Help About Client

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
B

buttonmoon

oops, didnt mean to shout, just had a client come to my door (she lives around the corner) and said 3 of her nails had come off and one was lifting off

i done her infills 6 days ago (monday) and she wasnt due for infills again untill valentines day
she had lost 3 nails on her right hand and her ring finger was liftinf up, but still attached at one side and tip.
she is right handed and the nails on her left hand are fine (+ right hand thumb)

i said i would go round in morning and repair but only charge her for 2 repairs instead of 4 (i usually include 2 repairs with infills)
why did i say id only charge for 2?
this makes it sound as if it is my fault
is it my fault
why has this happened?

she is a mother and works in a supermarket on tills.

help!!!

xx

Hi,
I would charge for all the nails, Its NOT your fault that she has lost some.
This is really what annoys me about our profession, Clients feel that its our responsibility to keep their nails looking like they did the day they were done.
If someone went to a hairdressers and then 6 days later their hair didn't look the same has the day they had it done, Would they go back to have it done again for FREE i don't think so.

I know its hard to say no. i always say a minimum booking of an hr otherwise there will be a call out charge. but then i don't always stick to that!:irked:

I have it in black & white on all of my price lists now "minimum booking time applies" and i find it a little easier now. i include 1 tip in my infills.
if some1 calls to say a nail has came off and they want it repaired i just explain to them that its going to cost X amount or they can wait til there infill and it works out better. more often than not they wait, and if they don't then i will fit them in when i am in there area. its hard enough been mobile, your time is precious. The just feel, although we don't want to upset our clients, we have to be firm otherwise they'll take the P. Can i ask, do you work on a Sunday? I'd be quite annoyed by that. This is another thing about been mobile, we're open all hours apparently!! one lady called me at 10pm, " can you fit me in for a full set of nails NOW" .....errr NO!!

buttonmoon54321 said:
oops, didnt mean to shout, just had a client come to my door (she lives around the corner) and said 3 of her nails had come off and one was lifting off

i done her infills 6 days ago (monday) and she wasnt due for infills again untill valentines day
she had lost 3 nails on her right hand and her ring finger was liftinf up, but still attached at one side and tip.
she is right handed and the nails on her left hand are fine (+ right hand thumb)

i said i would go round in morning and repair but only charge her for 2 repairs instead of 4 (i usually include 2 repairs with infills)
why did i say id only charge for 2?
this makes it sound as if it is my fault
is it my fault
why has this happened?

she is a mother and works in a supermarket on tills.

help!!!

xx

Hiya Button,

Sorry I don't mean to be rude but I think this lady is asking a bit much! When I was about 16 I used to work on tills and I had extensions for two years and I trained myself to be aware that I am wearing tips!

It is understandable that you could get the odd break or two but it's all down to looking after them. And besides she should know if they are too long for her job and what is a comfortable size for her. I used to have very long nails when working at this supermarket and customers could not believe how I looked after them. It is possible that she can be a bit more careful.

Don't beat yourself up about only charging for two, this is how we all learn darling, don't worry :hug:

Sorry ... didn't mean to ramble on but it takes two people to achieve beautiful long lasting nails, you and your nail technician.

Luv

Rose

no, i dont work weekends, she was going to step into the house but i kind of stopped her, i was in p.j's n tidyin up!
i think she might have been expecting them to be done today, just coz im round the corner
i kno i should have charged for them all but she was right in front of me and making it seem like it was my fault coz the other hand was fine
arghhhhhh!
i'll get this right one day!!
xxx

oh bless ya.........
it allways happens doesnt it you do a brand new set and they are fine, they retuen for infills and within days your client suffers breakages.....leaving us feeling like is it something we have done..of course it isnt and usually down to coincidence.
why dont you say to her
"i will charge you for the 3 repairs and rectify your lifting for free...........or you can wait until your next maintenance and you will be only charged for one repair(as you include 2 free repairs)
this gives her a choice and sounds like you are still doing her a favour either way.
hth and hugs

the thing is, they were only done 6days ago and they are fine apart from the 3 that have fell off and the ring finger which is nearly off
the only lifting there is, is the ring finger which is coming off, so i'll have 2 take this 1 off and put new ones on the 3 that have came off

i was just curious that they were all on her right hand (shes right handed)
and wondered if it was something she had done?

they were all ok at her infills (well, she had broke one but thats when she was drunk!)

was it me or something she done?

