Help! I've been stung on E-bay!!!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FlybyNight

Reaction score
I'm so sorry guys, but I have just got to have a moan about E-bay! I decided a Nail Trainer would be a good investment as I need practice with L&P. Searched the ones on E-bay, lots of good ones....but always pipped at the post. Getting desperate now (you get the picture??) I find one with a Buy It Now of £120. A lot of cash I thought, but it must be good. I sent a question to the seller asking if it was brand new? Absolutely! came the reply. So with the end of the auction looming I started bidding. I was willing to invest £100 (all I have earned from doing nails for a couple of months!!:sad: ) and finally....what joy...I won it.

Three weeks later (a bad omen I know) it arrives. All excited, I open the parcel. It only contains a hand (used - with HER example nails still attached) and a packet of nails. Nothing else, no instructions, no video, no progress cards, no products, nothing...nada.

I was gutted.

Wouldn't you have expected to have found a brand new one in the box, with all its bits included? Especially as I paid her a top price? I paid her 10 minutes after the auction.

I have since e-mailed her countless times, but she just ignores them all. I honstly feel like crying - all my hard earned cash GONE in a press of a computer key. What I have is not really of any use, as I dont know how to use it properly.

I have started a complaint with Paypal now, but to be quite honest I think it will be a miracle if I get any joy!

So there is my sad tale....hope your days are a lot better than mine. Thanks for letting me get this off my chest, I feel a bit better now - but still poor!!:cry:

You should get your money back, ebay is cracking down on these situations now. A friend of mine this happened to, lost £500, but got that back last week from pay pal and recieved compensation.

I put a complaint in the other day and it was sorted in a week.

Dawn

FlybyNight said:
I'm so sorry guys, but I have just got to have a moan about E-bay! I decided a Nail Trainer would be a good investment as I need practice with L&P. Searched the ones on E-bay, lots of good ones....but always pipped at the post. Getting desperate now (you get the picture??) I find one with a Buy It Now of £120. A lot of cash I thought, but it must be good. I sent a question to the seller asking if it was brand new? Absolutely! came the reply. So with the end of the auction looming I started bidding. I was willing to invest £100 (all I have earned from doing nails for a couple of months!!:sad: ) and finally....what joy...I won it.

Three weeks later (a bad omen I know) it arrives. All excited, I open the parcel. It only contains a hand (used - with HER example nails still attached) and a packet of nails. Nothing else, no instructions, no video, no progress cards, no products, nothing...nada.

I was gutted.

Wouldn't you have expected to have found a brand new one in the box, with all its bits included? Especially as I paid her a top price? I paid her 10 minutes after the auction.

I have since e-mailed her countless times, but she just ignores them all. I honstly feel like crying - all my hard earned cash GONE in a press of a computer key. What I have is not really of any use, as I dont know how to use it properly.

I have started a complaint with Paypal now, but to be quite honest I think it will be a miracle if I get any joy!

So there is my sad tale....hope your days are a lot better than mine. Thanks for letting me get this off my chest, I feel a bit better now - but still poor!!:cry:

Yeah, get on to Ebay, I think its Safehabour you need to go to. You haven't got what you paid for at the end of the day. I had heard to that Ebay are trying to cut down on this sort of thing, (fakes being sold, people being ripped off), they have had alot of bad press recently. Get on to them girl, get it sorted. They will probably reimburse you and pursue her through the court.

Let us know what happens.

Im sorry you've been treated this way, but hopefully you can get it sorted.
Ruth x

How annoying for you - you never know Paypal may come through for you :sad:

Get as much evidence together as you can to prove what should have been in the box if the product was brand new - then there is positive proof that you have been ripped off.

Although when I got my Trainer hand when I did my foundation course with Creative, and it didn't come with a video, products or progress cards in the box. It did have a pack of new nailbeds though.

Progress cards and products were part of the Creative course kit, not the Trainer hand (as far as I'm aware anyway - they certainly didn't come in the box, they were handed out seperately with the course notes - I'm sure someone else will clarify if I've got the wrong end of the stick?)

I know the Essential Nails courses come with a trainer hand, products and progress cards, but that's the course content not the Trainer Hand contents.

Trin
xx

The problem will be that if her item description only said 'nail trainer' not 'boxed nail trainer with all extras' etc or listed the other things you thought you should be getting, then technically she's not in the wrong.
Unfortunately Ebay always say it is the buyer's responsibility to ensure that they are clear on what they are buying before they bid.. yes, if she said it was brand new and it is used then she did tell a porkie (although if this was in an email and not in the item description I'm not sure how it stands - do you have the email still), but if she never actually said it came with the video, nails etc then I'm not sure that there's a lot you can do.

