Help needed re: training

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Emmaaaa

Reaction score
Hi there

My sister has opened a hair salon and I have been thinking about completing a training course in either shellac or gelish so I can offer this in the salon.

I'm a complete beginner - I don't have any previous experience. I have spent ages reading up about courses online and I still feel none the wiser! I'm based in glasgow and have found this course online: Gel Polish Manicure Diploma Course - The Scottish Therapy Academy

Is this the type of thing I should be looking to do? Any advice appreciated, I'm just looking to complete this as soon as possible and I really want to make sure I'm doing the right thing!

Thanks!

I would look into a natural nail / manicure course to get the background first which technically any advanced application course should want too, although some will just take your money. Tell wherever you enquire to you are a beginner...
Both Shellac and Gelish are excellent and I use both....

If you want to do natural nails, I would do a manicure and pedicure course and then if its just shellac or gelish or similar you want to do, do the specific course for the gel/power polish, that way you can do nails and toes and know the correct way to do the system of choice.

So I would suggest you ring

Nail harmony/gelish 0800 014 8300

Or

S2 sweet squared/CND shellac 0845 210 6060

And chat about what you want, doing a generic gel course is not always the best way to go, it won't teach you the exact way to do the system you choose, plus you don't want to be buying useless lamps and equipment that in the future you may not be able to use with the product.

Hope that helps.

Thanks for the information - I had originally looked into college courses but the course I looked at was full, hence why I was looking into these other quicker courses.
I will phone the numbers you listed for more information - I was just worried as there is so much conflicting information online and I don't want to end up doing a day course that ends up being useless to me in the long run as you don't receive a registered certificate at the end.

Most will end with a certificate but few will leave you with the confidence or knowledge you will need. I've done a couple of courses where you mentioned and found them a bit rushed and leaving me with loads of questions tbh.

Most will end with a certificate but few will leave you with the confidence or knowledge you will need. I've done a couple of courses where you mentioned and found them a bit rushed and leaving me with loads of questions tbh.

I know, I expected these courses just to be the very start and obviously real experience to be gained by practicing first but I didn't realise it would be such a minefield trying to find the right course!

Latest posts

Back