"Healthy" competition from office worker

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

trudy.trudylee

Reaction score
I work part time in an office & do therapies part time, but so does a colleague of mine & we do a lot of the same therapies! Getting a bit awkward now as she's put a special offer poster up in the loos undercutting all my treatments! I havent put anything up at work as I think it's my outside business I shouldnt bring into work. Am quite annoyed about it. Shall I just let it go? I have special offers too but it's gonna look like price wars in the toilet!

Where do you normally advertise and find your clients? Do you get many clients from your office?

Where do you normally advertise and find your clients? Do you get many clients from your office?

I'm on fb & twitter & waiting for google code to come thro. I only get people after offers from work which I keep telling myself that's all I'll get but we work so close to each other I'm just cross! Cos I can't really put my stuff up now

And just getting into local mags, and flyering as newly set up

Is it possible to have a pamper night in the office after work ?
Some ladies might like this as it's almost an extension of the working day.

I work part time in an office & do therapies part time, but so does a colleague of mine & we do a lot of the same therapies! Getting a bit awkward now as she's put a special offer poster up in the loos undercutting all my treatments! I havent put anything up at work as I think it's my outside business I shouldnt bring into work. Am quite annoyed about it. Shall I just let it go? I have special offers too but it's gonna look like price wars in the toilet!

Do u charge the same as salons that are in your area?

You could try working together?

Sent from my ST23i using SalonGeek mobile app

She might fall foul of a workplace 'conflict of interst' policy.

I'd leave her to it ... (Tbh it is a conflict of interest advertising at work unless your company have said it's ok to do so) some therapists worry to much about what others are doing instead of concentrating on your own business, Keep it strictly professional and give people from work to your business card / price leaflet / face book page to add you and advertise there ... (I wouldn't want to advertise in the loos ... !!!! )

You could talk to your building's site services and see what their policy is on her advertising her offers the way she is. I know some companies only allow a business card or price list on the noticeboard and nothing more. You could try talking to her once you know what you'd like to get out of the conversation. Alternatively, be classy and let her be. If I saw a beauty ad in the loo, I'd call that desperate.

You guys are all fab! Putting a different slant on it about being professional etc. I had nt ever asked at work as I think u shouldn't advertise your own business where u work. I just send pm"s on fb to work colleagues. I am going to ask HR what their stance is on this & I might just put a very pretty professional designed small flyer up & no more. Thanks for helping xx

Do u charge the same as salons that are in your area?

No I charge mid range of salons as I work from a v small room at a private swim pool. My colleague is mobile

No I charge mid range of salons as I work from a v small room at a private swim pool. My colleague is mobile

Why dont you charge top end if you have a pool? X

Because it can be noisy with kids whilst trying to do relaxin treatments, my room is mega small. (Although looking good with the space I have!) & the only toilet is thro the swimming pool which disturbs swimming clients & I have no facilities to make drinks except offer bottles of water , does that sound like I'm doing the right thing with prices? Just don't think my room. & surroundings match a nice pretty quiet salon x

Can your clients USE the swimming pool? Personally, I'd happily pay more to go somewhere that included bottled water, use of a pool and treatments as it would feel like a real treat, 'spa day' more than just a service if you see what I mean?

Can your clients USE the swimming pool? Personally, I'd happily pay more to go somewhere that included bottled water, use of a pool and treatments as it would feel like a real treat, 'spa day' more than just a service if you see what I mean?

They can only use it if no one has booked it out as they have a lot of regulars, they would also need to book in advance & pay the owner for the slot. But really good idea thanks x

I think i would find her advertising insulting if i was her employer lool!

Sent from my GT-I9505 using SalonGeek mobile app

I've just checked with HR & they're fine with it. So when my professionally printed colourful flyers come not offering cheapy discounts (they have to look on my website or fb etc) I will discretly put these up too.

Dont worry, its not a good idea to have people you work with as clients. She will be taking them down with her tail between her legs soon. When people know you they dont come to you for a proper treatment, they come to you for a knock off treatment, rarely pay and treat you like c**p. You don't need to advertise at work. In fact, your bosses are probably worried to death shes going to get busy and leave. She shouldnt be advertising other work there as it means shes not fully competent in her current role and is thinking about her other job while shes on the job. Dont do the same. x

Why are people so concerned about competition?

So what. If she's undercutting you, or putting up 'cheap looking flyers', and the fact you spoke to HR shows that you are p***ed off. The first thing we learnt at college was to never criticise another therapist.

If I was in your position I'd wish her the best of luck with her business.

Latest posts

Back