Help! Allergy alert

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cherie0304

Reaction score
Help!! Hv a client who has developed allergies to gel/polish. I use CND & Gelish Gel and OPI & Vinylux Polish. Can anyone suggest or recommend and “5 free” products I can use on her. Removal is ok as I cover her toes/nails in Vaseline and then remove. I myself am allergic to acetone/isopropyl/latex so I’d be very interested to hear from anyone as I may change up my product line to help me too. TIA

There is no such thing as "5-free" gel or gel polish products - this is marketing nonsense. As the human body makes acetone itself, it is not possible to be allergic to that.

Changing product line is not the whole solution. Allergies are caused by prolonged overexposure where the uncured or under cured product has come into skin contact usually over years. Unless you learn to avoid skin contact in the future, changing product will simply mean new allergies develop.

It is good that you have reached out for advice. But it is really important to get the information you need, otherwise there is a risk that you will not be able to work with nail products in the future.

There is no such thing as "5-free" gel or gel polish products - this is marketing nonsense. As the human body makes acetone itself, it is not possible to be allergic to that.

Changing product line is not the whole solution. Allergies are caused by prolonged overexposure where the uncured or under cured product has come into skin contact usually over years. Unless you learn to avoid skin contact in the future, changing product will simply mean new allergies develop.

It is good that you have reached out for advice. But it is really important to get the information you need, otherwise there is a risk that you will not be able to work with nail products in the future.
Thank you for your reply. this is a fairly new client and she came to me after being recommended by a client to see if her problems continued. I saw how bad her skin was and recommended she get medical help. Unfortunately as I know first hand once the area is irritated it will continue to be sore until completely healed and she has now gone to her doctor for Cream to help heal her skin.
I don’t take kindly to your assumption that I touch the skin when applying product. I meticulously take care of my clients and this has never happened to me before in my years of being a nail technician.
As for being allergic to acetone I’d like to point out that hav’g been to an allergy clinic at Guys Hospital I am indeed allergic. To acetone and take medication for this to help me.
Thank you for the advice.

It would be best of her GP referred her to a dermatologist for a "patch test", where different nail product ingredients are tested for sensitivity. From this you can look for products that don't contain these. Most probably, one of these will be HEMA.

Latest posts

Back