Help - just discovered client tomorrow is under 16 - BABTAC guidelines anyone

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jolie69

Reaction score
Hi
Sorry couldn't fit PLEASE into title!

I have a client booked in for Shellac tomorrow at 9.30am. She is new to me but I completed her sisters prom makeover earlier this year.

Something made me check so after the appointment was made by email, I emailed to explain if she was under 16, that I would need parental signature - apologised also in case she had just turned 16 - I wasn't sure if she was younger/older than her sister.

Just had email back saying she'll ask her Mum to write a letter! I know this will not be acceptable by my own standards, even though I did meet her Mum after the earlier Prom makeover.

I will try to call BABTAC in the morning but as its an early appointment, am worried in case I don't get through/get an answer in time.

What do you all do if a client turns up for the first time and is underage and unaccompanied? Refuse to treat I am assuming? And how should I handle this - don't want to lose a potential future Prom makeover either.

Thank you x

I thought the rule was that ok if parent is present?

I thought the rule was that ok if parent is present?

Me too but I don't think Mum is going to be there as she's said she'll bring a letter signed by her Mum.

I think you will be perfectly fine to do a shellac polish, if she is say 15 then a letter would be ok by me. Now if she was 9 or 10 then that is a different story. Ring and speak to her mam, perhaps she will drop her off , and a shellac polish is only 30 mins so no hardship in her waiting for her. x

I think you will be perfectly fine to do a shellac polish, if she is say 15 then a letter would be ok by me. Now if she was 9 or 10 then that is a different story. Ring and speak to her mam, perhaps she will drop her off , and a shellac polish is only 30 mins so no hardship in her waiting for her. x

Hi,
It's more of an insurance issue, I wouldn't have a problem on a 15 yr old especially as I've been recommended by her sister and poss her Mum following the makeover. But if anything happened I may not be covered.

Think I'll just have to keep fingers crossed that BABTAC are still working in the owning and they give me a definitive answer. Just a nightmare if you annoy a client and you lose business because of it.

Personally I've been to loads of salons over the years and only completed a consultation at 2 places, one was a hotel spa. Even the highly regarded salons locally don't bother. As a home salon I feel quite vulnerable, I must admit, and am extra conscientious about paperwork.

Thank you x

Personally, I would tell her that her mother has to be present as she is under 16yrs old.

Let us know what babtac say! I'm insured by them so am curious to hear. Hope it works out ok and that you're safely able to do her nails xx

Personally, I would tell her that her mother has to be present as she is under 16yrs old.

My feelings exactly TBH - would you say this if a client walked into your salon? Problem is most girls look older and so you wouldn't normally know their age until you were sitting down doing consultation.

If Mum is at work tomorrow and can't be present, I fear I may upset this poor client.

I've just spoken to BABTAC and apparently they will accept any written consent - Mum doesn't have to be there to sign form.

At least I know I'm covered but I find that a little worrying TBH.

Anyway thank you for replies and Merry Christmas Everybody xx

maybe just let her know its a one off and next time u would prefer mum to be present x happy xmas! xx

This has confused me no end. I am insured with BABTAC and not only do they require parental consent but they also require the parent to be present, so they told me a few months ago anyhow! I'm going to give them a call and double check a few things shortly!

I do however hope it all went well for you 😊

Latest posts

Back