Heated mitts - Shellac removal

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This thread had a very Daily Mail esque tone to it. There were lots of aggressive, ill informed, highly opinionated & defamatory posts.

Unless I had facts to back up my position I would never assert that others were in breach of their insurance or endangering their clients.

This thread had a very Daily Mail esque tone to it. There were lots of aggressive, ill informed, highly opinionated & defamatory posts.

Unless I had facts to back up my position I would never assert that others were in breach of their insurance or endangering their clients.

Lol :-D

All i know is that I did my fire Marshall training yesterday and they talk about the fire triangle; heat, fuel and oxygen and you need all 3. Slightly off topic though I am more concern that my car was written off and I could do with the wheat bags for my whiplash please !

It would have to be a freak occurrence for acetone to combust, unless you are really misusing it,

Well, then I must know some pretty freaky people because I personally know of TWO "freak occurrences" where the acetone combusted and there was no metal present in the microwave.

You can lead a horse to water, but you can't make it drink as they say. Whether you are putting hands in plastic bags (which will melt on contact with acetone) or not makes little difference.

Anyone using heat mitts for this procedure will not be insured since you are using equipment in a way the manufacturer would not recommend (and probably even warn against.)

It is an accident and a legal claim waiting to happen. I pity the eventual victim(s) but know their injuries will not be sustained from my salon or yours Victoria.

In answer to one of the OPs original questions: No it is not necessary, removal is quick enough if done properly.

DITTO! Any lawyer with a lick of sense is going to jump all over it if manufacturers directions are not followed. I'm not a lawyer and I sure as heck would.
To me, the risk isn't necessary, nor worth it.

This thread is worrying me.

Acetone is a highly volatile substance. It creates a vapour that travels and can be ignited from some distance away from the initial source eg with a spark created at a plug socket when it's switched on or if a plug is removed. If this happens there will be a flash back to the original source ie the heated mitts.

I know some geeks are saying they've not had a problem, but is it worth the risk? I doubt your insurance will cover you if there was a problem and also no one's mentioned the potential risk to the client? An explosion in their face?

I know this may all sound very dramatic, but I feel we always be aware of and minimise risks where possible. It may not happen, but if it does then I'm sure we'd all feel better knowing you'd take the right precautions in the first place.

There was in fact an 'explosion' and a woman was burnt. took place in a salon in the US (been trying to find the article).

Don't you love the "I've not had a problem"?
That's like the drunk driver, "I drive just fine, I've never had an accident":rolleyes:

There have been in incidents where nail techs in one room using acetone all day, have opened a door to another room where candles have been lit and just the vapour alone from the acetone has caused a fire. On route to fire marshal training as we speak so I will ask the question, to me agreed electricity and acetone don't mix.

Candles don't even need to be lit. Static spark can ignite the vapour.

Ps I use magis foils and they do a good job of retaining the heat in, plus I agree it usually takes 10mins for clients to decide what to have. You could also try to lightly buff off the top coat to help the acetone absorb quicker?!

Yes, lightly etching the top coat (especially if you've applied art, or layered colours etc) can reduce the time.

But as NancySyd has pointed out, there is no electricity - the gloves are switched OFF once they are heated, so I still can't see how they are going to spontaneously combust!

Faulty wiring can lead to a spark.....and you don't know it's faulty until it happens and then it's too late.
Additionally, mitts can get quite hot....what if set at the wrong temp and then WHOOOOOOOOOOOOOPS burned client.
Hey, accidents happen. That's why they are ACCIDENTS, they're not done on purpose.

My opinion in a nutshell is this: when things are done PROPERLY (beginning with application of product and ending with the removal process & timing for the wraps), the need for heat/warmth is negated. So, why take an unnecessary risk? Why risk a client?
Hey, if you want to risk YOUR health, by all means. That's your business and none of mine.

HOWEVER, I will admit to having wrapped a towel around to retain body heat for those with cold hands or feet, especially in the case of removing glitter (where I use a heavier layer of topcoat). And that works just fine.

