Help, confused about apprenticeship!!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Amore Hair

Reaction score
Hi every one,

so i no it's only february but im thinking about next year at college already!!

Im currently doing the VRQ Level 2 in womens hairdressing and am also doing teh barbering course alongside it.

My own hairdresser has just contacted me as i'd mentioned to her taht i would liek to do my second year as the NVQ Level 2 apprenership as opposed to full time in college. The college is in a commercial salon although we don't get that many clients in, i do take my own for as many practical sessions as possible so im ok but other students rarely have their own clients.

I think that by doing my second year as appretice woill be so much more beneficial to me in relation to experience and knowledge. However, im turn 25 in 2 week :sad:.

I am aware that this means that government funding will not be available for me to do teh course but im not sure exactly what this means????

Because im not on any relevant benefits i have paid to do my courses and will have to pay to do the course next year so am i right in thiking that if i chose to do teh apprentership it would just mean i will still have to pay to do teh NVQ level 2 course as apprentice?

im so confused???? and i feel so happy that my hairdresser is willing to offer me the opportunity but i just know she wont be able to afford to if this lack of funding will cost her?

The nat minimum wage for first year apprentice is £2.60 if over 19 turning to national minimum wage the 2nd year. More info is on chives.gov.uk: The National Minimum Wage rates - Directgov Mobile hope it helps coco

Hiya, Itotally get teh nationl minimum wage, its the government funding that i dont understand, if your 16- 19 then the employer recieves 100% goverbnment funding for teh training of teh apprentice, 19- 24 they will recieve 50% fundung towards the traiing 25+ soem councils will award upto 25% funding but other areas of teh country you dont recieve any funding towads the apprentices learning?

if it just means i will be expected to pay for my course then thats fine, i already was expecting to have to pay for teh course, but doe it mean any thing else?

I am making any sense????!!!!

I have no idea on that, but if it were me I'd go on the council's website and ask them about it, or directgov have a contact list on the site, but if u paid the course then u would be earning her more than £2.60 ph so in all it would be an investment, but guess she worked that out before offering u the place xoxo

Hi
As I understand it your Sign up date does not have to be the same date as your start datefor your apprenticeship. Could you enquire about signing up before you are 25 and delaying your actual start until you have completed at college? Are you full time at college? Could you do part time at new placement until you can get your college assessments finished?

I work doing apprenticeships, not in your industry but I can't see why it would be any different. ask your potential apprenticeship training provider and see what they say. If they aren't helpful I would ask around a few apprenticeship training companies to see if they might be more helpful.

Hi
As I understand it your Sign up date does not have to be the same date as your start datefor your apprenticeship. Could you enquire about signing up before you are 25 and delaying your actual start until you have completed at college? Are you full time at college? Could you do part time at new placement until you can get your college assessments finished?

I work doing apprenticeships, not in your industry but I can't see why it would be any different. ask your potential apprenticeship training provider and see what they say. If they aren't helpful I would ask around a few apprenticeship training companies to see if they might be more helpful.

Hi,

thanks fo rthat, even to sign up at 24 now i still wouldnt be entitiled to 100% fundng from the governmen. Can you explain to me what exactly the funding that the government provides is used ofr?

Hi
Our Learners get 100% free apprenticeships they dont have to pay towards their course at all and they get paid by their work placement providers (employers) Our Company gets funding from the overnment based on the age of our learners (and the type of course they are doing).

We get more money for 16-18 year olds than 19-24 year olds.

There are other funding options for older learners such as Train to Gain and Learner Age Grants. There are also some money incentives available at the moment for employers to encourage them to take on apprentices. Apprenticeships are getting a huge push from the Government at the moment.
HTH

Latest posts

Back