Help required with neighbour

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bubbabinks

Reaction score
Hi,

Its a long story so bare with me...
I recently moved into a Housing Assocation property (2bed) with my hubbie and 2 young kids. I have a lovely neighbour to my right who has same size property and to my left I have 2 one bed houses that back onto the side of mine so they dont have a garden.
One of those has been occuiped since not long after I moved in (I call him Mr.Laidback - cos hes so quiet) and the other nearest the front of my house has remained unoccupied and sort of still is.
We are all Housing Assocation and I believe this property was rented the same day as we said yes to ours.
I saw the lady in the carpark plus dog and at the time thought she would turn it down due to lack of garden.
Things have been sat in the window pretty much from that day, but not occupied.
A couple of weeks ago she had carpet laid, but still not moved in.
Today from about 4pm there has been a dog whining/howling and a huge dog barking continuosly. I have been round and there is no sign of her or furniture, but you can see a massive dog and what sounds like a smaller shut in the loo.
I have left a note on her door to let her know what her dogs have been doing, but am not sure what to do next because I dont want to have this everyday. The note is polite and friendly because I dont want het to think the neighbours are on at her and sometimes you truely are not aware what your pets get up to when you're not around.
Mr Laidbacks girlfriend was really annoyed as well - he wasnt about. He has apparently met the mystery neighbour and she is a police dog trainer, so I could have this all the time.
I'm really worried because this is the perfect home for us, its a lovely area for the kids to grow up in and nice and peaceful apart from that. We were given this because where we used to live was a living nightmare for us and I just dont want to go through that again.
Dont get me wrong I do love dogs and I dont want to a pain in the bum neighbour thats why before I lose it cos they wake the kids up one more time I get some perspective on it.
Please please any advice would be helpful.
(Sorry for going on)

Wait and see what she says, dogs shouldn't really be left that long. If they have shelter and water theres little the rspca would do.
If she hasn't moved in properly she will still be sorting things out including the care of the dogs.
If its a case of the dogs constantly barking, you would have to see the enviromental health, I'm sure they see to nuisance noise.

She's been round this morning to apologise "they dont normally do this"
Shes off out this afternoon and wants me to let her know if they bark/howl.
It looks like they are permently moving in I was hoping they would be her work dogs, no such luck.
Shes not sure when she is moving in, will be coming and going with the dogs, oh joy how will they ever settle?!
I love dogs we even thought about getting one ourselves, but because I didnt want to take it with me everytime I left the house we decided not to get one as you dont know if they are howling/barking/chewing your furniture.

Ah well at least shes been round to apologise, they are in a strange place so they will bark and cry for a while.
You'll just have to be patient and see how things go.

I don't think anyone would think you are a dog hater or overly fussy neighbour. You are entitled to live peacefully without disruption from the neighbours. You left a note and so far she seems reasonable enough. You may have to bare with her for a week or so as the dogs probably need time to settle as they are in a strange environment and she is still moving in. Perhaps give it another week and then if another chat is futile then the local authority should send out a dog warden if a complait is lodged. As a police dog handler though, I think this neighbour should know better than to leave her dogs for long periods if they are distressed.

She says she only left them for a couple of hours but the dogs were barking longer then that.
My concern is that her house fronts onto the driveway to our communal carparking area and Im thinking that everytime a car or person goes past this dog will bark. I can only wait and see.
She seemed nice enough and I dont want to cause ruptions, but for many years in other addresses I have always been the considerate neighbour that wont say anything so as not to upset people and suddenly I think why should I, I have to live here to.
I will wait and see how the dogs settle in.

I think you have done the right thing. My mom and dad have a dog and they did'nt realise just how bad he was when they left him (even, if only away for an hour). Anyway, while we were away at our caravans (mine is opposite my moms) I took a video of the dog on my mobile phone. He howled and barked non stop, she could'nt believe it when I showed to her, she was gobsmacked!!

Quick up-date.
Bumped into the owner in the carpark, she asked me if he had barked whilst she was out this afternoon, he hadnt.
Shes said if he does let her know then she can do some training with him cos she knows she has a problem and apparently although there her pets they do work as police dogs. I checked and the big one isnt an attack dog, I know there trained but you do worry when you have kids.
I am really rather relieved that shes been so nice about it, because I'm not sure how I would of reacted if I was in her position.

Glad its working out. Your comment made me laugh about being glad it isn't an attack dog, police dogs are highly trained and don't attack, they are trained to hold onto the criminal or sit and bark at them.

Hi,

I can't understand why the Housing Association would rent a house out to someone with dogs where there is no garden?

I suspect she doesn't even have permission to keep these dogs in the house from the Association. Certainly my work (a HA) must have given permission to keep a dog.

If the dogs are getting better fair enough, but if they are still being a nucense then contact your Housing Officer at the HA and they will look into it further for you.

The Little Beauty Room said:
Hi,

I can't understand why the Housing Association would rent a house out to someone with dogs where there is no garden?

I suspect she doesn't even have permission to keep these dogs in the house from the Association. Certainly my work (a HA) must have given permission to keep a dog.

If the dogs are getting better fair enough, but if they are still being a nucense then contact your Housing Officer at the HA and they will look into it further for you.

Shes away at the moment, but if when she stays again they are a nightmare I will contact them. Not quite sure they will do anything, but its an avenue I will probably have to pursue.

Latest posts

Back