Faulty wiring can lead to a spark.....and you don't know it's faulty until it happens and then it's too late.
Additionally, mitts can get quite hot....what if set at the wrong temp and then WHOOOOOOOOOOOOOPS burned client.
Hey, accidents happen. That's why they are ACCIDENTS, they're not done on purpose.

I think we have to keep some sense of perspective here. If we're going to start worrying about any bit of static and faulty wiring we may as well start performing our treatments in isolation cells, as I'm guessing most of us also have lamps on our tables and other electrical equipment in the vicinity of our working space! Maybe we should also start wearing special static slippers to prevent the build up of static on our feet in case that causes our clients to spontaneously combust as well?!

this is getting silly now and people are splitting hairs..

just because some techs use heated mitts and say they don't have a problem doesn't mean it's safe practice?? IMO it's not worth the risk - i have seen what acetone does to hard plastic surfaces ( my CND lamp cover and Shellac wall rack have sadly been ruined by acetone splashing from my menda pump

Shellac removes so quickly - by the time i would have got my heated mitts and plastic bags out of my stock cupboard, faffed about plugging it in waited for it to heat up, unplugged it, then placed clients hand in bags the wait time for removal would have lapsed?

i totally understand the desire to use mitts for harder to remove nail coverings but for Shellac? it's totally unnecessary

just my opinion though - please don't pounce on me for saying what i think.. after all, this is a forum to discuss and debate:D:D

Well, then I must know some pretty freaky people because I personally know of TWO "freak occurrences" where the acetone combusted and there was no metal present in the microwave.

I never mentioned anything about heating acetone in the microwave. .that came about from my comment saying "I don't care if people put their hands in the microwave, gas cooker, tumbledryer"...etc as a flippant comment. Apologies I will now be serious. .

The correct periodic formula for acetone it is CH3. Trailing vapors and static energy can cause combustion via flashback just by shaking hands when statically charged, which is possible. Commercial acetone is a miscible chemical where water is introduced to prohibit ignition (reduces the risk of ignition but doesn't prevent it)... you shouldn't use any heat source with such a volatile substance. Acetone is a solvent, it dissolves everything that gets in its way.

Sent from my GT-N7100 using SalonGeek mobile app

Commercial acetone is a miscible chemical where water is introduced to prohibit ignition (reduces the risk of ignition but doesn't prevent it)... you shouldn't use any heat source with such a volatile substance. Acetone is a solvent, it dissolves everything that gets in its way.

Exactly what I've been saying all along........

Exactly what I've been saying all along........

Sorry, but I would still quibble with this. There is a difference between a heat source and an ignition source. It is an ignition source, not heat that is the problem around acetone. Acetone is highly flammable, but unless you heat it to 525ºC it will not ignite without an ignition source like a candle, a static electricity or microwave spark. So things like a warmed flax/wheat bag, hot water bottle, a hydrocollator, or preheated unplugged mitts are quite safe around acetone.

I think this debate should now be closed ... The original question has been answered quite a few times now ... Which is that Shellac does not require heat for a fast removal.

Some have decided to 'take their chances' working with Acetone and heat with their gels and others have decided not to.

Quibbling is exactly what this thread has now turned into and quibbling can go on forever and I think I/we are for the most part 'over it'.

I think this debate should now be closed ... The original question has been answered quite a few times now ... Which is that Shellac does not require heat for a fast removal.

Although in fairness that was only one of the original questions, the others including :

"Is this safe?"

Opinions regarding which are varied, and so as long as facts are being brought forward to help the poster determine this, then surely the post is useful?

Although in fairness that was only one of the original questions, the others including :

"Is this safe?"

Opinions regarding which are varied, and so as long as facts are being brought forward to help the poster determine this, then surely the post is useful?

Smart question ... Answered. I think there has been some less than factual info given and not enough explanation .... I am not an expert in this field and neither is anyone else on this thread.

