Help!toe nail ripped backwards but still attached...

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

joanne...

Reaction score
yesterday i pulled a chair into and over my right foot. The big toe nail was ripped backwards but it was still attached at the cuticle (sides and back)im not sure how far down its gone because i have gel on it but it felt quite loose. I quickly pushed it back down as it began to bleed, ive taped half the nail to hold it down but left the free edge open What should i do???
will it grow back ok???

I did this two years ago and I would say, if you are unsure to go to A & E. They made sure mine was clean and dressed it. You may also need a tetnus shot.........

Got to admit if it was one of my clients i would send them to A&E.

I think its started to heal and needs to be kept dry.

Did yours grow back oK?

:eek: Ouch! that happened me this time last year, I tripped over my wee boys bath! It look a while to grow back, I think by August it was only quarter way up, it was a bit bumpy the first wee bit of growth but the rest came ok & now it's completely fine! The bit of nail that was there stayed attached & the new nail grew underneath it, it wasn't til it fell off that the nail really came on

Sorry I know I'm not a nail geek but I thought that might help a bit! :hug:
xoxox

I did this 2.5 years ago when i fell down a set of stairs. Had acrylic on and it tore it off about 3/4 of the way back. Nasty thing but i left it alone and kept at bandaged until the nail bed healed. Its grown out fine except a tiny split on the freeedge that is permanent.
Now my right foot as another story. My son dropped a large can of Grands Biscuits directly on the lunula at the cuticle. It hurt so bad i nearly passed out in Walmart! Im still waiting to see what its going to do but i had to fill in a giant hole at the cuticle with acrylic where the old nail and the new growth have separated.
Point Im getting at is the nail bed can sustain alot of damage but if you damage your matrix then your in trouble. If you just tore up the bed chances are it will be relatively fine. But if in doubt see a Dr but Dont let them remove the nail completely. By doing that they fiddle with the matrix and it may not grow back at all... Gl!

hi joanne,
Ouch ! That sounds nasty.
The nail will always grow back unless it has been removed surgically and then phenolised. Unfortunately, if it grows back following accidental tauma it may grow thicker in the future.
From what you say you will could well lose the whole nail but don't ty to pull it off yourself as you need it to protect the tissues beneath at the moment.
Your challenge right now is to stop infection, so keep it clean and dry and then see the Practice Nurse at the GP's surgery asap for advice and re-dressing.

Thankyou everyone for your replys.

Ive been to the Doctors this morning now i'm realy confused... the doctor said to keep it out of water and when the nurse was dressing it she said to bath and shower as normal.

I'm just thinking if i wash it and water gets in will that not cause a bacterial infection??

Hi Joanne,

I'm just thinking if i wash it and water gets in will that not cause a bacterial infection??

Not necessarily, but if the skin keeps getting wet, it may become macerated (soggy) and take longer to heal.

HTH

Footwoman

Latest posts

Back