Hedgehog - what to do?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We call our lil one pickle, I'm still finding it very strange that she just wonders in lol and that the cat has made friends with her

We had 2 that would be 'doing their business' on our back lawn. The mating shuffle/dance they do is hilarious and our cat used to sit and watch!!! [emoji23][emoji23]

They are really good at keeping slugs and snails down in the garden. I'm sure I saw on tv that badgers eat them which I really hope isn't true.

ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1473920159.664983.jpg

Someone had a sleep over - heard rustling this morning and behind a unit

That's so cute. Is he/she building a nest?.

I think it's planning to stay for hibernation.

No nest, but she had found some letters and bits and pieces that had obviously fallen down and that's all what she's sitting on lol

You'll go down one morning and find it hibernating. It sure beats an old wood pile or someone's bonfire.

Awww, soooo cute. Haven't seen a hedgehog for years xx

ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1473960765.992221.jpg

Here's the hedgehog that comes to our garden nearly every evening, on this occasion I was out in the garden in the pitch black having a sneaky breath of fresh when he came and ran right over my slipper [emoji33][emoji23][emoji177]

OMG I totally want a hedgehog to adopt me! I'm going to google how to attract them xx so cute xx

I'm glad to see they seem to be thriving this year all over the place, as a few have commented and myself hadn't seen any for years it seems until the past 6 months

Is he still around Sara Jane or has he gone into hibernation?

Well from us cat food and water, in the garden I'm assuming bugs of all sorts lol not to give them fish or milk though x
Put some raw egg yoke... they love it xxx

Gone into hibernation now I think x

Hedgehogs go into hibernation when the ground freezes and they can no longer dig.

Mine disappear in early December. Obviously extreme weather will affect this but it would be rather odd for them to hibernate now - the ground is soft, there are still berries, all their normal food sources are available.

I take my injured wildlife to the hospital at Trent Park. They are very willing to offer phone/facebook assistance. If you are in doubt get in touch with them as they know everything there is to know. I *think* I remember that hedgehogs have to be around 500g to survive hibernation. Worth double checking that!

If I had a hedgehog that tried to get in my house I would put the food bowl just outside my door and inch it up the garden nightly. She should have hedgehog friends and spending the nights with you & your cat means either something is up with her or she needs encouragement to mingle :)

Also, they can suffer mange, ringworm, ticks and not all parasites will be visible... They're cute but they belong outside :)

Last edited:
ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1475695273.123447.jpg

Here's a baby hedgehog that I found last November at the side of a road barely moving that I took to the vets I called a month later and they told me she'd survived and was back to good health I love hedgehogs [emoji7]

Obv ours isn't hibernating just yet! This was just after lunch today!
ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1476367765.766916.jpg

Latest posts

Back