Help, don't want to do Matrix

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

charlotteleanne

Reaction score
Hi all. We are currently using Matrix in our final few weeks at college.
I have found noticed the sark colours are going 2 shades darker maybe more. If a client asks for a number 4 they are getting a number 2, sometimes a one. So we are having to go 2 shades lighter to achieve the colour the clients want. This has totally put me off matrix. As I qualify soon and going mobile I need a shade chart/colour that is spot on and true to their swatches! Whats the best brand that is accurate? Please help thanks!
Ps: matrix blondes are dead accurate. Its just the other shades.

Oh client is going from bleach blonde number 10 and wants a chocolate brown. Any tips x

ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1463833757.796185.jpg
ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1463833769.655828.jpg

That's got copper in it, I don't know matrix but I'd look for a copper brown, in my colour line that colour would be 5.43 you need to pre pig mind to take a level 10 darker by that much

With such a major colour change, I'd definitely strand test a few combinations to see which one works best as it's likely to be extremely porous and this will affect the final result.

What colour line is true to its shade chart? Like if I put a number 4 on someone, it will actually go a 4? And not a 2? Xxx

I want a brand of colours that are true to their shade chart. Like if a client wants a 4, she gets a 4 and not a 1 or 2? Whats the best colours which are spot on with their shades?
Matrix goes 2 shades darker all the time and I don't like the fact I have to work out what shade will get the desired effect as when i choose anything after colour 3 it goes 2 maybe 3 shades darker. I follow the man instructions but to no joy. Any help would be appreciated xxxx

Do you have access to the Color Sync Demi line in Matrix, if so to get that tone in the picture use 6WN + 6N, with the WN line you can fill & color the hair with it at the same time. Normally in other lines you would have to fill, but the WN will be the filler and the 6N will be the neutral holding base tone. Use these in equal part for 25 minutes in the hair check it to see if it needs more time, but the regular timing for Color Sync is 25 minutes, but you can leave on up to 45.
If you don't have Color Sync, then use SoColor 6 W + 10vol to fill for 15 minutes, rinse out only no shampoo and then towel dry and put 6N + 6W + 10vol in equal part for up to 30 minutes.
Matrix Socolor is a European based level system, that is why the level 5 and down seem darker to you., from level 6 and up they start to make more sense and spread out like American Based level system does.
-Mags Kavanaugh

I don't want to use matrix as i shouldnt really need to do that for a simple base 4. I'm asking for a brand thats true to its chart? Any ideas? X

I was going to suggest Matrix, I think they're very true to swatch.
I've never had a problem with them being darker.
Have you had training in Matrix and are you using all the correct components, ie, Matrix developers etc, not generics?

Colour swatches in charts are a guide to the end result. They generally follow the ICC number formula although brands like Matrix and Goldwell use letters for their tonal values. Some brands have an underlying green base or a blue base to them.

Hair Colouring isn't a matter of picking the colour from the chart, applying it and the end result replicating the colour swatch exactly. (That's just what clients think we do!)

It's impossible for the chart to provide you with an exact shade match for the result of hair that you're colouring because the starting point will always be unique to that head of hair. For instance, the swatches in the chart on a base 6 and above are coloured on hair that's around base 10 with virtually no yellow tones. Only a very tiny percentage of clients (less than 1%) will have that hair colour naturally.

The science behind colouring hair is what you need to learn about and will be covered in more depth on Level 3 (and 4) courses.

Hairdressers who are passionate about colouring go on to do 'colour degree' courses with their chosen colour house so that they can become experts at using that particular brand. The courses are very indepth over a period of weeks and can cost ££££.

If it was really as simple as choosing a colour from the chart and slapping it on, no-one would need to go beyond hairdressing level 2 and we wouldn't be doing so many colour correction jobs after clients have attempted to DIY. ;)

Hope this has helped?

(The OP is based in the UK, not the US.)

Hi all. We are currently using Matrix in our final few weeks at college.
I have found noticed the sark colours are going 2 shades darker maybe more. If a client asks for a number 4 they are getting a number 2, sometimes a one. So we are having to go 2 shades lighter to achieve the colour the clients want. This has totally put me off matrix. As I qualify soon and going mobile I need a shade chart/colour that is spot on and true to their swatches! Whats the best brand that is accurate? Please help thanks!
Ps: matrix blondes are dead accurate. Its just the other shades.
Loreal colours are good and wella is too. The reason thos coukd be happening is because of product build up and over processed hair with the colour. The worst i have seen is a root touch up with a semi, the ends where more a base three and her roots were a five!!! The best thing you can do is either adjust the colour to match, or warn them the colour may not be exact. It could be that they have coloured their hair at home and they are not being truthful when they say...i only touch my roots up, or they visit the college often and everyone runs the colour straight threw. You could use a lower base to the roots and then emulsify at the sink without shampoo and let the colour run threw to the ends if it has faded midlegths and ends. Doing that for five minutes could be enough to run the colour over the fading without getting product build up. Ot if they arnt happy you could suggest stripping the hair and starting over. But this can be damaging and costly. Hope some of thats helpful.

What colour line is true to its shade chart? Like if I put a number 4 on someone, it will actually go a 4? And not a 2? Xxx
Hi I use wella and absolutely love it, I use all ranges!! Koleston perfect is my go to!! But illumina is nice too!! But illumina is violet based, so will appear flatter/ slightly darker, hope this helps :) feel free to ask any questions :)

Thanks all. Yes i have trained in matrix and use all the matrix developers etc. The client that came in had virgin hair apart from ends she was a base 5 naturally. Luckily when I finished with her hair she was more happy with the colour that it came. I done everything perfect chosen the natural base shade etc. A few other girls are having the same problem too. There was no primary or secondary tones in the shade that I put on. Her natural base was a 5 and she wanted a 4, but it came between a one or 2.

Hi I use wella and absolutely love it, I use all ranges!! Koleston perfect is my go to!! But illumina is nice too!! But illumina is violet based, so will appear flatter/ slightly darker, hope this helps :) feel free to ask any questions :)

Do you find wella near enough close to the shade chart?

Completely agree with stylists911 . I have used matrix for 10 years and never had problem . Nw and 500 will always seems darker with double warmth and double base but there about the only colours I change for result I want x

Latest posts

Back