Help, please; to start at brand new salon or not?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Carina

Reaction score
Hi guys, I need some advice.
I qualified as a Beauty Therapist and Nail Tech this year, a friend of mine whom I attended college with asked if I was interested in working the beauty side of a new barbers opening.

This is a male only barbers/grooming salon.
I would be self employed working 3 days 10am/6pm
I would have to put my 2yr old son into Nursery costing £65 p/wk

After several meetings with the salon manager and owner the following has come to light.

They want to offer teeth whitening and would need us to have the relevant training costing the owner £425 each therapist, he wants us to sign a 6 month contract saying that if we leave before the 6 months is up we pay back the £425, logical from his point I know, however...

I asked since this is a new venture what their projected forcast of potential earnings were, their reply was no idea.

He wanted to discuss our 'commission'. No basic salary (as self employed) and a 50/50 split AFTER product costs taken off.

I asked if there was anyway that could guarentee a minimum of £65 p/wk to cover my expenses for nursery and was told no.

20% commission to me on retail sold with a target of products/services to sell.

We asked that as we are self employed, if we have no clients booked in could we choose to leave and return for a walk in or did we have to stay, he said we had to stay and if we wern't busy to help out in the barbers sweeping or covering reception (pls remember that there is no basic wage)

I asked for confirmation that I was expected to stay for 8 hrs per day just in case a client walked in and was told yes.

I said that I was uncomfortable with having a £250 monthly nursery bill, without them giving me any idea of possible earnings and quite possibly not earning anything and being tied into this for 6 months to avoid a £425 bill.

Is this a normal case of affairs? I have not worked in a salon before and would like some idea if what is being proposed is the 'done' thing or am I being taken for a ride?

I have just set up my own website and have business cards, all my kit etc for a mobile beauty/nails service, shall I put all my energy into this or risk the salon?

Some advice would be much appreciated.

Thanks guys :Scared:

Run away fast...

1. If they are trying to set your hours and duties, training etc. then you are not self employed as far as HMRC are concerned.

2. Teeth Whitening??? Don't even go there. Just do a quick search on here and you'll understand why not.

3. If it's a male only salon, will you attract enough clients for nails/beauty treatments?

Go mobile and keep the money you earn

I'm a little confused as to why you have posted the exact same post twice on here?

I replied to one only to find another identical one.

:eek: Im sorry! Eeek! I'm new to this site and didn't realise that my threads would show up in the same place, because they are under different forum names I thought different people looked at each one... So apologies *Hides

Thank you so much for the feedback though it certainly helps solidify in my mind that i'm making the right decision in saying no. I just couldn't stop thinking about it and wanted some peace of mind that i'm not overthinking it and worrying for nothing, it's nice to hear that my worries are not unfounded.

Thank you

:eek: Im sorry! Eeek! I'm new to this site and didn't realise that my threads would show up in the same place, because they are under different forum names I thought different people looked at each one... So apologies *Hides

Thank you so much for the feedback though it certainly helps solidify in my mind that i'm making the right decision in saying no. I just couldn't stop thinking about it and wanted some peace of mind that i'm not overthinking it and worrying for nothing, it's nice to hear that my worries are not unfounded.

Thank you

Hey it's ok, I was just confused as was going to reply again and realised it was an identical thread. Anyway...

Sounds like someone wants an employee but doesn't want you having any of the benefits, ie holiday pay etc.

If you're self employed nobody can tell you what hours you work. Soon as they start with that nonsense you are no longer self employed.

They need to have a look at ACAS that will soon put them straight. Don't touch them with a barge pole.

If you didn't have your son I'd say it might be worth the risk. The male grooming industry is one of the fastest growing with a lot of men showing interest in this previously female dominated service but struggleing to show their metrosexuality in so far as actually going into a "beauty salon". He could have a nice little earner on his hands :) I don't think he should do teeth whitening though, more male waxing, massage, facials. Perhaps investigate this side of the industry and go back to him with a business plan? Detailing which services you feel world work and make him money. You are after all the therapist where as he is just a businessman.
Maybe suggest that you will do 2 days self employed but NOT the teeth whitening. Give it three months and if its not working leave

Teeth whitening is just part of it, he wants to offer, waxing, facials, spray tanning, mani + pedi's too. It's not the treatments I'm worried about its the self employed thing and the way he wants to work the commission and working hours....

I'm employed at my work but there are self employed staff too. Both sides have benifits. I get paid for holidays but am limited in how many I can take. They get to drink coffee if they have a gap whilst i put stock away etc. They do tend to hang around all day, even if they have no body in as they would rather do a walk in then nothing. Could you do just one day whilst its establishing to test the water?

And ask for 60% x

I get paid for holidays but am limited in how many I can take. They get to drink coffee if they have a gap whilst i put stock away etc.

This is the thing, he wants me to 'put the stock away, sweep, cover reception etc (if im not with a client) but I won't be getting paid for it, or be earing any holiday entitlement.

Then tell him no. Although I love the idea of cornering the make grooming market :)

Hi, it sounds to me like there are more negatives than positives for you in this deal. I'd tread with caution and likely say no unless you get the deal to a place where you'd be happy.

I would pursue your mobile business for definate.

I don't like the idea that he's telling you that you will be self employed and yet he can dictate to you what hours you work. This is totally wrong and he sounds like he's pulling a fast one, ie tax evasion.

As for the teeth whitening uh wouldn't touch that with a barge pole. Here's a link to the reality of it.

http://www.salongeek.com/biz-geek/1...ning.html?highlight=Teeth+whitening+Botox+boy

Hth a little bit more. Was really tired last night and didn't reply as fully as I would normally.

Wow! I had no idea about the teeth whitening, it sounds like a minefield! How come you see so many salons with displays in their windows offering teeth whitening if its illegal?

Latest posts

Back