Help, L&P problems

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hawte

Certified Nail Technician
Reaction score
I am currently taking an acrylic nail course. I don't have much confidence in my instructor tho and am horrified at what I've done. I don't know what I did so wrong for this to happen. I did her nails about a month ago and last week went back to fill them. Today I get a text that her nails are discoloured so I went to her house to remove them and this is what I found. What could I have done wrong? My tools were sterilized. I used a new file and buffer on her. I spray alcohol after every step I do. I wear gloves. I get her to wash her hands at least twice throughout the process. What could have happened? Are some people prone to fungus no matter how careful you are or is this definitely something I did to her? Can powder, acrylic brushes or cuticle oil become contaminated?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    947 KB · Views: 227
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    199 KB · Views: 142
This doesnt look like nail fungus to me but without seeing them up close, i cant guarantee that it isnt. It looks like the nail plate has separated from the nail bed. How did you remove them? Incorrect removal usually ends up in onycholysis. Those nails also look lije they have been over filed.

I soaked her fingers in pure acetone and the nails just came off. I did not force them. Her nails were definitely not over filed. She has sensitive fingers so I took extra care to just take the natural shine off

Perhaps ask her questions on how she cares for her nails at home cos going by the pictures, it definitely looks like onycholysis. To answer your other questions - it may or may not be caused by you and yes, products including your brushes can get contaminated. Can i ask how you sterilize your tools and what tools you sterilize? Also why do you get her to wash her hands twice? Do you make sure they are completely dry before working on them? Did she have any lifting? Does she soak her nails regularly, doing dishes etc? Does she type regularly?

I did ask her those types of questions. She said she had done some gardening and dishes. I got her to wash her hands twice, once after I took the shine off and once because she went outside for a cigarette I sterilize by first washing my nippers, drill bits, cuticle pusher and clippers in hot soapy water then put them in a sterilizing machine. After obsessing about it all day I think I made the mistake of doing a fill when I should have removed them and put on a new pair. Thinking back her nails did have a lot of lifting. It has put a dent in my self confidence but it's also a good learning opportunity. I will be much more careful in the future

I did ask her those types of questions. She said she had done some gardening and dishes. I got her to wash her hands twice, once after I took the shine off and once because she went outside for a cigarette I sterilize by first washing my nippers, drill bits, cuticle pusher and clippers in hot soapy water then put them in a sterilizing machine. After obsessing about it all day I think I made the mistake of doing a fill when I should have removed them and put on a new pair. Thinking back her nails did have a lot of lifting. It has put a dent in my self confidence but it's also a good learning opportunity. I will be much more careful in the future
Dont let it make you feel down. From what i can see you are doing everything right. Take those pictures in to your teacher and see what they have to say. Remember you are learning so you are going to come across problems. Professionals that have been doing nails for years still encounter problems. I dont call them errors or mistakes, i call them learning experiences and believe me, ive had a lot. All of us here have. ;)

Thank you. I really needed to hear that :)

It looks like a few different things are going on with those nails. At least 3 appear to have the beginnings of a bacterial infection (the green/brown discolouration), there is also damage to the nail plate, dehydration and over filing by the looks of it.

Over filing is something which does tend to occur while training so remember with each buff of the file you're removing layers of nail plate. So keep it minimal and make sure any file which is used directly on the surface of the natural nail plate is of a high grit.

The dehydration is presumably because you took the pic immediately after soak off?

The damaged areas can be a sign that some sort of force has been involved in separating the overlay from the nail plate. This can happen if the client doesn't follow good aftercare (using them as tools, opening cans etc with the extension) or if they've been knocked, caught on something or also aggressive removal.

The bacterial infection leads me to think she maybe knocked them, causing a separation which has then allowed moisture in and the infection to start.

When you went to remove them what condition were the nails in at that point? We're there any signs of damage, broken nails or any lifting?

It looks like a few different things are going on with those nails. At least 3 appear to have the beginnings of a bacterial infection (the green/brown discolouration), there is also damage to the nail plate, dehydration and over filing by the looks of it.

Over filing is something which does tend to occur while training so remember with each buff of the file you're removing layers of nail plate. So keep it minimal and make sure any file which is used directly on the surface of the natural nail plate is of a high grit.

The dehydration is presumably because you took the pic immediately after soak off?

The damaged areas can be a sign that some sort of force has been involved in separating the overlay from the nail plate. This can happen if the client doesn't follow good aftercare (using them as tools, opening cans etc with the extension) or if they've been knocked, caught on something or also aggressive removal.

The bacterial infection leads me to think she maybe knocked them, causing a separation which has then allowed moisture in and the infection to start.

When you went to remove them what condition were the nails in at that point? We're there any signs of damage, broken nails or any lifting?
Sorry for the late reply but I didn't get a notification that you had replied. She did admit that she is really rough on her nails and it cause breaking and lifting. I have since given her some anti fungal stuff which cleared of right up. I have another question on a different topic...I have a electric disinfecting machine but I got it used with no instruction booklet. There are two buttons - Disinfect and Power. It does not shut off by itself. How long should I leave the tools in there for them to be disinfected?

Cuticle oil can become contaminated if the brush or dropper is touched to the nail

Cuticle oil can become contaminated if the brush or dropper is touched to the nail
Good to know. Thank you :)

Latest posts

Back