Help-glitter tips!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Channy89

Reaction score
Can anyone tell me why my glitter tips in this picture look.. cloudy?

This is how I have been taught:
Reverse application, Dip a bead of acrylic in glitter and put over free edge then encase in a layer of acrylic. File, buff, Then I put a layer of gel over top.

Is there an easier way to get glitter tips?

Attachments

• ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1371387627.322149.jpg
    ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1371387627.322149.jpg
    135.4 KB · Views: 751
It could possibly be the glitter. Some lesser quality glitters bleed their colour when mixed with L&P. Or it could be that your ratio is too dry? You need to work slightly wetter with glitter.

Have you tried using the same method but with a different glitter?

I tend to pre mix my glitter with my clear polymer. That way you get a more consistent coverage.

Sent from my SK17i using Tapatalk 2

I like to premix mine too, and then I always swatch out my mix, file/finish to make sure it looks great. I do the same when mixing up colours (and keep a little log book to track what ratios I did).

I will try another glitter and see how I go.

I've tried to premix but with black glitter. It was a complete fail as the black glitter didn't even sparkle!Will try this also with another color today.

Would you still do a layer of clear acrylic over the premixed glitter? Or will you be able to file the premix? Also what ratio do you suggest. I was taught 50/50 of polymer and glitter? Is this okay

I did a 30% additive 70% clear polymer but the acrylic wouldnt dry:( i used tge powder from the school and not my personnal cnd powder as i was jst messing around so didnt want to waste it.. Cold it be the powder is cheap one?

Sent from my Nexus 4 using SalonGeek

it could be the powder. it could be the glitter. what kind of ratio (l/p)were you using? were you using the correct liquid for your powder? a 30/70 ratio of glitter/powder shouldn't be the problem... but it might be dependant on the l&p system...

And as for a clear acrylic on top I don't know. I usually gel topcoat mine

it could be the powder. it could be the glitter. what kind of ratio (l/p)were you using? were you using the correct liquid for your powder? a 30/70 ratio of glitter/powder shouldn't be the problem... but it might be dependant on the l&p system...

And as for a clear acrylic on top I don't know. I usually gel topcoat mine

Yes i was using the correct liquid to powder ratio, my beads were fine and acrylic seemed perfectly normal.. It just wouldnt dry for some reason lol im going to try with my cnd retention one and see what happens

Sent from my Nexus 4 using SalonGeek

Do you use Shellac, or similar? I do my glitter tips once I've finished the full set - I do a French in which ever colour the client likes, cure, then scrub in the glitter & top coat.

This way I can change quite easily during infills :)

I will try another glitter and see how I go.

I've tried to premix but with black glitter. It was a complete fail as the black glitter didn't even sparkle!Will try this also with another color today.

Would you still do a layer of clear acrylic over the premixed glitter? Or will you be able to file the premix? Also what ratio do you suggest. I was taught 50/50 of polymer and glitter? Is this okay

Did you ever manage to get a good black glitter acrylic mix ? I can't seen to get the glitter to show through with the black glitter mix at all 😞 x

I saw a YouTube video where they made a black glitter tip! Using 1/8 of a teaspoon 3 parts clear acrylic to 1 part black glitter

Emma-Louise @ALittleLuxury

I saw a YouTube video where they made a black glitter tip! Using 1/8 of a teaspoon 3 parts clear acrylic to 1 part black glitter

Have you got the link to it ? Or even what to search on YouTube ? X

Erm... I was just moseying and I put in acrylic glitter tips on google and it came up with the YouTube video! The title was something like how to make your own acrylic glitter tips I think!

Ok thanks for your help 😊 x

No problem sorry I can't send the link iv searched for other stuff since then and I have no clue how to search history on my phone! I will keep looking tho and if I find it send it you! But she literally mixed 3:1 ratio put it in a small paint tub, shook it to mix it and then she applied it the same you would if you were doing white and pinks

Sussed it! This is the link to how she mixed her glitter acrylic x http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=0DhlacMZ87c
It was in another of her videos where she was applying the acrylics but I didn't even look at the title or anything so can't help on that one lol

Thanks very much 😀 xx

Just watched the video that's the way I've been mixing mines and I'm just not getting a black glitter look with it at all 😣 x

:( that's crap!! Maybe it's the glitter you have? I must admit my black glitter I brought for nail art doesn't look very sparkly when it's on!

Latest posts

Back