Help starting up sun bed/beauty salon, south east

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lolly777

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

I'm close to signing a lease to open a tanning salon in my area (South East) I am a qualified beautician but have not worked in the industry for over 8 years and have recently been made redundant from my sales manager job and receiving a generous pay out which I'm using to start up my business.

I know a lot of peoples thoughts on sunbeds and the obvious cancer risks but these are still VERY popular in my area with the 2 salons local to me having ques out the door for there beds. I would just like any advise with regards to setting up the salon on what you believe are key to making it work.

Also I have a beauty room in the shop and I'm undecided whether to rent the room out to a beautician (weekly rate, provide bed sink marketing ect) or to hire a full time beautician and pay her a wage..??

I also want to do a blow dry bar and Make-up on Friday and Saturdays nights.. again would I rent out the 2 chairs or should i get someone in for weekends

My last beauty job was working as a make-up artist for Yves Saint Laurent and I still do make up on the side but I don't know if its easier just to get someone in that can do blow Dry s and make-up and i can stay on reception.

Any info is HUGELY appreciated.

Regards

Lauren

I personally would get them in to rent the chairs my partner had s Sunbed shop and even though some days where really busy others where quiet so if you do have the rent a chair you know your going to at least get so much a week set. We used carrot sun oil and creams and they are brilliant! I burn when I go on the Sunbed with the usual creams that they sell at a £1 a shot and with these I didn't and I got a gorgeous colour and never been that brown before. I would also promote loads using facebook and Twitter as your clients are generally going to be the age range that use them although we found we got quiet a few of the older generation in that you wouldn't espect to use the sunbeds.

Hope this helps a bit of you need anymore info on the creams just message me.

I think if you can work it so that you are always on reception it might work better - you'll be able to focus on managing and greeting. Then you can create a reputation for quality customer service.

Just speaking from the perspective of a customer, really, in this case.

Handy if you do get silly-busy at peak times to be able to do a bit of makeup, though.

Latest posts

Back