Help! Need to get a refund for course I signed up for

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sjjones

Reaction score
I had signed up for a home study course with Stonebridge College to obtain ASET Level 3 Nail Technician dipolma.

After extensive research I have made a massive mistake as I cannot get insured to work from home with this qualification as it is not a recognised certificate.

The college themselves offer a membership to another company which in turn will insure you but I can't help thinking its a sister company and they are only doing it to get you through the door and take your money!

I have emailed the college today and basically said I was dissappointed for being so misled and asked for a refund.

They have since come back to me saying that I need to go direct to the principal and appeal. There is a waiver option and you can ask for a refund within 7 days of receiving your material (its only been 5 days since i got mine) but if i go through these channels as they are suggesting i do now the time will surely lapse.

I spoke to a lovely lady at essential today who confirmed my worries ref the course offered by stonebridge. She was v. helpful and I wish i'd signed up with them in the first place.

I am a single mum and my deposit of £85 that I paid to Stonebridge is alot of money to me (took 3 weeks to save) and I cannot sign up with en until I get it back.

Has anyone else gone through similar experiences??

HELP!!!!:cry:

I would do both. Ask for a refund in writing and keep a copy of the letter whilst appealing to the principal at the same time. I would be as polite as possible and maybe not point the finger. Just say how the lack of insurance would mean you cant benefit from the course as you would be unable to work in industry and that this is important to you. Good Luck x

I would ask for the head and ask for their email address and tell them my concerns and ask for a full refund. Usually if you are polite, yet to the point of what you want, they should understand and give you a refund. I had a problem with one of my courses (well tutors) and I emailed and asked if I could have a meeting with the head to discuss my concerns, but in the end he agreed to refund me via email communication.

I would ask for the head and ask for their email address and tell them my concerns and ask for a full refund. Usually if you are polite, yet to the point of what you want, they should understand and give you a refund. I had a problem with one of my courses (well tutors) and I emailed and asked if I could have a meeting with the head to discuss my concerns, but in the end he agreed to refund me via email communication.
Yes, email is good. You can prepare the email and run it by someone before you send it. Means you can say what you need and no awkwardness.

Hi thanks for your prompt replies.

I have emailed the college today and they have requested that my complaint is put into writing.

I have just refreshed my memory regarding the colleges terms and conditions and there is a cancellation clause as follows:

10. Cancellation

According to the Distance Selling Regulations 2000, you have a cooling off period of seven working days from receipt of goods. This period allows an unconditional right to cancel. You will be required to make such a request in writing to us at the address given above, and, at your cost return any received materials in a satisfactory and reasonable condition.

As I only received my materials last thursday I am still within this cooling off period. But nothing is said with regards to refunds!!!!

I have since looked on the Office of fair trading website regarding the distance selling regulation 2000 just to back up my query.

AAAAAGGGGGGGHHHHHHH!!

I just wanted to let you know before you make any further mistakes the EN course is not recognised by all insurance providers and is not recognised by hardly any of the nail training academies,
so if you ever wanted to do a conversion course or any further training with one of the leading companies you wouldn't be able to with this qualification and they would require you to do the full foundation course,
also if you ever decided that you wanted to work in a salon most employers would not happily employ you with an EN course hth
and i hope you manage to get your money back :hug:

I have emailed the college today and they have requested that my complaint is put into writing.

I have just refreshed my memory regarding the colleges terms and conditions and there is a cancellation clause as follows:

10. Cancellation

According to the Distance Selling Regulations 2000, you have a cooling off period of seven working days from receipt of goods. This period allows an unconditional right to cancel. You will be required to make such a request in writing to us at the address given above, and, at your cost return any received materials in a satisfactory and reasonable condition.

As I only received my materials last thursday I am still within this cooling off period. But nothing is said with regards to refunds!!!!

I have since looked on the Office of fair trading website regarding the distance selling regulation 2000 just to back up my query.

AAAAAGGGGGGGHHHHHHH!!

hello there...give the office of fair trading a phone call...I had to do this the other day about something else and they were really nice and so helpful...just a quick call and you will know exactly what to do im sure, hope you get it sorted :hug:

10. Cancellation

AAAAAGGGGGGGHHHHHHH!!
The cooling of period means you can change your mind and get a refund. Its a bit like catalogue shopping or buying goods on the internet.

I just wanted to let you know before you make any further mistakes the EN course is not recognised by all insurance providers and is not recognised by hardly any of the nail training academies,
so if you ever wanted to do a conversion course or any further training with one of the leading companies you wouldn't be able to with this qualification and they would require you to do the full foundation course,
also if you ever decided that you wanted to work in a salon most employers would not happily employ you with an EN course hth
and i hope you manage to get your money back :hug:

Help, i'm getting more and more confused.

What am I supposed to do ref a recognised qualification.

