Help re using Toughen Up

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Carole Lindsay

Reaction score
One of my clients who has occasional nail enhancements for weddings etc. asked me to get something to strengthen her nails as she is a landscape gardener and is very hard wearing on them. I immediately thought of Toughen Up (which i bought at Excel!) as its mentioned so much. She doesnt paint her nails so wouldnt be using it as a base coat. How often should she apply it for strength?

Initially twice a week for about 3-4 weeks and then once a week.

A formaldehyde free top coat such as Super Shiney is not a bad idea either at the same time but not absolutely necessary. Better to go without then to use one that contains formaldehyde or formalin etc.

geeg said:

A formaldehyde free top coat such as Super Shiney is not a bad idea either at the same time but not absolutely necessary. Better to go without then to use one that contains formaldehyde or formalin etc.
Thanks very much: your timely response is much appreciated as i'm about to drop the product round to the client in half an hour!!! :) I dont think she intends to use polish or a top coat so will give her your instructions.

You beat me to the question Carole! I have a client who is using toughen up and then speedy top coat. She has asked me if she should add to the layers so to speak, or remove and replace each time? Does the toughen up work if it is over a top coat or should it be on the natural nail to do its job properly?

geeg said:

I'm back from the client so time to ask a further question of you, Geeg! :) Why did you say not to use a top coat that has formaldehyde in it? Is it because the Toughen Up has it in and it would be too much formaldehyde?

Carole Lindsay said:
I'm back from the client so time to ask a further question of you, Geeg! :) Why did you say not to use a top coat that has formaldehyde in it? Is it because the Toughen Up has it in and it would be too much formaldehyde?
No. Toughen Up has no formaldehyde in line with CND policy not to use products that are deleterious to the nail plate.

Formaldehyde is very drying to the nail plate ... it removes moisture from it (why most hardeners contain it) which makes the plate go hard, and eventually very brittle. This is the reason I said not to use a top coat with F. in it if her plates are already in need of a strengthener.

Toughen Up works differently. It contains a chemical known as DMU which helps to naturally cross link the layers of keratin in the plate for extra strength and toughness.

We should all stay away from products that contain formaldehyde. It is this chemical that also turns nail plates yellow when people wear polishes that contain it non stop.

By the way. Formaldehyde is totally different from the formaldehyde Resin which does not have the same effect at all and is an ingredient that CND use in all enamels as well as Toughen Up as a stabilizer. Do not be confused it is quite a different animal, and is only a trace ingredient anyway,not an active ingredient.

Wow, I thought my product knowledge was pretty good.......still so much to learn!!!

geeg said:
No. Toughen Up has no formaldehyde in line with CND policy not to use products that are deleterious to the nail plate.

Formaldehyde is very drying to the nail plate ... it removes moisture from it (why most hardeners contain it) which makes the plate go hard, and eventually very brittle. This is the reason I said not to use a top coat with F. in it if her plates are already in need of a strengthener.

Toughen Up works differently. It contains a chemical known as DMU which helps to naturally cross link the layers of keratin in the plate for extra strength and toughness.

We should all stay away from products that contain formaldehyde. It is this chemical that also turns nail plates yellow when people wear polishes that contain it non stop.

By the way. Formaldehyde is totally different from the formaldehyde Resin which does not have the same effect at all and is an ingredient that CND use in all enamels as well as Toughen Up as a stabilizer. Do not be confused it is quite a different animal, and is only a trace ingredient anyway,not an active ingredient.
The resin would explain it coz the client was reading out loud the ingredients in front of me and I heard the word "formaldehyde" and i thought "eh???"!!!

Do-it-all Deb said:
I have a client who is using toughen up and then speedy top coat. She has asked me if she should add to the layers so to speak, or remove and replace each time? Does the toughen up work if it is over a top coat or should it be on the natural nail to do its job properly?
Can somebody help with the answer to this please? :confused:

Hi Debbie,

I may be wrong here but when I use "Toughen Up" on its own (no top coat) I do layer it every 3rd day for about a week & a half to two weeks, remove and do a mini manicure and start all over again untill I'm happy. By doing a full manicure first and a mini one in btween I find this helps.
Hope I'm right here in doing this but I never had any problems and if I wrong can some one please let me know.

Do-it-all Deb said:
Can somebody help with the answer to this please? :confused:
Toughen Up should be applied to the natural nail to be effective as how it works is to add cross links to the natural nail.

Yuo can layer it as Claddagh Nails says which I find is a very good way to use it.

Latest posts

Back