Hello new and with a question

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Squeezy

Reaction score
Hi,

Hope you can help. I currently have highlights, so varying shades of blonde through roughly 2/3 of the hair. As seems to be the case, they've built up so that it is very blonde on top and I get roots v quickly (base of about a 5).

I know from my hairdressing course, in order to go back to brown then I need to put the warmth back in first to avoid green / beigey sludge colour. What do you think I should use? I have bought a 66/45 colour touch and then 5/37 Koleston, does this sound even remotely right? I used Koleston at college, so know my way around Wella better than any others, but I am rusty when it comes to anything more than basic tinting.

Could any of you help? I have read some posts and seen a colour mousse might work before the tint? It's a shame as I like my highlights, but other than a very experienced (and thus very expensive £140!) colourist that seemed to blend the blondes and browns just right, I get roots within a couple of weeks and a month in I'm conscious it looks a bit tacky....

Thanks for reading, this is a great site! x

are u training to b e a hairdresser right now? why dont u get on of ur class mates to do it, or go to a training college? x

Hiya thanks for the reply. I finished my nvq2 a while ago and live quite
a trek away which is why I'm hoping to do it myself. Just a bit new to the
pre-pig and want to make sure I'm on the right lines x

Hi, so are you thinking of pre pigging with the 66/45 red satin colour touch first or mixing it in with the 5/37 deep warm gold ?

anyways I would do a couple of test pieces on these highlights with the above colours so you will know exactly how its going to turn out,
and to see if there is any grab :hug: hth minky

Thanks minky I was going to colour touch first then follow it with the 5/37 once dried. Will do a test first unless anyone could suggest a better route?

I personally woundnt pre pigment with 66/45 its too reddy. To return to a brown base 5 you need to repace the orange and yellow tones in the hair not red and i think u would see red tones through whatever colour you decide to put on top. Why not try a color mousse like indola or clynol with an orange tone and then colour over that.

I was told at college that if you want to go to a base shade from a blonde you can aslong as it has no tone to it and is all natural. so if you want a base shade 5 you put on a 5/00. or if you wanted the 5/37 you would mix the 5/37 with part 5/00 so it would put some base back and have something to grab to. i have just left college so please somebody let me know if i am not on the same track.

Thanks all, that all makes perfect sense, I'll go to the wholesalers tomorrow and get a mousse to be on the safe side. So glad I consulted you guys first it's been a while since I did my colour theory! I'll look for the right mousse and get some 5/00 aswell, do a test and if all ok then take the plunge x

Hi , princess , I don't think the hair is all natural ?

I think Squeezy said it is bleached blonde hair ?

and the darker you go the more orange /redder the pre pigger ,

if it is very bleached and porous it will need a deep orangey pre pigger to take it back down to a base 5/37 brown
as the base 5 may grab on the bleached bits and go darker

also I would suggest a couple of levels lighter ,
perhaps a warm level 7 in colour touch so you wont get too much grab
and you may not have to pre pigg it with gold if it is warm enough ?
so test piece it first ,

but if it is highly bleached it may need a little gold pre pigger before applying a warm level 7 on these parts first
(you can do this with a gold mousse)

I would suggest doing the mid lenghts and ends the very last with the colour touch if they are very bleached and porous (incase of grab)

Scottydolly had a similar thread to this one recently :)

Ps....I still think test pieces are the way forward here :hug:
let us know what you decide ?

Right, I've been testing all afternoon! The copper Indola got me to the right sort of brown, but the colour was a little flat and patchy. The 66/45 as predicted was way too red. On the good side, the colour touch took really well and very evenly, the colour in the end was a deep purpley brown - not a bad colour, just not what I'm after (I've been tinting my sis to a similar shade for a couple of years, so she'd love it lol). So, as suggested by Minky it looks like a more orangey based 7 is going to do the trick. I'll nip and get a colour tomorrow and do one last test. I'll have to get it right this time as otherwise my head will end up like Josephs amazing technicolour dreamcoat lol!
Thanks for the help all, it's been a real learning curve and has made me realise that I've still got alot more to understand with colour x

Latest posts

Back