Anyone.....please...........

Help, i'm getting more and more confused.

What am I supposed to do ref a recognised qualification.

Anyone.....please...........

Do a classroom based course with a reputable company (CND, EzFlow, Young Nails, NSI, etc) or do a college course.

Nails os not a skill that can be learnt via dvd IMO, it's a skill that needs hand-on training and that's why salons wont accept home-learn qualifications.

hth's

You can get insurance from The Guild with a Essential Nails qualification :)

Do a classroom based course with a reputable company (CND, EzFlow, Young Nails, NSI, etc) or do a college course.

Nails os not a skill that can be learnt via dvd IMO, it's a skill that needs hand-on training and that's why salons wont accept home-learn qualifications.

hth's

The only problem is i live in Jersey, Channel Islands and i only have access to one college. They in turn only offer one nail tech course twice a year so i'd have to wait til january :(
Posted via Mobile Device

Hi hunny I hope you get the refund you so obviously deserve, just to clarify a couple of things for the future, if you do decide to do training with Essential Nails, you have no problems with insurance, I am insured with the Guild and I know there are a quite a few other insurers out there that will insure you. As far as other companies and conversions go, I do know Creative dont recognise EN trained techs, but so far I havent come across others that dont. I now use NSI and Le Chat...There are a lot of other brands out there and I havent tried them all so I can't speak for every system, but I have used a few and had no problems if I wanted to do a conversion ... HTH... xx

Hi hunny I hope you get the refund you so obviously deserve, just to clarify a couple of things for the future, if you do decide to do training with Essential Nails, you have no problems with insurance, I am insured with the Guild and I know there are a quite a few other insurers out there that will insure you. As far as other companies and conversions go, I do know Creative dont recognise EN trained techs, but so far I havent come across others that dont. I now use NSI and Le Chat...There are a lot of other brands out there and I havent tried them all so I can't speak for every system, but I have used a few and had no problems if I wanted to do a conversion ... HTH... xx

thanks hon for clearing that up for me

x

Do your self a favour and do some further research,
ring around the salons in jersey and ask them if they would employ someone with a certificate from EN,
also ring around the classroom based nail companies and find out how many of them would let you take a conversion course holding a cert from EN,
this will give you a true answer.
i will find some numbers for you.
creative 0845 210 60 60
ezflow 0845 330 0840
NSI 0500 131 009
OPI 01923 240 010
Magnetic nails 01977 699915
Le Chat 01362 693999
you can also google each company and email them for the info, hth

Last edited:
Hi all

Just thought I'd update you with the latest.

Basically I requested a refund from the college i'd signed up with regarding Nail tech course.

After further investigation I discovered that the diploma given at the end was only worth the paper it was printed on hence the request for cancellation.

I looked into getting my deposit back (£85) and under their terms and conditions and the distance selling regulation 2000, I was within my rights to cancel said course within seven working days of receipt and expect a refund as soon as possible.

I received an email from the college whom informed me that IF my cancellation was approved, I will hear back from them in writing within seven days.

This prompted me to call my local Trading Standards office and contact the Office of Fair Trading.

I am still in dispute with them and don't know if I will get my money back.

My local trading standards office have been sent all correspondence and will hopefully help.

So please, if you are about to sign up, do your research and read the small print/terms and conditions...........

Hiya,

:eek: This is absolutely shocking and a poor resemblance of the excellent courses that are available and accredited etc. :cry:

I was going to do a distance learning course with Stonebridge Associated College, which at the end of the course you needed to do 2 days of practical to get the accreditation from The Guild. Looks like an excellent course, but as you have pointed out it really isn't as simple as they make out at all. Con artists! :grr: But in the end decided to go with my local college in Oxford as I thought I'd need all the practical and tutor help I could get lol! :lol:

I hope you get your pennies back, and I hope the course provider gets tomotoes! :green:

D* xXx

Hi, Thanks for giving us the update, I do hope you get your money back, and can get on with do what you want to do which is nails.
Its a disgrace to the industry, that these places can get away with what they do, giving the impression that you will get a certificate at the end of the course that will enable you to get insurance. As if sorting out training isn't enough of a minefield to start with.
Wishing you the best hun with whoever you decide to train with in the future, just check them out fully before you part with any more cash. Go with a known name...xxxxx

Well I received a letter from them in the post today.

They have accepted the fact that I want to cancel - which is good, BUT........ they said that my materials were send back in a condition so bad that they are unable to reuse them and therefore charging me for them.

This is absolute bull as I was very careful as I obviously wanted my money back!

It also states that it could take 30 days for them to post my money back, even though I paid by debit card. Surely they should return the money as I sent it???????????

I'm really annoyed :mad:

If they are going to charge you for the materials tell them that you want the materials posted back to you....after all they should be yours if you are going to pay for them x

Latest posts

Back