Help, hair extensions 'stuck' to head!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HairArt

Reaction score
Hi Geeks, I have a problem that's totally baffled me, I've never come across it before in 13 years. I would be ever so grateful if anyone could offer some advice.

One of my new clients has a problem with her extensions,she has around 60 mini tips applied and almost everyone of them is 'stuck' to her head. It looks like a few of the hairs that each extension is attached to haven't grown, whereas the rest of the hair in the extension has, creating a kind of loop effect at the roots. She's been having them applied for around 6 months now and the problem seems to be getting worse with every application! I know they're definitely not applied too tightly and it's not the same as a waterfall effect, I'm really OCD about that and have been even more careful because of the problems she's had. She has quite curly hair but I've had loads of clients with curly hair and never come across this before. They look absolutely awful and there're a fair few roots in each bond too. Funny thing is, the top right row is nowhere near as bad as the rest of them???

I feel really sorry for her, she's always been anxious and calls in the salon at least twice between maintenance appointments, it couldn't happen to a worse client! I know she used to constantly touch them but she assures me she's stopped doing this. I feel awful but I really think she needs to have them out, I wondered if anyone has an explanation though?

TIA xx

Any ideas? I feel really awful telling her I need to remove them, especially if it's something that can be put right. I'd really appreciate any help or advice. Thanks

I would always recommend doing what you feel and know is best, honesty is always key is this kind of situation.

Have you any photos to explain what you mean?

Has this happened after she hasn't been wearing them for awhile? When the hairs that the extension is attached to naturally fall out but are still held in the extension the bulbs at the scalp area will stick together like Velcro. I advise my individually bonded extension clients to separate every bond daily to avoid this. Many of my clients have since switched to the tape in type as they are less maintenance and easier to care for

Have you any photos to explain what you mean?
Thanks for your reply. I hate this photo, it doesn't represent my work at all. I've removed them now but she was so upset. She had 5 or 6 sets applied, she had a handful of extensions which went like this in the first few sets but her last two were almost ALL like this and had to be removed after 5 weeks. I've never seen anything like this, I've had a few clients in this week at various stages (3-8 weeks) and none of them have any issues. Any ideas?

Attachments

• IMG_7918.JPG
    IMG_7918.JPG
    253.8 KB · Views: 173
Thanks for your reply. I hate this photo, it doesn't represent my work at all. I've removed them now but she was so upset. She had 5 or 6 sets applied, she had a handful of extensions which went like this in the first few sets but her last two were almost ALL like this and had to be removed after 5 weeks. I've never seen anything like this, I've had a few clients in this week at various stages (3-8 weeks) and none of them have any issues. Any ideas?
Looks exactly like what I had posted about. The natural hair bulbs are sticking together. Easiest way to avoid this is to place the hair extensions farther apart so these hairs do not come in contact with each other and/or have the client separate each bond every day. This usually occurs between6-8 weeks and 3 months of wearing individually bonded extensions

Looks exactly like what I had posted about. The natural hair bulbs are sticking together. Easiest way to avoid this is to place the hair extensions farther apart so these hairs do not come in contact with each other and/or have the client separate each bond every day. This usually occurs between6-8 weeks and 3 months of wearing individually bonded extensions

Thanks JenB but it isn't that she hasn't separated her bonds, I wish it was. If I was to pull her bonds in a downward direction, it would've pulled hair out by the roots. It's like some of the hairs haven't grown and have anchored the extension close to the scalp. Obviously, this isn't the case and it looks like no one else has come across this either. I thought that maybe she has some sort of one in a million, weird growing hair but if that was the case it would've happened in the first few sets too. Now I think the only explanation is that she didn't stop with the constant 'twiddling' at all, if anything it's got worse and that's caused some of the hairs to coil and get caught just above the mini lock. I feel so sorry for her and hoped I could find an explanation that would mean she could carry on wearing them.

If it looks like the hair is being pulled out it by the root it could be that the weight of the extension is causing the hair to be pulled out. What length is the hair you're using? And how long after application was this pic? If not attached to enough hair it could be the weight

Has this happened just on the one side or all over her head? How long since these were installed in the photo? If only on the one side, I would agree that "twiddling" has been going on to get this result. People who have this tendency, seem sometimes to be unaware they are doing it. My daughter used to do it and at times only realised she was
"twiddling" when it was brought to her attention.

If it looks like the hair is being pulled out it by the root it could be that the weight of the extension is causing the hair to be pulled out. What length is the hair you're using? And how long after application was this pic? If not attached to enough hair it could be the weight

Sorry JenB, I don't think I've explained it very well. The extensions were only applied to thicken her own hair, so there is no additional length. The extensions were tailor made and are the same size as the amount of hair they were applied to. It's not the weight of the extensions that's the problem.

Without seeing them this is a difficult one to call just from the photograph, if you want to email any other photos to [email protected] we would be happy to take a look for you to try and find an explanation. We have written an Aftercare bible which is more in depth than just an aftercare sheet and they are great to give out to clients.

Has this happened just on the one side or all over her head? How long since these were installed in the photo? If only on the one side, I would agree that "twiddling" has been going on to get this result. People who have this tendency, seem sometimes to be unaware they are doing it. My daughter used to do it and at times only realised she was
"twiddling" when it was brought to her attention.

Hi Janie, the photo was taken 5 weeks after the application, she had 60 applied and it was almost every extension. I agree that she was probably unaware that she was twiddling but it was so bad that other clients who sat in reception with her commented on it. I really hoped someone had come across this before or that an extensions trainer would pick it up and explain why the extension becomes 'anchored' close to the scalp.

Sorry JenB, I don't think I've explained it very well. The extensions were only applied to thicken her own hair, so there is no additional length. The extensions were tailor made and are the same size as the amount of hair they were applied to. It's not the weight of the extensions that's the problem.
Sometimes even when applied to "normal" hair the weight can be too much-and if she did happen to be playing with them it still puts undue tension on them and can affect how much hair pulls out. It really doesn't take very much tension to pull a single strand of hair out. How is her diet? And as mentioned above it could be she is on some type of medication the would make her hair more likely to shed or fall out more then normal..?

Latest posts

Back