Help in new job!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi there!! I've just started and I'm looking for some advice about a job I've recently got, I'm a level two qualified hair stylist and I'm training for my level three in salon. I've been lucky enough to get the job but bus fair is over twenty pounds a week I'm having to pay rent to my mum. She is only paying me twenty pounds a day although I am running a column. Also she doesn't seem like she wants to teach me, I feel like I'm just cheap labour to her and that she's interested in helping me. Any advice on what I could do?

Hi there!! I've just started and I'm looking for some advice about a job I've recently got, I'm a level two qualified hair stylist and I'm training for my level three in salon. I've been lucky enough to get the job but bus fair is over twenty pounds a week I'm having to pay rent to my mum. She is only paying me twenty pounds a day although I am running a column. Also she doesn't seem like she wants to teach me, I feel like I'm just cheap labour to her and that she's interested in helping me. Any advice on what I could do?

She should be paying you minimum wage, is that minimum wage £20 a day? X

Unless she's paying you as an apprentice x

You can be payed minimum wage or apprentice wage while doing l3. Most employers pay apprentice wage. X

Sent from my GT-I9300 using SalonGeek mobile app

I will never complain about my parents again, ever. They are saints compared to others.

I will never complain about my parents again, ever. They are saints compared to others.
My parents are well off and I had to give them a quarter of my wage soon as I turned 16 and working

My parents are well off and I had to give them a quarter of my wage soon as I turned 16 and working

I feel for you because that is a horrible thing to do to a human being that you put into the world for your own pleasure. Can you do hair on days when you're not in the salon and thereby earn money on the side? Or just find a salon that values your work? A lot of salon owners exploit workers, that's a fact.

I think if a person is old enough to work, but still lives at home it is only fair that they contribute. I am guessing your parents but all your food? Provide laundry products not to mention paying all the bills, so if you are earning why shouldn't you help out? I am mum to 2 girls the eldest is 13. When she is old enough & working I will expect her to contribute, probably 10% -15% of her earnings. It teaches her responsibility & gives them a taste of the real world. When you have your own place there are a lot of outgoings you never even knew exsisted. And I for one would rather my children be prepared! Am I cruel? I think not!

If opportunity doesn't knock - build a door!

I must of been spoilt! In today's climate a lot of parents give their kids a leg up, deposit for house, set up in business, university education, driving lessons it's pretty common. Personally I would rather see my son get the benefit of my money before I die. If your parents are struggling fair enough contribute, but well off parents are being stingy!! I am a mother and would not ask £20 or whatever of them when training. I choose to have them and not give them opportunities and watch them struggle seems unfair.Most mothers I know (if they have the money) give their last to their children and do without themselves. It's what my mother did for me and my brother and I am eternally grateful as I'm sure my brother is.

Last edited:
I agree with u I never paid towards anything my parents struggled but refused our money . Apprentice wage is poor . I was lucky tho I had good salons that were not money orientated xx

I feel for you because that is a horrible thing to do to a human being that you put into the world for your own pleasure. Can you do hair on days when you're not in the salon and thereby earn money on the side? Or just find a salon that values your work? A lot of salon owners exploit workers, that's a fact.

Bit harsh! Surely it'll teach her the value of money - where's the harm in that??

The thing about taking money of kids when they are effectively training it is not very supportive you need money for books, clothes, exhibitions, it should be looked on although you were training at university. A lot of kids give up thinking it is just a job and take a job in scotmid not realising its a career and not a job and that has come from the home!

I don't think the OP was complaining about her parents charging her rent?!

Her issue seems to be about her employer not wanting to help and teach her what she was expecting?

To the original OP - if your not happy where you are you need to assess whether you are happy to carry on how you are or whether it is worth while looking elsewhere. I wouldn't like to be working somewhere that was taking the P*ss BUT if you can get the experience you need then maybe just keep with it for now?

I don't think the OP was complaining about her parents charging her rent?!

Her issue seems to be about her employer not wanting to help and teach her what she was expecting?

To the original OP - if your not happy where you are you need to assess whether you are happy to carry on how you are or whether it is worth while looking elsewhere. I wouldn't like to be working somewhere that was taking the P*ss BUT if you can get the experience you need then maybe just keep with it for now?

Very true! Just curious though why don't more hairdressers train privately with Toni and guy in an intensive course (money issues aside), juniors are frequently abused as cheap labour, NOT always, but just wondered, cos by the time you had got a career development loan trained and then you could be on the floor earning quicker, than faffing round making tea.

Bit harsh! Surely it'll teach her the value of money - where's the harm in that??

A mentality I don't understand, but to each their own.

My bad! Sorry misunderstood post (slinks slowly away into a corner...) :)

If opportunity doesn't knock - build a door!

I think that life is hard enough. I want to give my daughter opportunities, not take from her. She will feel burdened if I ask her for money. I teach her and I bless her with whatever I can. I believe in teaching by example, not by force or by taking something away. They will only get defensive and feel hurt that way.

Very true! Just curious though why don't more hairdressers train privately with Toni and guy in an intensive course (money issues aside), juniors are frequently abused as cheap labour, NOT always, but just wondered, cos by the time you had got a career development loan trained and then you could be on the floor earning quicker, than faffing round making tea.

The reason is that it costs a fortune, plus, it's often just a six month course. Answer truthfully, would you want a 16 year old with six months training cutting your hair for full price? No? Neither would I.

Contrary to what nail techs and therapists believe, hair takes a bit of practicing. It's not a question of 'learning' a cut, it needs to be practiced around ten times, then UNDERSTOOD. The idea with an apprentiship is that it gives people the time and space to do this.
Salon owners rarely take on people with a two year college course alone under their belt, let alone a six month one. We like people who are apprentice trained.

To the OP, if this lady is doing hair, then watch, ask questions, learn. You are in the invironment, make the most of it. She isn't there to train you, in the way a college teacher is, she is there to do her clients and make her living. YOU are responsible for learning as much as you can from her. It's a difficult concept to get your head around, but that's how it works.

You could always give it up, and swap your 80 quid after bus fares for the dole. You wouldn't be that much worse off.

Just to let everyone know I never had a problem with giving my mum rent and I never said I was bothered. I've never been spoilt and I understand the value of money and respect my mum to have given her money even if she hasn't asked for any. Secondly I've spoken to my boss and we've worked everything out :) thanks for all the advice

Latest posts

Back