help regarding the sun and nail care

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

softpeach

Reaction score
hi all, can anyone help. this is a strange question to ask but here goes :|
have been asked by a lady who has only had 1 set of l@p. she had them done a few days before her holiday in June last year and apparently when she was on her holiday the top coat came away leaving a glue like film on top of nails and they turned black after applying sun cream :eek: .
does this happen? would like to say i didn't do her nails and not sure if i want to put a set of gels on before her holiday in may. x

A good quality insect repellant will contain Deet, which is the active ingredient for repelling those pesky biting creatures...Deet unfortunately is not good for nail extensions and will melt them.

Bit of a dilemma, be bitten or have lovely nails.....hmmmm :lol:

The black was probably caused by dust, debris, fluff, etc. sticking to the surface of the nails once they were tacky.

Advice her to use the flat of her hands for smoothing on the repellant or suntan lotion and wash her hand throughly afterwards and soon as possible.

HTH

As long as you've cured your gel correctly & all the application is A1 I can't see why you would have the same problem

At a guess- They turned black ? A reation between the 2, enamel & sunscreen.
In all honesty - I've heard some stuff in my time but never this:eek:

PS> Was thinking the same thing as trinity.....Fluff n stuff sticking to the tacky film on the nail.

XX J XX

cheers guys, you can never tell what people do with there nails, i think she fault they where indestructible no matter what you apply to your skin, :lol:

A good quality insect repellant will contain Deet, which is the active ingredient for repelling those pesky biting creatures...Deet unfortunately is not good for nail extensions and will melt them.

Bit of a dilemma, be bitten or have lovely nails.....hmmmm :lol:

The black was probably caused by dust, debris, fluff, etc. sticking to the surface of the nails once they were tacky.

Advice her to use the flat of her hands for smoothing on the repellant or suntan lotion and wash her hand throughly afterwards and soon as possible.

HTH

Had exactly the same problem in Oct on holiday. Insect repellent left my nails sticky n a right mess!

Luckily I had taken a buffer with me, so buffed them up n wore gloves when putting my repellent on. I've never been bitten on the hands in my life, so it wasn't a problem them not getting protected.

Mine never went BLACK, black, but they were very grubby looking. Like you say it was just dirt clinging to the sticky layer!

Was just thinking - We use alot of sunscreen in Australia & I really havn't seen or had this problem. Wonder if any other Aussie techs have??

My clients use sunscreen, but never had any reported tacky results from anything used here.

XX J XX

Was just thinking - We use alot of sunscreen in Australia & I really havn't seen or had this problem. Wonder if any other Aussie techs have??

My clients use sunscreen, but never had any reported tacky results from anything used here.

It wasn't the sunscreen that did it to me, it was the repellent. And again, that might depend on the brand used.....

softpeache's first post mentioned her client used sunscreen on holidays thats what made me think about the sunscreen here.

Have heard UK techs mention Deet in repellant but not sunscreen affecting nails/enamel etc

XX J XX

softpeache's first post mentioned her client used sunscreen on holidays thats what made me think about the sunscreen here.

Have heard UK techs mention Deet in repellant but not sunscreen affecting nails/enamel etc

XX J XX

Yeah, was just thinking out loud though, cos many sunscreens you can buy here have insect repellent in.

Many years ago when I backpacked round Australia I was told off BIG style in a chemist for not wearing sunscreen :eek: I know you are more clued up than most other countries on it's importance, but wasn't sure if you mixed it with repellent though....:hug: ( I never got bit once in Oz!)

Latest posts

Back