Help! Nail course kit

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CMitchell

Reaction score
I am due to start my nail technician course in May and I need to get my kit although I am not sure whether to buy it from the college or just get it seperatley but this sounds like it would be too much hassle!!

Best to check with your college, have they not given you these details?

They have offered me the kit but I dont think it is of the best standard and I just wanted to get someone elses opinion on whether I should buy it seperatley!

What brand does the college use?:)

Hey, When i started my course i got the kit list from college and bought the items myself. I bought most of the items from sallys when it was vat free and what i couldn't get i bought online. Have a good look about to compare prices. I saved about £20 buying them myself although i didn't buy high end products they were probably better than what college supplied. Also what i did find when i started course was the students who did buy through the college most items were smaller sizes.1 file 1 sanding block etc where i had 10 pack of files and larger bottles of acetone, wipeoff solution etc so i would say buy it yourself. Oh and It's vat free today at sallys.

They have offered me the kit but I dont think it is of the best standard and I just wanted to get someone elses opinion on whether I should buy it seperatley!

So you don't HAVE to buy from your college? Do you have a list of products/equipment that you will need for the course?

Personally I would try and source the products myself if I knew what I needed. Like the previous poster said, you may be able to get larger quantities. Of course you then have the choice of which brands you want to use.
Rhiannon x

They have gave me a list of what I will need so I think I will go and source it myself, and as you said I can probably get more for my money and I can choose what I want then!

Thank you!!

X

The kit that some colleges provide is not of the best standard, therefore you may be better off sourcing it yourself, at least that way you know what you are buying.

They have gave me a list of what I will need so I think I will go and source it myself, and as you said I can probably get more for my money and I can choose what I want then!

Thank you!!

X

That's great! Have fun browsing and purchasing. I love buying products, bank balance doesn't though lol!
Rhiannon x

You still have not said what kit the College are providing as in what brand of products, Colleges do tend to go for the lower end kits, but not always as they bulk buy they can sometimes get a good deal with some good companies.

Is it Gel enhancements or acrylic (L&P) enhancements you will be learning?
What brand is the College kit, and have you researched it?
Have you already done a manicure course, and therefore have some knowledge and the correct tools of the trade, i.e. nippers, cuticle knife/pusher ?

If you buy a completely different brand and quality kit, how do you know it will work the same as the one your lecturer is using?
Different brands work to different mix ratios and some need pressed onto the nail whilst some just need patted, some brands you wipe your brush after applying the bead, others you don't (this is all L&P related).

Sometimes it can be worse that someone with no knowlede of products buys their own mix and match kit, rather than the College kit, which the lecturer is trained in and will be showing you how to use .

Latest posts

Back