xxx

something she has done.......i put money on it
dont worry yourself hun,
if her left hand is ok no lifting etc then its not down to you,
she has broke three and has bad lifting on one then this is down to undue pressure,
when you remove the lifted enhancement note the state of her natural nail underneath.
be confident with her even though you may feel different...........she has definately caused this herself

hi,
i have clients all day long explaining how they "just came off" and i must admit in the beginning i felt bad and to blame and did a lot of freebies, but you can tell whether a nail has just lifted (prep) and whether it has had helping hand (trauma to nail bed). I often find that when i explain my confusion to the client, they suddenly remember "ah, yes, i did catch it the other day" i always balance the 90% of clients who come back again and again with perfect nails and the 10% who just "dont know how it happened" x

hi, i too have had clients where their nails have just 'fallen' off, i still find it absolutely astounding ! dont blame yourself however much you want to, once she leaves your salon or you walk away they are her nails and she needs to respect that they are jewels and should be treated that way.if she didnt have the extensions what state would her natural nails be in? read some of the other treads, especially some of the ones that gigi or ruth have replied to, about repairs etc and you will see it happens to all of us, some clients think we fell of the last cloud ! i bet when you do her nails and you start asking subtle questions, i am a mother and i know this happens, how do you manage with car seats with your nails this length ? or doing up school buttons or sandwich box lids ! see if she blushes :D or does she 'worry' them ? i bet she does have a little pick ....... so be strong, you are the proffessional, and good luck.snooks x

hi!

(I only found this site recently & am a bit of a technophobe so please bear with me!)

I just had to reply to your post - I've had various nail enhancements for years now & have often had nails lift or come off and only once did I ever think it was down to shoddy application. Usually it's accidental & then I haven't been able to resist or haven't realised I've picked at it & sometimes it's simply been because I work for a living & do my own housework! I've always found that being honest about it & asking my nail tech politely how soon they can fix it has worked wonders. (With the odd lecture & purchase of aftercare stuff!) Maybe your client doesn't understand the concept of basic good manners, if she's any sense she'll appreciate how good you've been about things. If not it'll be her loss in the end.
As I type I notice my right hand always starts to "go" faster than my left - oops!
Good luck with things - I'd lay money on this not being your fault. Ros x

One of my pet hates is the "It just fell off" comment. It drives me mad. I've got no problem with clients coming in and saying they hit/caught it on...... whatever, but don't tell me it just fell or popped off!!

I know, and you know Buttonmoon, that they do not just fall off!!! I have been wearing my own enhancements now continuously for three years, I have never yet had one "just fall off", I have broken quite a few (through various accidents) but always at the free edge never off the nail bed. We can all see stress on the nail bed where the enhancement has not just jumped off on its own! Since your client has no lifting on the left hand, I can't see that it is anything you have done, but I know it can really knock your confidence when clients blame you.

I had a dream once. I was sitting watching the TV and suddenly noticed that all my nails were on the sofa beside me! I thought "bl*@#y hell, they do just fall off". When I woke up I decided that I needed to get out more often!!!

Hiya, definitely sounds like your client is heavy handed and nothing to do with your hard work! It's so annoying when the finger points at the techincian!

i am going to repair her nails at 10.30am and feel like i have admitted it was my fault because im only charging her for two and not 4

how do i put it in a nice way that it is not my fault?
xx

she just called to cancel- her washing machine is broke and she needs every penny to go get a new one today, i said ok would you like me to book you in for another day this week?
she said the thing was, she was gonna have to put every penny toward getting new washing machine and she doesnt get paid till friday

was this a hint to have 'credit'?

this is when i get scared and think she will just chew them off and not bother coming back at all!
xxx

nikki.r said:
hi,
i have clients all day long explaining how they "just came off" and i must admit in the beginning i felt bad and to blame and did a lot of freebies, but you can tell whether a nail has just lifted (prep) and whether it has had helping hand (trauma to nail bed). I often find that when i explain my confusion to the client, they suddenly remember "ah, yes, i did catch it the other day" i always balance the 90% of clients who come back again and again with perfect nails and the 10% who just "dont know how it happened" x

i had a client who came in and said ALL her nails came off while she was asleep in bed! I thought she was trying to get her money back because she had wanted them for a one off special occasion and now it was over she didn't want the nails. My first reaction was to tell her to get lost, but my boss thought we should give her a new set for free! I was angry because I felt this called into question my ability to do the job. My boss just wanted to keep the peace. She got her free set and I was left questioning my skill as a technician.

can i just ask, would smoking have an effect on her nails?
x

buttonmoon54321 said:
can i just ask, would smoking have an effect on her nails?
x
might stain them a bit and maybe the odd singed one if carless when lighting/extinguishing... :D

buttonmoon54321 said:
she just called to cancel- ....
she said the thing was, she was gonna have to put every penny toward getting new washing machine and she doesnt get paid till friday

was this a hint to have 'credit'?

this woman has got the cheek of the devil, if you ask me its sounds like youre better off without her.
What is she usually like with her nails?
Is she a regular client?

I know its hard as you don't want to get a bad rep, but i just think if you give one freebie she'll expect it all the time. When i 1st started i never used to charge for tips (yes i know how silly!!) as i was convinced it must be down to me. but then they started to loose more and more so i put my foot down, well i printed a pricelist and gave it to them, and pointed out that infills only included 1 replacement tip. And it was like magic, their nails stay on!!

Keep us posted hun, just don't let her push you around.

xxx

so far she has only had full set and infills
im just wondering y its only her right hand fingers
she is busy mum, works, smokes,cooks, cleans
she might just not be used to them
i must stand my ground!!
xxx

Latest posts

Back