Help! I've been stung on E-bay!!!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
By the way, I dont think she is a major seller on Ebay, she had 100% feedback when I dealt with her. Her Ebay name is bethenyhopehgas. I think she just messed her listing up and as it netted her lots of cash, she just kept quiet!!:mad: . Probably wont do it again......I hope!!

Hi Sarajane,

I'm going out on a limb here and probably risk negative reps, but here are my thougths.

From what I gather, she said the item was new, but it was actually second hand, not good on her behalf, you might have a leg to stand on here. YOU, however, assumed that the nail trainer included all the goodies that you were after, but you never actually checked with her. Did she at any point say that these things were included ? If she did, then yes, she conned you, but if she didn't, then it seems she sold you exactly what she was advertising.

Ebay is full of notices everywhere that you need to double check that what you think you are buying is what you are actually buying.

Yes, Ebay has become overun with "businesses" selling there stuff and I suppose the "original" purpose has been lost, but there are still a lot of honest people on Ebay. There are also not so honest people, so that's why YOU need to keep your wits about you.

You were prepared to pay a £100 for something that was being sold on Ebay, you pressed the button. Nobody made you do it. People bid as much as they are prepared to pay for an item on Ebay, now what I think an item is worth and how much I'm prepared to pay for it, is completely different to what somebody else might think.

If you use the example of nail products / manicure tables etc being sold on Ebay, us in the know or who have done our research, think god, that person is being ripped off. BUT as long as THEY feel they are not being ripped off, then it's OK. Yes, in an ideal world the seller would say "Look people, you are paying way over the odds for this", but unfortunately this doesn't happen.

So in your case, I don't think you were "ripped off" (assuming I've got all the facts straight), but that you assumed you were getting something that you didn't actually bother checking the facts for, she sent you exactly what she was advertising (except for the new bit) and now you are unhappy.

I'm sorry if this post offends anyone, but we all know how Ebay works, we all know that there are good guys and bad guys on there. We are all adults and that common sense needs to kick in when we use Ebay. I've personally had some really good transactions on Ebay, with no hickups, simply because I did my homework.

Just my thoughts.

River

I quite agree with you there. Yes there are a lot of honest people on Ebay. I for one know lots of people who sell bits and pieces.

I also agree I should have asked her to list the contents. However, when one says brand new, you expect it to be just that- as you would buy it in a shop. I suppose I should really have double checked that one. Yes - my fault entirely.

It was just the fact that it was used that upset me, file marks on the fingers and her nails she had made on it. Yes, I can get over paying too much for what I got - if it HAD been new. Used is slightly different.

However, thanks to the generosity of some other users of this site, all is not lost, hopefully I can buy the instructions and another person is leting me have the video and progress cards. All I need.

I would agree totally with your comments River and no you are not offending anyone. LET THE BUYER BEWARE!!!

I would see this as a lesson in partnering with the professionals to buy your PROFESSIONAL products from the source and not on eBay. I think the nail trainer is cheaper from Essential nails with all the trimmings than what you paid but I could be wrong. It is actually included in the Creative Foundation Course along with products etc...

Once more... WE can guarantee your products when you buy from the manufacturer or distributor but eBay - forget it... I wouldn't trust it when it comes to nails and think we should ALL be careful!! I hope you get you money back.... :hug:

Hi there, if you want further information, then why not try contacting trading standards, they deal with the sale of goods act, and perhaps the trades description act may be of use. I believe you can down load a wealth of information about it from the internet. Depending on your views and how far you want to take it, perhaps try ringing you leagal advice team that should come with your insurance. The one I use has been of great help in times on need.

It is horrid being ripped of I have recently myself with a car purchased more like a death trap, so I really feel for you and wish you every success and truly hope that events turn and some good luck comes your way.

Kind regards
x

I have that practice hand from www.ginawallace.com she is the maker of the hand. If you go to that web site, you may be able to get the instruction booklet. If not, email [email protected] and I will scan my booklet in and send it to you.
Terri

We have found that you can buy the manual seperately from the Essential Nails website for 36p! (must be a stonking manual for that?!:rolleyes: ) Still, it is worth it to get the info on its use.

