Help Required for New Business

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

raajk

Reaction score
Hi All

I opened up my open nail/beauty salon two weeks ago, everything is going well at the moment we are in a busy area which helps and get alot of passing trade. We have been quite busy and are doing quite well for the month of December.

I am getting worried about January as i know it is a quiet month and was thinking of running some special offers? Looking for some advice on what i could offer and to see if anything has worked well for you?

I offer nail extensions, dermalogica facials & body treatments, waxing, OPI manicure, OPI pedicure, threading, Hollywood Toes, Eyelash tint & Perm....

Any advice would be greatly appreciated and would be helpful to know what has worked for you during the quieter months.

Thanks in advance ( Also i will get round to updating my profile have just been really busy lately!)

Raaj

I don't mean to sound rude but there are sooooo many threads discussing this matter. Are you familiar with the search function on this site? If not, do take a moment to check it out.
In the meantime here are a couple to whet your appetite.

http://www.salongeek.com/biz-geek/84241-how-can-you-promote-without-discounting.html

http://www.salongeek.com/biz-geek/7...ads-together-some-great-advertising-xmas.html

http://www.salongeek.com/biz-geek/84345-advice-avoiding-recession-mentality.html

http://www.salongeek.com/biz-geek/83160-more-ways-promote-your-business.html#post848493

Marketing and networking are key to your success.

I have been handing out £5 off vouchers (minimum treatment price £10) to everyone who comes into the salon. Hopefully it will generate enough business to get through the month.

I have been handing out £5 off vouchers (minimum treatment price £10) to everyone who comes into the salon. Hopefully it will generate enough business to get through the month.

Before I became a nail tech I was a nail client. It was that very type of £5 voucher that got me to get my nails done. I couldn't justify the full expense to myself if they were going to be a waste of time and look awful ( I knew nothing about nails at the time and so didn't have a clue about how they would turn out ... maybe they should have had before and after pics so I could see and would have paid the full price anyway!!!!!?). So I went for it, and got hooked so much I became a nail tech myself in the salon!!!

January is always an odd time. Remember though that gym memberships are usually at their peak in January with all the New Year Resolutions so maybe focus your advertising and marketing on that mindset. I also know a salon that every Jan and Feb they do buy one get one free on manis, pedis and back massages and it was hugely successful.

Also remember that it's a time when people redeem their gift vouchers so try and avoid spending that money until they are redeemed, otherwise you end up with what appears to be a full diary and no actual money in the till.

And if you are busy in December try and discipline yourself not to spend it all but make a provision to hold some back to see you through the lean times (this is the one I always struggle with!!!!)

I don't know how things will go this year in January, but in previous years we have always found that people are still in the 'spending mode' that they get into in December and they also haven't had their credit card bills yet so haven't reined-in their spending, so January can actually be an ok month:)

I don't know how things will go this year in January, but in previous years we have always found that people are still in the 'spending mode' that they get into in December and they also haven't had their credit card bills yet so haven't reined-in their spending, so January can actually be an ok month:)

That's what we usually find as well, & February is the quiet month for us. Who knows this time round though.

Marketing, & lots of it with lots of good incentives & offers is the key me thinks.

Hi

I was thinking, when someone books a dermalogica facial or body treatments they receive a free OPI File & Polish, Book a manicure and receive a pedicure at half price?

Also was thinking of putting a 10% off voucher in the local paper?

Do you think something like this would work?

Hi

I was thinking, when someone books a dermalogica facial or body treatments they receive a free OPI File & Polish, Book a manicure and receive a pedicure at half price?

Also was thinking of putting a 10% off voucher in the local paper?

Do you think something like this would work?

I think the 1st 2 options would be better, especially if you mention what the freebie part is worth. Something that has a high perceived value of what they are saving is always good.

You have to make your offer good enough for people to stop what they are doing in their busy lives, and pick up the phone or call in to make that appointment.

Me personally, I wouldn't pick up the phone for a 10% discount. Clients are now very savvy & I don't think many would be tempted by 10% off, especially if they only want to get their eyebrows done for example.

In my Christmas cards to clients, I've included 3 vouchers...

1 for 25% off any 2 treatments in Jan
1 for a free back, neck & shoulder massage in Feb (When they spend £30 or more in one appointment)
1 for 50% off a manicure when they book a pedicure & reflexology appt together, in March.

Hopefully, I will see a few coming regularly, and my quiet months won't be quite so quiet!! If they don't use at least one, I'll eat my slippers! :)

Latest posts

Back