We've had claims about invalid insurances ... Claims about ignition sources, temperatures etc. I don't think anyone has mentioned figures regarding vapour concentration in a confined area, but this too is relevant ..

Until someone who is a real expert in the field comes forward it is "use your own common sense" time I think.

Shellac does not need heat to remove it quickly ... So for the OP whether it is safe or not to use heated mits with acetone isn't really relevant any longer for her. IMO

I think there has been some less than factual info given and not enough explanation .... I am not an expert in this field and neither is anyone else on this thread.

We've had claims about invalid insurances ... Claims about ignition sources, temperatures etc. I don't think anyone has mentioned figures regarding vapour concentration in a confined area, but this too is relevant ..

Until someone who is a real expert in the field comes forward it is "use your own common sense" time I think.

I agree entirely with this, it would be very useful to have some data from an expert in the field.

Since starting this thread I have received some Nourishing Remover as I have been mainly using acetone to remove Shellac and as the weather has turned and clients hands are colder...this was becoming an issue with removal.

However since using the Nourishing Remover this has made removal extremely easy! Even if the clients have cold hands as the macadamia oil still works and doesn't allow the Nourishing Remover to evaporate/dry up like acetone does.

With using Nourishing Remover there is no need at all for a heat source as it makes the Shellac literally slide off the clients nails and isn't drying at all.

So I can say that I will definitely not be using heated mitts to remove my clients Shellac...I'm not sure removal could get any easier really.

Since starting this thread I have received some Nourishing Remover as I have been mainly using acetone to remove Shellac and as the weather has turned and clients hands are colder...this was becoming an issue with removal.

However since using the Nourishing Remover this has made removal extremely easy! Even if the clients have cold hands as the macadamia oil still works and doesn't allow the Nourishing Remover to evaporate/dry up like acetone does.

With using Nourishing Remover there is no need at all for a heat source as it makes the Shellac literally slide off the clients nails and isn't drying at all.

So I can say that I will definitely not be using heated mitts to remove my clients Shellac...I'm not sure removal could get any easier really.

Excellent I'm glad you got it sorted in the end xx

My husband is an mechanical and chemical process engineer who designs and consults for the critical chemical process industry. He works with the most volatile substances. He is also an innovator and inventor to most industries and is an elected member of the MIoD. he is an expert in this field, along with many others. The comment I made was not incorrect. However the facts and figures regarding vapour concentration I can easily get. .but is it really necessary! Even with the facts surrounding it. .would it really make any difference to those that use it for this purpose. No. Probably wouldn't even be understood by most. There is little more to say here.

Last edited:
My husband is an mechanical and chemical process engineer who designs and consults for the critical chemical process industry. He works with the most volatile substances. He is also an innovator and inventor to most industries and is an elected member of the MIoD. he is an expert in this field along with many others. The comment I made was not incorrect.

Brilliant!! That sounds expert enough to me. Never doubted you Virtues! Lol

Perhaps he would be so kind as to read through this thread and put right some of the miss-information and also add more insight on the insurance issue and the Ignition, flash point and safe volume levels in air. What does he recommend re using electrically heated mitts (power on and off)?

I would also love clarification on the 525°C figure that was quoted. It has always been my understanding that the temp for flash point of Acetone was much lower ... I myself saw a technician put a bowl of something in the microwave one day and in less than 2 seconds it ignited. I thought it was her lunch or I would have freaked, but it was Acetone! Had no one been there it could have been very dangerous. I find it hard to believe that 3 ounces of Acetone reached a temperature of nearly 977°F (525C). in less than 2 seconds! Perhaps possible but I'm not an expert.

Ok Geeg... I've forced my husband upstairs (all for the wrong reasons lol) to answer these questions.

Ok Geeg... I've forced my husband upstairs (all for the wrong reasons lol) to answer these questions.

Thank you .. I'm sure everyone will appreciate it so much. Thank you, Mr Virtues, for taking time out on your weekend! We will be forever grateful! :hug:

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back