Help for a new and lost mobile technician.. please?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lizie_Smith

Reaction score
Have passed my manicure, pedicure and Nail Technician VTCT and have been working on friends and family since i passed but am now looking to start up properly as a mobile technician, so much so that i have applied for a full time (3 days one evening) beauty therapy course at the college i completed my previous training.
Only intended to work as a mobile technician part time to fund further studies to become a studio sound engineer but have found that i am enjoying beauty therapy much more

Am ok equipment-wise, my primary problem is where to start when it come to making my little hobby into a fully-fledged business (where to get insurance, what type do i need, do i need to register the company name, what do i do regarding tax?) After wading my way through all the usual .gov sites i am still none the wiser.

Would much appreciate you suggestions,

Thanks in advance,

Lizie
:hug:
xx

cant really help lots there but for insurance check salongold or professional beauty or the guild. those are the main ones i've heard of and that seem to be popular and good, they should cover you for most beauty treatments and its not expensive.
registering a name and for tax and that i havent really got a clue sorry

if you go onto gov website they have classes for people who are interested in becoming self employed which tell you all you need to know. if you google it should come up. sorry i cant be more help, i do recall another thread on here that had the exact link, try a search and it may come up x

Hi

I have my insurance with salon gold, really cheap and very helpful on the telephone.

Reagrds the tax, i know alot of people that only started declaring the money after they started charging full price as they are still learning and using the public as models, only charging for the products used and not your time.

hth

salon gold is relay good and much cheaper than the others that offer the same.

tax you need to do a tax return every year just contact your local tax office and they will send you a form don't panic when you look at the form it looks long and complicated but 80% of it is n/a .

as you are a sole trader you don't need to registrar your name in less you want to but i dont know how you go about that.

national insurance you will need to contact inland revenue and they will send you a form out.
basicly with tax if you are a signal person you wont have to pay any until your earnings are above about £4200 but you must fill in the forms every year if you don't you will get charged £100.

advertising is important apart from word of mouth the best i have found is yellow pages if you cant afford a box advert you can get a free one liner.

also now days web site again you don't have to pay loads for this i have one for free that i can change when ever i want if you fancy having a look it is at

http://www.precioushairandbeauty.webs.com/

hope i have coverd everything for you.

Very nice site :)

have created a myspace and facebook account myself, hope to take advantage of my existing friends and contacts on my personal accounts.

seems to be working ok so far :)

(btw thaks to everyone for the replys so far :) )

Latest posts

Back