Help! Red hot roots!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kaitlinmarie622

Reaction score
Hi, Everyone! I'm in beauty school and I decided to color my moms hair. I'm used to using goldwell at school, but beauty supplies around me don't sell it! I decided to go with matrix. I used 5n (because she's grey) and 5rv with 20v. Her roots ended up turning red, I don't understand why because I was taught if you used a nuetral that wouldn't happen! Anyway what should I do now?!

Hi, Everyone! I'm in beauty school and I decided to color my moms hair. I'm used to using goldwell at school, but beauty supplies around me don't sell it! I decided to go with matrix. I used 5n (because she's grey) and 5rv with 20v. Her roots ended up turning red, I don't understand why because I was taught if you used a nuetral that wouldn't happen! Anyway what should I do now?!

You would have got the same result using 5RV from Goldwell what colour was you originally trying to achieve?

Is it possible that you incorrectly analysed the colour through the lengths and ends? If they are any deeper/browner than a 5RV then your formula would have looked like hot roots.

Remember that natural-looking colour should always appear deeper and cooler at the scalp, and lighter and brighter through the lengths and ends.

Or were you expecting the 5N to make the final shade deeper than a 5RV?

Or did the root colour appear lighter than a 5RV? Then it may have been a coverage issue.

Did she already have color on her hair?

If the roots of the hair are looking like they are glowing they are obviously a lighter shade then the ends. Re evaluate the client and chose the appropriate shade of colour. Maybe you needed to use a level 4 instead or maybe even a weaker developer! :) I work with matrix and I do find they lift extremely easy, even with 10vol.

In Matrix if there is a lot of grey you would use 505N instead of 5n and only then would you use 20 vol !
The deposit colours in Matrix otherwise you use 10 vol .
The red will pick up more vibrantly on white hairs so you would need to add less red to the mix for grey hair .
Matrix also have the Dream age series which are all pre mixed with warm tones already added ! Maybe an option for the future but for now you will have to neutralise the red with some ash !

How long did you leave it on her scalp? Matrix colour is built up from 3 molecules, and the pre blended base in matrix colour only comes out in the last 10 minutes. Did you use matrix developer with it? It contains a triple pop peroxide to make sure all colour molecules are popped into the hair. If you take the colour off too early you run the risk of just having the tone at the roots and not the deeper pre blended base which you would need for grey coverage. x

Latest posts

Back