Heated mitts - Shellac removal

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I agree .. I think the last informational post was nasty and insulting and less accurate than the info already given by Grahm. Lots of googling and then posting which doesn't make anyone an expert even if they think they sound like one.

People can make up their own minds as to whether or not they want to go the heated mitt route.

I would never be intentionally nasty. I tried hard to word my response in a respectful but firm manner. Science is about accuracy. The post by virtues was not accurate.

I don't need to google - I did check one of my very old chemistry textbooks to make sure I wasn't saying anything untoward. It's been many years since I studied so thought I should reaffirm my knowledge before responding. In terms of time scale I'm pretty darn busy. So it's been on my to do list a few days.

I think it's quite important to explain in an accessible way why the post was not correct? If someone proclaims themselves an expert & actually they are neither an expert or correct then I think it is important to clarify.

I find your post quite unpleasant. But hey ho :D

Before this post is closed off- which I think is totally appropriate now, just wanted to say that I too, felt the reply to be quite nasty. I felt its tone was extremely condescending and quite frankly unnecessary. Because of the unkind, belittling tone of the post I immediately disregarded most of what was said in it to be honest. It totally discredited the point she was trying to make.

I find it saddening that Mr virtues gave up his time and effort and wrote a really detailed post on here, directly answering people's queries (which was clearly appreciated by most) but then it had to be spoilt so much by one person, changing the whole tone of this thread and leaving me with a bitter taste in my mouth!

Why can we not just be thankful that someone has taken their time to try to help us in our work? Someone who clearly has years of experience, is quite patently an expert, Someone who none of us actually know to challenge or question their career or relevance of their experience. Where else would you get that for free?

If I was mr virtues (or any other expert) I would feel discouraged from commenting on this forum again! It would be like dismissing Gigi's words on nail techniques for instance- a big no no as she has proven years of experience and success in this industry. Even if I did disagree with her or anyone else on a particular point feel there are ways and means of wording things appropriately. That was not an appropriate response in my opinion.

It's really sad as it has largely spoilt it for the rest of us! Please don't be put off Mr virtues (if he's even still around)!

Last edited:
It is pretty serious to state publicly that others are acting with reckless abandonment when it comes to customer safety. What if one of our clients actually found this thread full of scaremongering fictional stories of fires caused by mitts?

I try not to bore people with science & would not have responded had this thread continued as personal opinions voiced publicly.

But when someone became the voice of “authority” & their post was given the gravitas of expert testimony then the content became open to a level of scrutiny that a post of an individual is not.

I found it extremely irresponsible that someone offered unsupported personal opinion as expert scientific fact.

The reason an expert has to be qualified to at least PhD level is because their voice carries weight. People listen, opinions change and reputations are damaged. It means their knowledge base needs to be beyond reproach. No quantity of industry experience qualifies someone as an expert on an academic matter.

Were this in a newspaper there would be letters to the editor followed by a factual retraction/apology. Because the content was incorrect & defamatory.

Online the only recourse is to address one’s concerns via a response. I considered it necessary at that stage to respond with factual scientific content which refutes his position.

I did this in what I perceive to be a reasonable & rational manner. If others see differently they infer a tone that is not present.

If Mr Virtues feels in any way affronted then I extend my apologies – but I suspect as a grown man running a successful business he couldn’t give a fig & has moved on.

I personally like to learn & can accept when I have been wrong – it’s rare but does happen! Why so much venom when someone is corrected? It happens all the time in the real world.

Last edited:
Willowrose, regarding your dissatisfaction with Grahams post, please understand the use of the word 'circa'... it means in the region of/approximately. Exactly what you will find before the words' boiling point'. I haven't taken the time to read the rest of your post. Apologies, for Graham not displaying all of the letters after his name. There are quite a few. I'm pretty confident that If they were all listed, someone would disagree.

Latest posts

Back