Help!Career progression...?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lashed11

Reaction score
Hey geeks,

I have been thinking about my career aspirations etc recently and I'm kinda starting to wonder what's next for me... I am currently running my own mobile beauty business and have been for a few years...It's going great and I love my clients, i love building a relationships and running a hectic diary, and i really feel like I have taken the freelance business to the max, but to be honest I am starting to get a bit bored :-/... The driving with all the equipment, unloading and loading it all back in...I regularly go on training courses to try and keep myself motivated but still, I end up getting bored...I love the industry, but my working life right now Is starting to really make me think about the future and where I want to be. I have thought about opening a salon which is the next step and an amazing thing to alot of people, but to be honest, for me, it doesn't make me feel motivated. I think the way forward for me is actually training or something...

I have been researching job profiles etc and I would love to go into training/ area manager stuff with a company. The idea of meeting new people and opening new accounts on a wider scale etc looks so pressurised but motivating! I can see myself doing a job like that. My only problem is the experience? How do you get these jobs? I am a sole trader. So I see this as quite a big step (is it too big?)... How to people make the transition? I understand I am not in a position to apply for these type of positions right now, but I'm not sure how to get there?

Are there any trainers / area managers out there that can help with my questions? What were your jobs before and do you have any advice?

Any replies would be greatly appreciated :)

A lot of companies have a careers section where they advertise the sort of jobs you're talking about where you can see the person specification there.

Hope that helps if only a bit :)

Personally I say just go for it, if you think it's the right move and that you would enjoy the role start applying!
Every role I have had in this industry (and there has been a few!) I didn't think I really had the experience for yet went for it and with the passion I have for the industry coupled with dedication and the knowledge I possessed at the time I managed to get every one of them.
It's not always about the experience, I landed my first trainer role with a huge international comapany with only 2 years of salon experience but I loved training and this obviously showed through.
My advice; think about what you want, what motivates you and gets you excited and then start putting the pieces together that will take you to where you want to be. Don't ever let the fact that you haven't actually had that role before stop you, if I had listened to the doubters I would never have ended up where I am today. Good luck!

Thanks for your replies :) I am researching different companies ...

I know with all jobs there are parts you love and parts you dont really like...Are there aspects of being a regional manager/trainer that you don't like? I think I will find it so strange going from being self employed to employed!but long term, I can see it as the next step...:)

I'm also really unsure of what the "normal" interview process is for these type of jobs, do you normally have to prepare a presentation? I suppose there is no harm in applying for anything I fancy, you never know!

X

Latest posts

Back