Help!!! just had a nightmare with my Su-do tan!!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rachel82

Reaction score
Haven't used my Su-do tanning bits for a couple of months as been too hectic with doin new courses etc and my full time job.
A friend called me to see if I was free to spray her tonight so said yeah thats fine. Got round to her house and set up all my equipment to find that my tanning lotion had turnt a funny colour. Instead of being the dark browny reddish colour it now has a blue green tint to it and the little bottle of the darker colour lotion I have has turnt blue!!!! Bought it all at the same time about 6 months ago but just havent use it that much. Checked it a few weeks ago when having a tidy up and it seemed to be fine.
Theres no information on the Su-do website or on the bottle that says to use within a certain amount of time of opening and Ive never experienced this before! Can anybody help??? x :| :(

P.s- MmM:idea: ... Maybe now is the time to try a new product!
Has anybody tried Heavenly Bodies???

Just wondered if anybody hasnexperienced this before

It sounds like the colour guide is starting to lose the red in it, this happens with some tanning lotions. The way you store it is crucial, it should be in a cold dark place, a fridge is perfect especially if you don't use them that often - I do in the summer anyway. Just remember to take it out first thing in the morning (or night before if it's for first thing) as it is freezing for the client. Also make sure you screw your bottles up tight as the air can also affect teh solution.

If you were to spray it then the tan will be fine - it's just the colour guide that may give them an alien look!!!

HTH

Ah thanks Sassy, I wasn't sure! We had a laugh about it anyway..
Ok so do you think if I put it in the fridge now it will keep, or shall I just throw it and buy some more??? I sprayed some on my arm just to have a look what it came out like but it just didnt seem right? Definately gonna throw the little 'blue' bottles!!! Which spray tan do you use??

You need to use Su-do tanning liquid up within 6 months - the same time for most tanning products. If had started to change colour, it is definitaley where the product was stored if it was under 6 months. HTH

As long as when you spray it at the moment the colour guide is okay then yes i would keep it in the fridge. I use Tantrick which I love and it ticks all my boxes, but I am always a great believer in that if you like the product that you use then why change? If you get your storage solutions sorted and you are otherwise happy with Su-Do then stick with them hun. If you start asking everyone what they use believe me you will get at least 2 dozen different answers! :lol:

It sounds like the colour guide is starting to lose the red in it, this happens with some tanning lotions. The way you store it is crucial, it should be in a cold dark place, a fridge is perfect especially if you don't use them that often - I do in the summer anyway. Just remember to take it out first thing in the morning (or night before if it's for first thing) as it is freezing for the client. Also make sure you screw your bottles up tight as the air can also affect teh solution.

If you were to spray it then the tan will be fine - it's just the colour guide that may give them an alien look!!!

HTH

Have to agree with sassy, in a dark cool place is best if you dont use the tan solution on a day to day basis.

I have mine on a shelve in the tan room but it gets used every day so dont have a problem with colour but i always make sure the lid is on tight as like sassy said the air can have an effect on the solution.

It may look a bluey/green colour but should develop and look ok.

Ok brilliant, thanks alot girls! I was thinkiing that mayt have been the case but wasn't sure. Ill make sure I keep it in the fridge in future.
Was thinking about changing products anyway as have used Su-do for quite a while now and saw my friend the other day who now uses Heavenly Bodies spray tanninng and it looks great so think I might change to that, just to try out something new!! Ill let you know what I think!

Hi Rachel

It is only the solutions which contain artificial colours which will turn green, blue, purple etc after a while - and as Sassy said, this is due to a break down in colours. Tantrick solutions contain natural colourings which will NOT turn green no matter how they are stored or how long you keep them! The dha within the solution is a delicate ingredient and tends to be less effective over time - hence the 6 month life, after which, it tends not be as effective.

I hope this helps you understand why there is a change in colour. I know there is so much on the market right now, but try out different solutions - if you do the tissue test, this will give an indication which will turn green on you in time - drop some solution on a tissue, if it goes pink, yellow, green etc - then this indicates artificial colourant have been used and in time it too may well give the green effect on your clients.

Regards

Mandy

You need to use Su-do tanning liquid up within 6 months - the same time for most tanning products. If had started to change colour, it is definitaley where the product was stored if it was under 6 months. HTH

I know Vani-T say 12 months opened or 18 months unopened as a shelf life for their solution. 6 months sounds a little too short, ive never had any probs and still have a litre of the light (which i dont use very much) and its over a year old and still fine.

Hiya

I find that the Darker tan solution dont last as lond as the normal bronze
I only use normal Bronze now

Jenx

Latest posts

Back