Help for those first-client-butterflies!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pinkangel

Reaction score
Hi all

I am still training, but have my first 'proper' manicure to do next Friday. Although it is someone I know well and I am not charging full price (just to cover products) I am still really really nervous!!:eek:

As many of you have been in this position, can you advise whether you have any tips for helping to deal with the nerves? It's more a confidence thing and the huge fear of making awful mistakes which will be glaringly obvious to the client!!

Any help gratefully received - I keeping going over the scenario in my head and it's driving me nuts!!!!! I know I shouldn't panic and should have faith in myself, but if any of you can share some first time stories it would be great.

Thank you in advance!!

Jackie xx

i used to get butterflys all the time some times still do when i have a new client just do your best and remember everything you have learned.If you forget to do something dont make a fuss and say oh i forgot to do that they the client dont know so smile and carry on.

I sometimes still get butterflies with new clients! It cant be helped sometimes. You just need to tell yourself that you are good and you can ask your client questions about how they are finding the treatment.

Its better said then done but try not to go over and over it again in your head.

Good luck and let us know how it goes.

EDIT:
Just thought I'd add that my first client was for a bikini wax and she pulled her kickers right in so it would of ended up a brazillian, lucky I had another trained terapist in with me and she asked me to go and get something cause she saw the look on my face!

Hi, I still get a bit nervous at a new client, always worry that i am going to forget to do something vital. I find that laying all my equipment out in the order that i need to use it helps me, it looks professional as you are not rummaging around looking for things and it means you won't forget to do any aspect of the manicure. hth :)

pinkangel said:
It's more a confidence thing and the huge fear of making awful mistakes which will be glaringly obvious to the client!!

Hun, that's just it, it's not glaringly obvious to the client unless you make it that way. They don't pick up on these things unless they can sense your discomfort or embarrassment.

You have no idea how many times I missed entire steps in the first pedicures I did....LOL....nobody ever noticed because I never missed the polish or the massage.......

So get yourself organized and you will do just fine :) Let us know how it went :hug:

Laura x

hi ya

i still get nervous now sometimes if i have not met them before, i just try and treat them like i have done them before and try not to get too nervous cos i think it shows well it does with me, when i was first training my hand used to shake all the time and the clients used to laugh at me but ive relaxed alot since then and dont think anything of it now hth x x good luck x x you'll be fine x

jules x

hi I am a newly trained nail tech and so far I have been to 11 clients, I get nervous about going but when I get there I find that the clients are all very nice so that helps and I agree, layin out your products helps as well and it looks more professional as well. Normally with :) a manicure or pedicure you can always apply the product you have forgot at a later stage the client will not know, the best thing to do is just stay calm and carry on.:smack:

Eeeeek Help! Me too. Today I have someone coming for a manicure. I only did the course last week, but it's my first out of family one.
Ivy

Being nervous just shows you care about doing a good job.

If you do your treatment in the wrong order then I really dont think the client will be aware of it - if however you put the varnish on the finger rather than the nail, then I think she might LOL.

Relax and enjoy the treatment - first of many!

'rescue remedy' which is homeopathic does really help with nerves and stress i keep mine by me at all times and just pop 4 drops on my tongue whenever i feel under pressure, they are available in most chemists. just remember your client probably feels as nervous as you do!!!

I really feel for you as i am the same,

I did my first client that i had never met before last night & she was so nice & i was really annoyed with myself that i spent best part of a week worrying about it !

Something i used to do when i was at college and preparing for assessment was to set up for whatever treatment i was doing then do an "imaginery" client, sounds a bit odd but it worked for me !

Latest posts

Back