Sorry :(

Try contacting Ebay to see what they say, but in the mean time, keep your chin up, get some trainer nails in, and try to make the best of things. Best of luck!

yeah you can start a dispute, by saying that it isnt as described and the seller will have to refund you , i think they get in touch with the seller and warn em to sort it out ,i think it tells you on ebays homepage, hope this helps xx

This one said it was New. It was used when it came. Otherwise I suppose she did send what she advertised. An Essential Nails Trainer. The box contents listed 2 x progress cards, 25ml gel prep/residue remover, 5ml acrylic primer, 10ml tip adhesive, 5 nozzles, owners manual, demo video. None of which were in the box. I have kept copies of all my e-mails. However, I think she is laughing all the way to the bank on my stupidity. I just assumed when it stated completely brand new, it would be as you would receive it from a supplier.

I guess I will have to be more wary next time. The manual would have been useful though!!

I will let you know what Paypal say. But dont hold your breath!!

If it stated as brand NEW and it wasn't then you have a case. It is illegal to claim something is new when it isn't. Get onto the complaints dept asap I think its called square trader. Even though it didnt list the box contents, The nail trainer was not as advertised.

Sarajane,

I have the video and manual if you want it!

FlybyNight said:
The box contents listed 2 x progress cards, 25ml gel prep/residue remover, 5ml acrylic primer, 10ml tip adhesive, 5 nozzles, owners manual, demo video. None of which were in the box.

The manual would have been useful though!!

If she quoted all those things on the ad, then she's definitely breaching eBay rules.

If she didn't - she's still on shaky ground as the hand was quite obviously used if it had her practise nails on it, but I'm not sure you'll have any comeback for the products :sad:

I used to have a downloaded copy of the trainer hand instuctions, I found it a couple of years ago on an american site. I'll see if I can find it again for you.

It's not much consolation, but at least you'll have that bit.

Trin
xx

Lellipop said:
If it stated as brand NEW and it wasn't then you have a case. It is illegal to claim something is new when it isn't. Get onto the complaints dept asap I think its called square trader. Even though it didnt list the box contents, The nail trainer was not as advertised.

Exactly what I was going to say, if it stated it then it should have been new. At the end of the day, if you knew it was used you wouldn't have paid as much as you did would you. You have a good case, go to the Safeharbour on Ebay and complain!

No luck finding it on line yet, but they now sell one on the Essential Nails website, it looks like it's only 36p (not sure how come it's so cheap, but I put on in my cart to check the price and it comes up as 42p!!)

It might be worth calling Essential nails and asking if they can post you one - tell them the trouble you've had, they might be kind enough to send you one for free

http://www.essentialnails.com/product.asp?P_ID=199&PT_ID=42&numPageStartPosition=1&strShowBackLink=n

Failing that, maybe another Geek will have one they no longer need and can post you one :D

Trin
xx

Thanks guys!! I hope I have a case, she stated NEW in the condition bit of the listing. All the other trainers stated they were USED, thats why I expected everything to be in the box without her actually listing the contents. I KNEW what should have been there as I have been looking into buying one!! I could have gone for a cheaper one and got more stuff than I got for my 100 smackers!!! Still as they say, you live and learn...why cant I just live more and always have to do the learning :p

Vicky, if you have no further use for the vid and manual, then I would be happy to buy them off of you. It was really sweet of you to offer.

That is the wonder of this site, one minute you feel like cr-p and the next, you are smiling again..:D

PM me your address, details, etc and I will get them off to you!!

This will make you laugh!! I was so stressed about all this that I have just found that I have been bleaching all my sinks, baths, basins and loos not with bleach like I thought, but with Mr. Muscle sink unblocker!!! No wonder it didnt seem to be whitening anything!! He He He :D

Sorry to hear your having a nightmare.

Contact paypal they will reimburse you had a similar situation myself and got all my money back, what was the name of the seller on ebay and we can all make sure that we dont get stung by her as well.

thats awful for you some ppls are real rips off i have the progress cards if you want them

Just a quickie - don't forget to put a negative feedback, that way everyone else will be more wary of buying from this con artist. Sorry to hear you're having a nightmare, hope it's sorted soon. :hug: xxx

Any news from Ebay or Paypal yet??????????????

No news from Ebay for Paypal yet!! You people have been great though, and even if it all goes t...s up, it will have been a great learning curve. I did give her 2wks to reply to my countless e-mails and come to a conclusion by Monday. After having heard nothing, I RELUCTANTLY pressed the negative feedback button... Felt awful, she went from 100% down to 67% in an instant. Honestly, I wouldn't have done it if she had even answered my e-mails and explained why. I am a real softie and really went out of my way to give her a chance to explain. It worries me though, she can just set up another Ebay account in another name - cant she? Then no one is safe. I just think she made an awful mistake and was glad some drongo (i.e. me) fell for it and she made a killing. I have the opinion now that originally Ebay was a great idea, but too many people are using it for business, and not what it was intended for - ie to get rid of stuff you no longer had need for. What do you think?

Latest posts

Back