HELP! Shellac removal problems from (pre) damaged nails?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

trundlebunny

Reaction score
Ok, so I just got my Shellac system through at the start of last week (yay!) and thought I would experiment on myself and willing friends / family before offering to my clients to iron out any application issues.

Last Weds I tried it on my mum who has just had her gels removed about 3 weeks ago after 6 years of wearing them - largely spurred on by me telling her about Shellac and how much better it will be for her nails.

They were wearing pretty well considering the state of her nails but last nigth she came round as she fancied a change of colour. I went throught the exact process i've used on myself twice already but this time is was a nightmare to get off :irked:. The lower part of her nail (so the new growth) was fine but further towards the free edge there were patches that just didn't want to come off - at first I thought it was old gel that hadn't been fully removed (she was using my IBD buff off) but it was on about half her nails so I really think I would have noticed it when I applied it last week. In the end I managed to get most of it off with a 2nd soak for another 5/10 mins but even then there were thin patches I just coudn't shift and one stubbourn bit on the corner free edge of her thumb that I just had to leave on.

Has anyone else had this problem and, if so, do you have a solution? We've only ever offered natural nail manicures in my salon but have spoken to quite a few people who are interested in moving to shellac from enhancements but if it is going to be this problematic to remove, i'll jsut have to say no :(

I thought about leaving the wraps on longer next time (yes, using the proper ones, initially at least) but I remember that this is coutner-productive as the acetone starts to evaporate. I know someone mentioned using a pipette to top up the acetone but when in order to get the wraps sufficienlty tight, there are no gaps I could fit a pipette through.

So, as I say, HELP!

Thanks in advance guys

p.s. Using the whole system: lamp, wraps, d-solve etc

I am sure someone will shortly give you a more detailed reply but I know that the base coat has to be really thin otherwise they do take longer to remove, HTH's x

Hi! Thanks, I'm fairly sure my application is not the probelm, I am very careful to do thin layers and had no problems removing from my own nails.

HOWEVER, I am wondering if the fact that the surface of her nails was a little rough (from the previous buffing to apply / remove her gels - I did NOT buff them) meant that the nail surface 'held' more base coat that it otherwise would (kind of like painting an artex ceiling - it just drinks the paint).

Hmmmmmm...........

Have you done the Shellac class ? do you offer enhancements? the only reason I'm asking is you haven't filled in your profile ,Its not that I dout you are a professional its just it makes it hard to know what you do and don't know already about Shellac ect IYSWIM :),

Removal is not normally problematic for anyone and enhancement clients with damaged nails are not our target clients.

My guess is that mum does still have some buff off gel on her nails but the damage may have contributed as well to a more difficult removal .. who knows? The fact is that your mum is going to have to 'man' it through this period of growing her nails out and should not be changing her Shellac colour more often than every 2-3 weeks even if she wants to and you want the practice! That is not how to test Shellac and to find out what you need to know re wear-ability etc if you are in the testing phase.

Hi! Oops, sorry, filled the registration out in a bit of a rush and didn't worry as I though no-one ever looked at that!

Anyway, yes to qualified but natural nail manicure / ped only - my main area of expertise is bridal make-up but branched out into manicure as an add-on. Have had to stop the make-up for a while due to health and not being able to drive at the moment so working for a friend.

My Shellac course is arranged for early July so no, not done it yet.

Thanks!

Hi! Oops, sorry, filled the registration out in a bit of a rush and didn't worry as I though no-one ever looked at that!

Anyway, yes to qualified but natural nail manicure / ped only - my main area of expertise is bridal make-up but branched out into manicure as an add-on. Have had to stop the make-up for a while due to health and not being able to drive at the moment so working for a friend.

My Shellac course is arranged for early July so no, not done it yet.

Well if I can help you at all with Shellac help videos, pdf's, aftercare sheet for you to copy for clients etc (this goes for anyone with a Sweet Squared account) just let me know at [email protected] and I will send them all through to you by email. This is one of the things I do as part of my working life so feel free to email me (not by pm) and tell me what you want, and include your S2 customer number for verification as we don't send to non professionals of course. xxx

Thanks Gigi - I'll tell her she needs to pick a colour and stick with it for her own good!

Don't worry, I was fully aware that this was an issue with her nails rather than the product, I would never judge a product when not put to its intended use - I was jsut curious if anyone had come accross this and had a solution. The system is clearly designed to adhere to a shiny nail bed and I presume issues like this are, among others, a reason NOT to buff / remove surface shine.

Thanks again, will tell to 'man' it :lol:

Latest posts

Back