help hair colour!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

simsarahlou

Reaction score
hello hair geeks. please help me. im a beauty geek. and i have a hair dilema. i have about a level 6 hair naturally. last year it was dyed with wella colour touch 5 cant remember the exact shade but it was ash as i my hair always turns hair dye red no matter how much ash is in the colour. we added a smidge of 4 to give it depth. it went very very very dark! i liked it though so no probs there. fast forward nearly a year and i have major roots. i always opt for a semi so that it will wash out but as you can see this baby will not shove. i have been using clarifying shampoos non stop but the last bit of colour wont go and now my roots have grown out down to about eye level. i dont know wether to use a toner, colour or what. all advice will be considered. here are my before after and now shots. sorry they are so big, dont really know how to upload well yet. thanks
before.jpg
after.jpg
now.jpg

Last edited:
preferrably get the color out but i dont want to bleach it out. i want to be left with my colour. or to colour over with my natural colour. but the problem i have is no matter how well the base is matched it always goes too dark or too red my hair just drinks up colour and wont let go

Personally I'd put some highlights in the darker lengths and ends to break up that line and leave it at that. Keep it trimmed and eventually it will grow out. A wimps option probably but I play safe all the time with colour. Just a salutary reminder to us all though - colour touch is permanent!!!!

colour touch is near enuff permanant with 4% on dry hair, with 1.9% on damp hair as recomended i have never ever seen it stick fast like this. . .

Thats interesting. I do my own hair with Colourtouch 5/0 and 5/4. They cover the bit of grey I've got in front of my ears. It looks pretty dark as I would consider myself a dark haired person. It does not fade out it grows out. I always use 1.9% on damp newly washed hair. So for me I always tell my clients it is a permanent colour just not so strong and not complete of coverage of grey if there is a lot. But my main reason for using it is the wonderful sheen it imparts on the hair and the colours in general.

It may be that it fades a fair bit but I would assume that if you were say a base 7 and you put on a 5 you can pretty much bet that you will get regrowth.

I had this discussion with one of my clients today. She was moaning that she had agreed to let her teenage daughter use a colour from the corner chemist (!) and they purchased one that stated lasts up to 24 washes. She went from say a base 6-7 to almost a 4 with some red in it. You know that awful pinky red. Well roll on 6 months and she has almost black ends (I suspect due to straightening the life out of it every day) and about 3-4 inches of regrowth but won't have her hair cut. I lose count of how many times I have to say "if it says in the instructions mix one thing with the other ie. sachet a with bottle b you can be sure that, if you change the colour pretty substantially, it will be permanent and you will get a re-growth". But do they listen? Nope. She asked me today if I would bleach and re-tint it brown. I said no it is colour correction work and she should either go to a person I would consider to be more experienced in that kind of work or leave it alone. This girl is 12 for goodness sake.

Am I being old fashioned in feeling that people are asking more and more of their hair chemical treatment wise?

Latest posts

Back