Help! Starting over

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beaute

Reaction score
Hi, For the past year I have had my own jewellery business and have had some sales but not enough for a profit yet. So I am selling things on an auction site to save up money for courses, because it's not on fair my parents who always help me out.

After I have done the training in manicures, pedicures, facials and make-up, I don't know what to do.

Do I buy a log cabin and set up at home, rent a room and hopefully have clients every week to pay for rent and stock or do I get a job in a salon.

I know what I what, it's just getting there.:eek:

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Imho, if you are really struggling that much, then I would get a job in a salon until you have enough money to set up at home!
If youre parents bail you out and you dont feel comfortable doing this, then I think this would be the better option!

It might also give you a chance to build up a client base, so that when and if you do set up on your own, they may well follow you!?

Good luck hun xxxx:hug:

Imho, if you are really struggling that much, then I would get a job in a salon until you have enough money to set up at home!
If youre parents bail you out and you dont feel comfortable doing this, then I think this would be the better option!

It might also give you a chance to build up a client base, so that when and if you do set up on your own, they may well follow you!?

Good luck hun xxxx:hug:

Do you think I should do some volunteer work in a salon to gain experience then apply for a job within in salon?

Do you think I should do some volunteer work in a salon to gain experience then apply for a job within in salon?
I wouldnt volunteer hun, go round them and see if they're looking to take on a trainee or a Saturday receptionist.

No, I dont think you should volunteer. Maybe see if you could shadow a nail tech for a while to see how things go, or see if the Salon would want to employ a newly trained tech, so then if the clients know you are newly trained they will understand that your time may be a little slower!

I wouldnt go down the route of receptionist, cant see you doing many nail there!?
Jmho though!

xxxxxx

No, I dont think you should volunteer. Maybe see if you could shadow a nail tech for a while to see how things go, or see if the Salon would want to employ a newly trained tech, so then if the clients know you are newly trained they will understand that your time may be a little slower!

I wouldnt go down the route of receptionist, cant see you doing many nail there!?
Jmho though!

xxxxxx

I just thought it would give her the over all experience of a salon environment if they wernt taking on techs and also when it's quiet they might let her watch.

well you can always come and get some work experience with me, although I don't nails YET! or waxing YET!

Um, obviously not thought this one through properly!

I would always say to have a salon job first just to get an idea of how things are run and get an idea of business,handling clients different techniques etc etc its all about continued training really.Its where your speed,confidence and experience can be built up without having all the responsibility.

well you can always come and get some work experience with me, although I don't nails YET! or waxing YET!

Um, obviously not thought this one through properly!

Thank you for the very kind offer Ann, I think more courses and practice is needed first. :hug:

I would always say to have a salon job first just to get an idea of how things are run and get an idea of business,handling clients different techniques etc etc its all about continued training really.Its where your speed,confidence and experience can be built up without having all the responsibility.

Thank you Gillian for the helpful advice, I will do my training in Man/Ped in April with Creative and then a facial course and apply for a part time job in a salon.:hug:

Hi, Thank you for all the helpful comments. I will do my courses then apply for a job and get some experience first, then in 5 years maybe go on my own.

Latest posts

Back