Help! I have a client with sebaceous cysts who wants a perm

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hairyclairey

Reaction score
Hi I'm looking for some advice please........I have a client with very big cysts on her head which are not infected and are not causing any pain,
she's said they occurred after a hairdresser permed and coloured her hair within the same appointment apparently to save time, (I cannot believe any professional hairdresser would do this but I guess there are some!)
anyway it's now been 18mth-2years and the client would like a perm, I did advise her to speak to the gp who gave her no advice, she's looked into getting them removed however they no longer offer this on the NHS and costs £350 per cyst and she has 5!

Just wondered if it would be safe to do and how would we be covered in insurance if something were to go wrong?

Many thanks Claire

It's a tricky one as you can't be certain that the perm alone didn't cause the cysts. Or just the tint mix or a combination of the two or something else entirely!

Has the client had her hair coloured at all in the meantime or is she planning to re-colour the hair at a later date, do you know?

Have you tried to do a skin test using a small amount of perm solution?

The other options would be to phone the manufacturers helpline to clarify that you could go ahead, despite the cysts and/or check with your own insurer that they're happy to cover you.

Thank you!
The client will not be colouring her hair again she is 100% grey and is now liking it after growing out all the colour,

I will speak to the manufacturer tomorrow and also our insurance

Thanks Claire

As far as I'm aware, sebaceous cysts don't tend to occur as a result of anything specific (I get them myself from time to time), your client may be linking the perm to them when it's entirely unrelated. I've never found anything that I can link to being a trigger that causes them. Or it may be a different type of cyst entirely, are you certain it's sebaceous?

She's been told it is by her gp, they are massive too standing approx half of inch off her head and approx an inch in diameter [emoji33] they came up after the hair appointment which she had a colour and perm done at the same time so she linked it to being the only reason for them, I feel gutted for her x

I have a client who gets these , it's often hereditary . She got rid of the last one herself after being told no longer done on NHS [emoji15].

Advanced Electrolysis/Advanced Cosmetic Procedures or ACP can treat this. You can find a practitioner in your area on the BIAE website

I have a client who gets these , it's often hereditary . She got rid of the last one herself after being told no longer done on NHS [emoji15].
I lance and drain mine too, but then I have access to emla cream - can't imagine doing it without - ouch! [emoji33]

Hya. These glands are not a worry as I see it. I have permed and coloured peoples hair whilst having them. They are just blocked sweat glands as told in my training.
The perm can quite easily be avoided from going onto that patch of skin Use a blotting cream and wool around the area if poss
Insurance , they will always sit on the fence.
Just do it. I would not be put off by it.
Half inch is not a football.
Go for it. U will be ok. [emoji3]

I have a cyst on my head and get my hair coloured regularly.
They are not caused by perming or tinting.
They usually grow in hairy areas - ie head, groin, armpit

Go for it !

Latest posts

Back