Help-problem nails after application of Shellac

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pnut40

Reaction score
Hi, I need some help. I am just about to complete my CND complete course and have performed a lot of manicures. But yesterday stumped me. I had a new client who had previously had shellac applied by another technician. I removed the shellac as normal, some needed a little gentle help from an orangewood stick. However this is what I was left with.

x21k77.jpg

2qi4svt.jpg

I tried some gentle buffing on one nail, but it made no difference. They weren't flaky, we're fairly smooth but with white patches. They were not like this before she had the previous shellac applied. I asked her if she used gloves when dealing with water, and she doesn't, and has her hands in water a lot.

I reapplied shellac, and I think they look good. I have asked her to use gloves from now on. I unfortunately couldn't give her any solar oil as I do not have my retail side set up yet.

29xj890.jpg

Has any one seen this before? Any explanations? All help gratefully received as I would like to start remedying this at her next appointment.

Surface dehydration ,

Wear you using the shellac nourishing remover ?

Maybe her past tech wasn't ,
Either way I would use it and definitely retail some solar oil ,
Nice job :)

Hi- these appear to be dehydrated nails(from the picture) and no amount of buffing will get rid/cure this. What these nails need is Solar Oil-lots of it and TLC.
As you are waiting to go on your CND course maybe stay away from using the products until you have got all the knowledge on the products and procedures. As in a Shellac manicure it does not require any buffing of the nail plate. Good luck with your course.x

Sent from my iPhone using SalonGeek app

Hi- these appear to be dehydrated nails(from the picture) and no amount of buffing will get rid/cure this. What these nails need is Solar Oil-lots of it and TLC.
As you are waiting to go on your CND course maybe stay away from using the products until you have got all the knowledge on the products and procedures. As in a Shellac manicure it does not require any buffing of the nail plate. Good luck with your course.x

In all fairness she says she's about to finish her compleat course ,
So she is in training ,
You can't avoid using products and practicing while training ,

You are right that buffing isn't needed before or on removal of shellac , but sometimes with flaky delaminating nails (not like these it will help to remove)

Another thing that can be done is buffing some solar oil in with the buff side of a koala and then scrub fresh and re apply your shellac .

Last edited:
Yes i saw that OP is in training. And whilst i agree with you that you can slight buff any flaky debris away near the free edge. By now if at the end of a course, nail dehydration would /should of been covered and the use and benefits of Solar Oil, with it being a CND course, the OP would now also know that you do not buff the nail plate on a Shellac service. X

In all fairness she says she's about to finish her compleat course ,
So she is in training ,
You can't avoid using products and practicing while training ,

You are right that buffing isn't needed before or on removal of shellac , but sometimes with flaky delaminating nails (not like these it will help to remove)

Another thing that can be done is buffing some soak oil in with the buff side of a koala and then scrub fresh and re apply your shellac .

Thank you mizzy_dizzy. I have very nearly finished as I said, on Monday to be precise, so thank you for backing me up. I thought dehydrated too, especially when she said about not using gloves. I will retail solar oil to her ASAP. I thought when I was writing my post about a spare bottle I got on my course, so will use that.

Thank you for your time.

Xoxox

Yes i saw that OP is in training. And whilst i agree with you that you can slight buff any flaky debris away near the free edge. By now if at the end of a course, nail dehydration would /should of been covered and the use and benefits of Solar Oil, with it being a CND course, the OP would now also know that you do not buff the nail plate on a Shellac service. X

I checked with all others on my course if they remembered any pictures like this, no one did.. I was not buffing as part of the shellac service. I was very gently buffing to have a look to see if it just on the surface, it was obvious after one swipe of the file that it wasn't, so I stopped. OKAY!!!

The op only buffed one nail to see if it made any difference as she said - I think because she had not come across it before she wasn't sure what it was and was simply trying it to check for flakiness or if it would buff off the surface. It will be a good way to teach her client the need for oil when she eventually sees the difference x

I checked with all others on my course if they remembered any pictures like this, no one did.. I was not buffing as part of the shellac service. I was very gently buffing to have a look to see if it just on the surface, it was obvious after one swipe of the file that it wasn't, so I stopped. OKAY!!!

The nails look really lovely by the way x

As a new tech its possibly the first time she's come across it in a real wold situation ,

Learning to use your judgement on when to buff / when not to comes with experience ,

I don't doubt she will have covered the magic of solar oil , but in classes there is so much info swimming around that again experience shows us the proof.She did mention solar oil and not being able to retail it yet :)

There are seasoned nail techs regularly on here not knowing the benefits of solar oil , and not quite understanding the full workings , asking questions about it ,

Surface dehydration ,

Wear you using the shellac nourishing remover ?