A little update on this saga, the seller e-mailed me and apologised for the delay as she had been in hospital - I also think Paypal have contacted her too. She wants to sort this out - so do I. I felt awful that she had been sick, and said I would contact her after the weekend. What should I do? Ask for all money back, or just some of it - if so how much? To be honest, I am happy to keep the trainer even though used as I can get the instructions and other bits through the help of the other users on this site. I just wouldn't have paid more than about £60ish for a used one. What do you think?

Sarajane you are being soft again!

It doesn't matter that she has been ill! It still didn't stop her stating that the nail trainer was pants!

Stand your ground hun!

If you feel you should ask for your money back then do it, if not then just talk things through with her and remove your negative feedback on her!

I have heard that excuse before from Ebay members. It is awful if it is true, but she should not have sent the package out like that. She claimed it was new. MAYBE she has two of them and sent you the wrong one? If so all is forgiven, send me the new one as promised, or divey up the money babe.

Just make sure you give her really bad feed back so she has difficulty selling her stuff in the future.
This happend to me when I got my trainer from e bay.
The rubber bits on the end of the fingers kept pinging off even with gentle filing. Its was no use at all.

Gina gxxx:mad:

FlybyNight said:
I'm so sorry guys, but I have just got to have a moan about E-bay! I decided a Nail Trainer would be a good investment as I need practice with L&P. Searched the ones on E-bay, lots of good ones....but always pipped at the post. Getting desperate now (you get the picture??) I find one with a Buy It Now of £120. A lot of cash I thought, but it must be good. I sent a question to the seller asking if it was brand new? Absolutely! came the reply. So with the end of the auction looming I started bidding. I was willing to invest £100 (all I have earned from doing nails for a couple of months!!:sad: ) and finally....what joy...I won it.

Three weeks later (a bad omen I know) it arrives. All excited, I open the parcel. It only contains a hand (used - with HER example nails still attached) and a packet of nails. Nothing else, no instructions, no video, no progress cards, no products, nothing...nada.

I was gutted.

Wouldn't you have expected to have found a brand new one in the box, with all its bits included? Especially as I paid her a top price? I paid her 10 minutes after the auction.

I have since e-mailed her countless times, but she just ignores them all. I honstly feel like crying - all my hard earned cash GONE in a press of a computer key. What I have is not really of any use, as I dont know how to use it properly.

I have started a complaint with Paypal now, but to be quite honest I think it will be a miracle if I get any joy!

So there is my sad tale....hope your days are a lot better than mine. Thanks for letting me get this off my chest, I feel a bit better now - but still poor!!:cry:

Oh Gina!! I'm glad I'm not the first for this to happen to. I havent used the trainer yet as I am not sure if I am going to have to send it back. Maybe mine will ping off too!! She told me she put gel nails on it so I would know what to do!!:lol: I thought that was a good one!!

hi there, i think that was out of order. I just sold my nail trainer hand that i got with my homelearn kit last year for under 60 quid. That was including the manuals, video, big pot of pinnacle powder, half a bottle of liquid, primer, top coat, polish, and progress cards and the test papers. I think the buyer got a bargain for all of that, sice it coat me nearly 400 pounds for the course. If she said that it came with all that extras then she needs to refund you big time!

i have a couple of progress cards if you want them, :D ,

as for geting money back, my friend had a prob with a pair of boots as she paid £200 for NEW VERSACHI BOOTS when they came they had someone elses name in and had been worn, at first ebay and paypal said no case untill she got her creadit card company to chase it as well, 2 weeks later she got her money back so dont back down even if they say you cant have the money back as they dont want the bad publicity

Well, i'm sorry you got ripped of, you paid 100£ for a 126£ item, thinking it had all the same items included as the new one (nail trainer, gel cleaner, 2 progress cards, 100 nails, tip adhesive and nozzles, primer for acrylic, instruction manual and demo video). Now if it does not cointain all these pieces and u would have to purchase separately you would end up spending more.
If you are thinking of asking a parcial refund see how much it is going to cost yo to purchase the item you'll need (you can find out the costs at www.essentialnails.com).
I don't think the instrution manual is a very good purchase, even if it is cheap, it only has 15 pages, with not that much necessary info. If you want i can scan mine and send it to you.

Latest posts

Back