Help Me!!!!! Natural Nail Overlays.

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sherry2k

Reaction score
Hiya all! I need a bit of direction for a wee problem. :irked:

I got a new client this week (hooray - always a good thing!) She wanted natural overlays and the occasional tip as her nails are very thin and break easily. So haste ye not - I obliged and told her to come on down and I'd do them no problemo.

Did all the prep accordingly, scrub freshed etc. as I always do.

Got a call from her tonight to say they're all peeling off!!! Hmmmm, I'm a bit miffed as I thot they were looking fab when she left.

Do ya reckon I've applied too thin? Do you think I should have made the acrylic thicker? I try to keep them reasonably thin so they look natural.

I've never done natural overlays before and thot 'piece of cake' - no blending - fab!

I've actually told her that I'm going to slowly convince her to go all tips as her nails are terribly thin, but she thinks natural overlays will make her natural nails thicker - I put her right on that one but hey ho - the customer is always right.

Where am I going wrong girls? Any ideas? She's coming back on Monday and I'm gonna do them again. Hopefully you guys can sort me out and tell me where I'm going wrong.

Thanks......... where did I leave my wine glass? - hic. :wink2:

Sherry.x

Oh and another thing I've just thot of.......am I complete twit? (Don't answer that!!)

I'm just taking this completely for granted and don't laff...... it is okay to use L & P on overlays isn't it????? I'm gonna look a right plonker if it's gel. I don't do gel. Oh God!

More wine please........... hic. :p

Personally I prefer to do natural overlays with L&P (I am biased bin doing gel 1 year, acrylic 3!).

I'm not sure if what I do is 100% correct but it works for me. I try and create the overlay in two or three beads. The first one I usually place on the natural smile line, pat the bead out and make sure that first bead extends the free edge slightly, (thats the most important part in my opinion) this is called capping the free edge. Make sure that bead is quite thin, I didn't know how to describe the thickness but try putting 7 pieces of standard printing paper together and look at the thickness of the edges, thats about the thickness I like. To finish place your beads as you normally would for an extention. HTH'S:D

Hiya, thanks for your reply.

I normally do all my applications in Zone's 1,2 & 3.

I will try and keep that tip in mind about the free edge.

Why is it peeling at the Matrix edge though? Still flummoxed - don't make sense!

Cheers, Sherry. x

Hi Sherry di dyou use Cuticle remover?
If you did......did you wash it off before applying acrylic?

Just a suggestion

HTH

Debbie

Hiya - no I didn't use cuticle remover on this occasion.

Her cuticles were fine and I just pushed them back.

Worried now as she's coming back tomorrow and I don't want the same thing to happen again.

Should I just apply the acrylic thicker?

S.x

I have had this problem with a friend of mine who lost all her nails within 3 days. They all lifted straight from the free edge and especially the cuticle area and virtually slid off. Best thing to do if you know your prep is fine, is when you prep your client you may have to do a couple of fingers at a time. Reason being she may just be one of those clients who produce alot of natural oil on her nails.

Best way to tell is when you see her, see if there is any stress marks on the nail or damage of any kind. This will tell you if she has chewed them off or picked them off, or it will show they have come off on their own. If the nail looks as it did before you applied the overlay, then chances are she has oily nail plates. When i had this problem, i did one nail at a time, but they still come off. There were no marks or damage to the natural nail at all. Also this could mean she just isn't meant to where overlays.

Good luck, i hope you sort it.

Latest posts

Back