Maybe her past tech wasn't ,
Either way I would use it and definitely retail some solar oil ,
Nice job :)

It wasn't the nourishing remover, unfortunately it isn't it he remover they give on the complete course. And due to the outlay of the course, I can't quite yet afford to get all the bits I would rather be using. Like the nourishing remover and the Brisa lite instead of the Brisa.

Xx

Before you soak off the next set try applying some solar oil to the nails first to try and counteract the drying effects of removal. The nails you did look lovely by the way :)

Before you soak off the next set try applying some solar oil to the nails first to try and counteract the drying effects of removal. The nails you did look lovely by the way :)

Thank you. I will do that. And get some solar oil to her ASAP too. X

so what your saying is apply oil to mask what the nail plate condition truly looks like from the product that has removed or use a remover that contains oils to hide the true state of the nail then to go on and have to re-dehydrate and remove all that oil and then tell the client you should of used solar

i do not use this product as it really frustrates me when i have new clients that use or have used this product only to have this what i call and the client call damage to the nail plate and look of the nail as it did not look like this when they first had there nails done from a professional product that is all it states to be

what i would say is get use to seeing that look with your clients or switch brands or hide it with oil or blame the client for not oiling every day

i personally blame those who make the product and choose not to take on a product that is going to blame the client and or nail tech

but don't worry because you can use the new ibx nail repair right that is more money for you to lay out but you can charge extra how about they make it simple gel/power polish that does not cause damage to the nail

nail techs need to demand more from professional products and hold the manufacturer accountable after all you have done the education done the practical and payed a lot of money most of the time for that education you have done there courses you buy there product but it continues to be the nail techs lack of know how and or the client wrong it is the products

i personally look at results overall not a specific brand
i am only to sure you will see some changes regarding this product soon uv/led compatibility etc...?

Solar oil might give a tempery masking effect BUT it also is capable of penetrating the nail plate , in fact it will also penetrate the surrounding skin and your enhancements enough to plasticize them when it is used regularly .
it is a deep conditioning treatment .

Not all cuticle oils are capable of this ,

Of course nails that are prepped (dehydrated) and then covered , then soaked off will look like this without regular conditioning treatments .
Just as hair would be if it was all lightning and no conditioners .

It's down to the nail tech to prescribe the after care , the conditioners .and down to the client to USE it , So I don't really understand why it frustrates you when clients come with surface dehydration ?
If after care is followed this would not be the result would it?

What you say about IBX I'm not sure if its meant in a sarcastic way or not? I try not to read tone , But either way there is nothing wrong with nail techs adding services to boost there income ? Is there ? I'm not aware of anyone who doesn't want to grow there income or client base ?

A lot of nail techs DO demand more from there products ,

That's why companies like CND continue to expand and improve there products ,

L&P with out a primer

L&P & uv gels with out yellowing

Hypoallergenic UV gels & gel polishes ,

Uv gels are Cool ,

UV gel that can be applied with out etching the natural nail,

UV color that can be removed completely and quickly with out buffing

Not to mention the ultimate east to use home care do all solar oil

Vinalux , spa products , and the list goes on ,

As for led there will be an LED lamp along soon , this is no secret :)

Nothing more to add but just wanted to say what a great job you've done your clients nails look amazing well done x

Nothing more to add but just wanted to say what a great job you've done your clients nails look amazing well done x

Thank you very very much. It's lovely to hear that from a pro. XOXO

You've made a lovely job of those nails. :)

I've posted this from Doug because it explains how improper removal can cause the appearance of white spots, even with a wooden tick. I'm not inferring that you caused it in any way, but it is possible that the previous tech wasn't so careful and may have caused this and that the dehydrating effect on the remover that you used has caused them to appear?

I can stop posting Doug's stuff this last week. Love that guy :green:

Schoon Scientific - Doug Schoon, scientist and nail industry expert provides educational articles

I'm afraid another thread that is difficult to follow!

I believe we, as nail technicians, have to accept that there is a 'pay off' when using many nail services. No one questions that having you hair coloured results in some permanent damage. Why should this be any different for nails??

Even continual polish removal results in damage; hand washing results in damage; soaking nails during a simple manicure results in nail damage.

I truly believe that IBX (from Famous Names) will address this 'pay off'. Nails need protection and repair and, often, continual use of oil is not enough!

What is this IBX! Interested to hear about it! X

Latest posts

Back