Help, I'm outnumbered

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Penina

Reaction score
My hubby n kids are all desperate for a dog, but not ever having had one before (hubby grew up with one), I'm scared! Not to mention that I've got (4) kids too! I'm THE ONLY one to be hesitating over this decision. What do I do????

(FYI We would be looking to get a miniature schnoodle)

My hubby n kids are all desperate for a dog, but not ever having had one before (hubby grew up with one), I'm scared! Not to mention that I've got (4) kids too! I'm THE ONLY one to be hesitating over this decision. What do I do????

(FYI We would be looking to get a miniature schnoodle)

If your willing to take for walks and pick up cr*p and pay out for vets then go for it. Lol holidays also it's all booking in kennels. Also in the winter coming in muddy footprints everywhere 😁 but then not all negatives as loving companions. I feel ideal for elderly. X

Hi hun. Don't let the negatives outweighs the goods. Do have a good think. There is so much good about having a family dog. I have three. Until meeting me my partner only ever had fish and a bearded dragon. We got one dog whom we dotted on that he decided on a getting a second dog. Now we have 3! Yes, there is cold winter nights that you need to walk them in but it keeps me active. If I don't walk them I feel off. I feel it helps my moods. If I'm ever angry I walk it off. We've done a lot of research into crate training and good food for them. When you pick your dog and if it's from a breeder they sometimes give you a chance to come up every week or two to come up and get to know your dog which I believed helped my dog settle! There is the plus sides of days out on the beach, summers out walks and a companion/ best friend for the kids to grow up with. I grew up with a dog too. I took him everywhere and he was my best friend.
Yes there is a lot of poop but you get used to it! Maybe spend the day with a friend or family members dog and see how you get on ? And then maybe take it for a day. Make sure your kids are part of it too. If they are big enough walking should be part of their routine/chores :) I love my boys and when you see their happy faces and tails you can't imagine your life without them! Hope it helps a little.

If you arnt 100% keen and it will fall to you to look after don't do it - the kids will soon lose interest

As an ex dog handler working with my dog day in day out I know just how much work they take, now I work I have no time for a dog - id love one but I wouldn't be fair

They need training, exercise, motivation, not easy when u have 4 kids.
Who's gonna train it, via once a week at puppy class isn't enough, who's gonna stimulate it when u are feeding the kids etc

We a think they are happy to sleep all day but not at all they need stimulation Attention etc, something u may struggle to give it

If hubby is at home and wants to take care of it then go for it

If not this is a bad decision ! IMO x

If you arnt 100% keen and it will fall to you to look after don't do it - the kids will soon lose interest

As an ex dog handler working with my dog day in day out I know just how much work they take, now I work I have no time for a dog - id love one but I wouldn't be fair

They need training, exercise, motivation, not easy when u have 4 kids.
Who's gonna train it, via once a week at puppy class isn't enough, who's gonna stimulate it when u are feeding the kids etc

We a think they are happy to sleep all day but not at all they need stimulation Attention etc, something u may struggle to give it

If hubby is at home and wants to take care of it then go for it

If not this is a bad decision ! IMO x

This is my problem no one wants to walk them, I literally don't have time to, just paid out 150 for one of then to get spayed 2 days ago, before anyone goes in the garden I have to go clear up, paranoid that my house would get that doggy smell thAt some people fail to notice and keep buying more dogs to add to the doggy odour. But what I can say is that they have good natures.

Thanks for all the good advice. I think I need to go back and have another chat with the other half

You can borrow our puppy for the day if you like! ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1413761760.471653.jpg

That's not a bad idea actually!

Id be lost with out my dog, he was 14 months old & already house trained when I got him though, so I had it easy really. If I was to get a puppy id look at crate training for sure.

He is so loving, I adore him.

They are another responsibility though, long family days out will be a thing of the past unless you can take the dog, or have someone pop by, or dog sit.

Kennels or a family member to look after them whilst your on holiday too.

You will obviously have daily walks, fur to hoover up, floors to mop more often, dog beds to wash etc. Gardens to hose down & of course a dog to bath! But it is a labour of love!

Have you seen Marley & me? Its funny but sad, yet true. At times they will have you pulling your hair out, but then melting your heart the next. They do become part of your family, & when they are unwell or get old it does really upset you (stating the obvious) then a life without them crosses your mind & breaks your heart.

Id vote yes, but get a dog rota if your children are old enough to help do chores for the dog (yes they will get bored) and what jobs will be yours & which will be your husbands.

Xx

Hey
It's really up to you. My mum had grown up with dogs and my dad had never had a pet we all wanted a dog (me,mum,bro&sis) and my dad didn't.However he agreed we could have the dog on the condition that he had nothing to do with it and for the first couple of weeks mum walked the dog while we were at school and we all walked her after school and in the evenings . Dad fell in love with the dog very quickly and we would all go dog walks as a family it was lovely! They now have 3 dogs. When I moved out I was completely lost without a dog! My boyfriend said he would get me a dog so I was desperate for a chihuahua and he would've preferred a bigger but he got me the chihuahua but I was to look after her and he'd get a bigger dog later but now we're looking into getting another chihuahua! Dogs really do become one of the family and they can be really good motivation to get the family out it's a great excuse for you to spend some time together aswell for example family walks, at weekends going to the beach or a park or trail. If you do decide to get a dog lay out the rules before you get one and find one that you can visit before you bring it home to get it used to you all. It's also a great excuse to get the kids to tidy their rooms if they don't already incase the dogs a chewer. Sorry for rambling the point of that was that they become a family member very quickly. Good luck with what ever you decide xxx

Why not take a dog breed match test online? There are plenty available and you can find out which breed of dog would suit your family best. It's all very well choosing a dog type just because you like it (and I'm not saying that you haven't done your research) but you can put in details about your lifestyle like how much activity you want to do and it gives you a realistic view as to what would be required with that breed of dog and if it will fit in with your family.

All of your opinions and advice has been invaluable. Thank you all so much x

Latest posts

Back