Help please! Chair rental

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KER101

Reaction score
Hi everyone was looking for some help.
After running a hair salon for 10 years i have decided to change it to renting chairs only.
Can anyone answer a few questions please??
What happens if the person renting goes on maternity will they be expected to pay to keep their chair?
Do they still pay for days that land on bank holidays?
If i employ someone to wash hair and manage the reception do they pay towards their wage?
Thanks x

Hi everyone was looking for some help.
After running a hair salon for 10 years i have decided to change it to renting chairs only.
Can anyone answer a few questions please??
What happens if the person renting goes on maternity will they be expected to pay to keep their chair?
Do they still pay for days that land on bank holidays?
If i employ someone to wash hair and manage the reception do they pay towards their wage?
Thanks x

My boss rents a chair out at work and coincidently the lady has just had a baby.
If someone rents a chair they are basically self employed.
The relationship between her and my boss great they get on really well. As far as I know she did not pay to keep the chair while on leave. However we took on he majority of her clients until she came back I work so we made a lot of extra money on all those clients.
She only pays to the rent the chair on the days that she's in. So if it's a bank holiday she doesn't pay.
I am employed by my boss who owns the salon and the lady that rents the chair does not pay towards my wages. As she is renting the chair only she has her own appointment book and client call her work mobile to arrange appointments if they call the salon we either pass the phone to her or give the client her work number.
I would guess it is different depending on the salon. But she is a very reliable person.
I hope this helps.

If self employed, you are not obliged to keep the chair open, nor pay maternity pay.
If you open on a bank holiday and your self employed stylist decides to take that day off she/he still pays for that day, if you are closed, then no, they don't pay, you can't charge someone for a day when they can't work due to you not opening.

If they take a holiday, they still pay chair rental - just like they still pay mortgage/ rent on their home if they go on holiday.

If you employ staff for general duties, you pay them, not the other self employed staff. X :)

Thanks for the help leannee x

Thanks KHS x

It's a mine field !!! I have had a self employed member in my salon on a 40/60 split in her favour, all done in good faith. She pays nothing else!!i buy all stock ,pay all bills .she felt she was being overcharged and wanted to sort a rent out but could nt come up with a figure.....it was then suggest , to try n keep the piece more as anything else, she give me 20% and get her own stock.....this still seems not to be suitable!! Plus I have been advised to do a complete stock check so I can charge for any use of my belongings .....argh!! So please get it all sorted before they cross the door

Sent from my iPad using SalonGeek mobile app

It's all really down to what you want, you would put it in a contract, there are so many different ways to do it, I use to rent a chair I paid a flat rate, I came and went when I wanted 24/7 ,i pay it regardless 52 weeks, I supplied all my own stock, we didn't have a receptionist or a assistant, but if you did you would just have to work this into the rent, whatever you decide to do just remember what you are not allowed to do, as in dictate hours of work , holidays or what they wear etc :)

Sent from my LT30p using SalonGeek mobile app

I rent in 2 salons in 2 towns, half a week in one, which i pay for my chair £30 a day or £15 for half and buy all my own stock. If im not in i dont pay, which i dont think you should have to.
In the other salon, i take 60% and use there stock.
Iv rented before where i pay a flat rate weekly, and pay it regardless of holidays etc. but think, once your stylist goes on maternity, the rent should until she comes back. Shes got enough to consider.
Im pregnant myself, and with the self employed maternity pay, your only entitled to £130 per week, that would be for herself, the baby and her home.
If it was me and i had to pay rent when i was on maternity. Id just give my chair up, and find somewhere else afterwards.
Sorry to sound harsh xx

Hi fayevix no i totally understand I'm trying to make it fair for everyone, just i only have 3 chairs to rent out and if they aren't all occupied i can't afford the overheads so if she's on maternity i will just have to look for someone else to rent the chair.
I have been in the same situation struggling on maternity pay so know what it's like.
Thanks for the help x

Thanks Lynn amber.
I will most probably have to employ someone to manage the reception and wash it's v busy salon and we will struggle without the help.
Also i do understand the girls will be their own boss and as long as the rents paid they can come and go as they please.
That's one of the reasons i am doing this lol!! X

You could maybe do a deal for maternity like 3 months half price or something ,it's always better to try and keep people than push the out the door, :)

Make sure you get a detailed contract drawn up by a qualified legal professional who has experience in this area. Contact your trade body such as NHF for advice. Don't rely on a handshake agreement! As with most things in life, preparation is key.

Think about what you need in terms of cash & commitment from the other party. You're running a business not a drop in centre so always make decisions based on sound business principles and not because you want to be liked/avoid confrontation.

Hope it goes well. :)

Reading this with interest. It's a tough one about the maternity leave and can understand it from both sides. On a slightly different note for child are you have to pay regardless if your child can't make it in for some reason to hold their place so maybe there should be some kind of middle ground for holding a place for renting a chair for someone who's not around?

The rent being paid should also cover the junior - or receptionist- the stylist also pays for sickness & holiday- like a child in a nursery- they pay for the 'chair'-

I can't see how you can keep the chair free for 9 months? Without any rent, and what if they don't come back after, as many mums don't.I also cannot see anyone paying for a chair they cannot use.I would just have see what happens hopeful there would still be space.

If you want to preserve your business you will pay something to keep your chair, I fell I'll with leukemia and paid for my chair I didn't know at the time how long I would be off or even if I would get back

Although im a therapist i would look at it another way if i was renting a room out. I firstly would discuss with the chair renter how long they want to take maternity leave. Some are quite happy with six weeks whilst others want the whole lot. Then i would put it into contract that they have that time off and have to rent for x amount of time once back off maternity leave. If the renter wants to rent for a day or two whilst on maternity leave then set a day rwte but also advertise the chair for however long the orginal renter is having off. This way your renter is coming bsck but your also offering a chair to someone who would love the chance to start their own business and your still getting an income. Win win for everyone

Sent from my GT-I9300 using SalonGeek mobile app

Although im a therapist i would look at it another way if i was renting a room out. I firstly would discuss with the chair renter how long they want to take maternity leave. Some are quite happy with six weeks whilst others want the whole lot. Then i would put it into contract that they have that time off and have to rent for x amount of time once back off maternity leave. If the renter wants to rent for a day or two whilst on maternity leave then set a day rwte but also advertise the chair for however long the orginal renter is having off. This way your renter is coming bsck but your also offering a chair to someone who would love the chance to start their own business and your still getting an income. Win win for everyone

Sorry but how would that work if you have promised to keep the chair for someone but then rent it to someone else you would be asking for a war there

I have already stated you rent for that period to cover maternity leave, just like you would have maternity cover anywhere else! Second renter is only there the duration the first renter is off. Not rocket science to ensure the chair is filled really

I have already stated you rent for that period to cover maternity leave, just like you would have maternity cover anywhere else! Second renter is only there the duration the first renter is off. Not rocket science to ensure the chair is filled really

What I ment is, one I would not take on a chair if it was only for x months,and 2 if I was the original renter a would be unimpressed by this set up, it's hard enough trying to build a client base never mind if you move about a lot or have someone stepping on your toes, also where would the second renter take there business to when the first one came back

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back