will pm you as I am lucky enough to have a close friend and client who is pretty high up in ACAS that helps me with all contracts, etc

Thank you so much for your help Fiona, You're very kind, I truly appreciate your effort :hug:

xxxx

room one said:
When you ring the Inland Revenue you have to make sure you get directed to the 'new employer' department... They will send you a big employers pack (great night time reading!) Alternatively I think you can download this from their website.

In terms of tax you need to speak to HM Customs and Excise but you do not need to concern yourself with this unless you are earning gross more than £53k per annum combined (although this has recently been increased to £60k)

However you could employ a book keeper to do this for you (much cheaper than using an accountant)

Hi room one,

Thank you again for your help and advice, I will definatley give them a ring and make sure I go through to the right department. I am hoping for loads of reading, I love to learn more!

What tax are you referring to, the only tax I know about is what I pay to the tax man if I make over a certain amount per year, please excuse me for being so naive :o

I honestly don't know where I would be today without this site, the information, education and friends I've made are priceless!!!

xxxx

HM Customs & Excise is the VAT MAN Rose, as Room One says though, you don't have to worry about this until you have £60k turnover on your books. With regard to bookeeping/accounting, ther is a book called Vacount Account Book available from phone no.01723 892499 which will allow you to do your own bookeeping very easily as long as you do it monthly when your bank statements arrive, fill it in for a year and then hand it over to your accountant with all the receipts and they shouldn't charge you too much as you have already done most of the work (easily)...it will also allow you to do your VAT returns when you get over the threshold of 60k. HTH.

I'm in Australia so, obviously, there are different requirements but I'll give you my outcome anyway as I've recently gone through this process.

Safety Requirements
Like you, I became qualified via accredited courses and it was through my courses I learned what State dictated safety requirements were. I also learned that various departments have various requirements. When setting up, I also checked with the local Council with their requirements as I was working within their zone.

Employee Situation
Firstly, good for you. You've recognised a need, listened to your clientele and you've expanded your business accordingly. To protect this, as some others suggested, get a solicitor in to draw up an agreement between you two that will not only set out employment conditions but also protect your intellectual and business property. Businesses can and do prevent employees from taking on clients after they depart their employ. If this woman is as easygoing as you say she is, then she won't have a problem with that.

Future Expansion
You say you want to eventually have everything under one roof. Why not start now? Doesn't mean you have to whip out and find a premises but perhaps consider joining a business network or taking on a mentor in order to slowly and carefully flesh out ideas you obviously have within you. Like my ma used to say: better out than in!

I am delighted for you.
Best wishes for your endeavour.

Latest posts

Back