HELP I'm shaking Aargh!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MLNails

Reaction score
:irked:I love doing nails, so why when I'm doing clients am I shaking. I'm not scared to do them, I know I can do them so why do I shake? I feel like tearing my hair out as this is just SO FRUSTRATING. I am working from home and I try hard not to think about the client about to walk in the door but sure enough my heart starts beating a tad quicker and that's it. I know the minute I pick up my brush I'll be shaking. It's kind of an excitement thing NOT kinky but I just love doing nails.If ever you need a steady hand it's when applying acrylic and my hand is all over the shop. I think it's a mental thing. I know I can do it but my brain sort of doesn't? Is anyone else like me? If so can you give me any tips on how to get rid of my shakes. Is this a confidence thing? :rolleyes:

Thanks guys
:hug:MLNails
xxx

:irked:I love doing nails, so why when I'm doing clients am I shaking. I'm not scared to do them, I know I can do them so why do I shake? I feel like tearing my hair out as this is just SO FRUSTRATING. I am working from home and I try hard not to think about the client about to walk in the door but sure enough my heart starts beating a tad quicker and that's it. I know the minute I pick up my brush I'll be shaking. It's kind of an excitement thing NOT kinky but I just love doing nails.If ever you need a steady hand it's when applying acrylic and my hand is all over the shop. I think it's a mental thing. I know I can do it but my brain sort of doesn't? Is anyone else like me? If so can you give me any tips on how to get rid of my shakes. Is this a confidence thing? :rolleyes:

Thanks guys
:hug:MLNails
xxx
LOL. you poor thing, the highlighted area is your problem. The only things i can say are DONT THINK THAT before your client, stay away from too much coffee..cold and flu tablets are the worst for shakes..think confident..guessing you are using a balancing point ie pinky resting against the other or ring finger? Hairmart has some really nice aromatherapy oils that i love to sprinkle on my towels..rosewood is my fave..it really relaxes me..much better than lavender..that one makes me fall asleep! Remember you wont be shaking forever..just while you are gaining confidence. I always make sure i have new mags for my clients to read (although half like to watch my every move:lol:) and they all know i dont talk while doing my smiles..unless they love the crooked look!

Thank you so much for the suggestion! Aromatherapy oils - what a great idea. I shall buy some asap. It is definately worth a try. I had my hairdresser in today and I did her nails. I've known her for years and I thought I would be fine but alas I still shook not alot but...I do my own nails and they look fab and no shaking I get a client in the hot seat and well I get a little like Elvis! Lol

Bach's Rescue Remedy is a wonderful herbal solution, which is excellent for soothing the nerves along with any feelings of anxiety ... I'm not sure if it's available in Australia though.

So is that an oral solution?

The more clients you do, the easier it will become.:hug:

We all have our little quirks:lol: I'm still all fingers and thumbs trying to get a nail tip out of the box, when I have a new client. Nothing wrong with it, just shows you are human:lol::lol:

So is that an oral solution?
Yes ... you just place a few drops on your tongue.

It's normally available at pharmacies or health shops.

Bach's Rescue Remedy is a wonderful herbal solution, which is excellent for soothing the nerves along with any feelings of anxiety ... I'm not sure if it's available in Australia though.

This definately got me through my driving test!!!! my sis was more nervous than me

Maybe it would be helpful to play some music, too? Since you're working from home, how about making a pot of tea for you and your client, or something like that?

If it's nerves and it's just the anticipation, then time will help ofcourse, but maybe you could distract yourself before your appt? Find something to do that will help you pass the few hours before your client is supposed to arrive, this way you won't have been thinking about not shaking or anything about nails during the time before.

Music really helps me though, I hope it helps you too! GL!!

If I ever feel my hand shaking I put my elbow on the table for support. If you are nervous and your arm is not supported it will "have a mind of it's own"!
Works for me, maybe not for everyone, but worth a try.:)

The more clients you do, the easier it will become.:hug:

We all have our little quirks:lol: I'm still all fingers and thumbs trying to get a nail tip out of the box, when I have a new client. Nothing wrong with it, just shows you are human:lol::lol:

As has been said the more clients you do the shakes will go, i used to have the shakes when i was at college and my tutor was surprised that i
could produce a good set of nails considering i shook from the moment that client sat down until the end.

Im Fine now no problems at all tbh i suddenly forgot about it one day and realised i never shook.

It will get better i promise.

Julie x

:) i also shake a little :cry: I told my hubby ,Who does carpet fitting you can close the door into the room your doing and the customer wont watch you .
But poor nail techs obviously the client watches our every move lol or occasional mistake ie miss a slight step :eek:

I was shaking last week with one client who is a regular. The shakes only happened as my hand was "free" so to speak, ie, picking up liquid and trying to get my bead correct,,,,,I ponted this out to her and we both had a chuckle about it. As soon as I rested my pinky on the ring finger it stopped.
also I find that if I hold the clients hand with my hand resting on the table with my palm facing upwards, and a good grip on the clients finger with my thumb and index finger, my wrist is almost flat on the table for extra support,,,,sounds weird, but works well.

Don't know why I had the dithers that day, perhaps hunger is something to bear in mind, dehydration, and stimulants.....I know for sure that some days I can drink way too much coffee.

When you are holding the clients finger you really are only using your thumb, index finger and middle finger. This leaves your ring finger and pinky for balance.
Stick your pinky out straight.
The same goes for the hand holding your brush, you only use 3 fingers to hold it...so when applying product to the nail, stick that pinky out and balance it on your other pinky!

No more shaky hands!!

My hands still shake three years down the line and its a complete nightmare whehn polishing. i do the triangle thing that izzy recommends and it doers help but i still shake. Im putting it down to a trapped nerve in my shoulder lol. Although mine ahsnt gone away i have learnt how to get around it though when im competing thsi is a real nightmare as i ahve to put the bottle downa dn shake my hands and arms out and just keep going thank god for nail fresh it helps loads.x

Post one sounds like classic anxiety

I shake for a diff reason, and always have as I have also been an artist for about the last 15 odd years... when ever I pick up a brush, and I am about to use my fine motor skills (fine, delicate movements, precision work) my hand will hard out shake for about 5 mins and then taper off.. for me its my mind trying to control that fine motor movement and having an argument with my hand lol

Maybe it would be helpful to play some music, too? Since you're working from home, how about making a pot of tea for you and your client, or something like that?

If it's nerves and it's just the anticipation, then time will help ofcourse, but maybe you could distract yourself before your appt? Find something to do that will help you pass the few hours before your client is supposed to arrive, this way you won't have been thinking about not shaking or anything about nails during the time before.

Music really helps me though, I hope it helps you too! GL!!
abolutely agree with the music..i dont think i could work without music!

Yes ... you just place a few drops on your tongue.

It's normally available at pharmacies or health shops.

this is fantastic stuff..got me through a five hour divorce settlement meeting:eek: Another thing i cant do without is a chewie..i know that sounds unpro but i just chew it discreetly..no chomping like a cow chewing its cud,lol.

Latest posts

Back