Help - URGENTLY needed and dont know what to do!!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jen2k

Reaction score
Hello sorry to start a new thread but i couldnt find the information i needed... okay will explain the situation first of all...

I run a salon as well as doing beauty therapy and hair extensions. I had a 22 year old client a little over a month ago who had hair extensions fitted, all was fine and she booked her maintenance bond check appointment for the following fortnight just as i had advised so i could see how the bonds were doing and to just double check all was okay with them and that she was looking after them as she should be.

The evening before her maintenance appointment she text me asking the price of dying her natural hair (from root to tip) underneath her extensions and i had already stated before she had them fitted to dye her hair if needed as it becomes very awkward to dye the roots (let alone the length and ends of it as well!) after the extensions have been fitted. She was still adamant she wanted it done so i told her the price it would be and she asked to change her appointed from maintenance to dying which i had no problem with as she would still be coming into the salon so i could still check her hair. I am not a hairdresser by trade (only qualified in extensions) and told her that the appointment would be with the hairdresser and although she already had clients there was sufficient time to slot dying hers as well not a problem. Anyways she came in for the appointment deciding she didnt want the dying done afterall because she only had half an hour to spare before she had to leave and be elsewhere which gave insufficient time to do either the dying or the maintenance appointment so she got the hump and left. Then she text me that evening (which i dislike clients texting anyway!) saying she wasnt impressed with me because i had apparently told her it would only take half an hour to do!
After a few more messages complaining, she did not book in for another maintenance appointment and i did not hear from her... until this week.
On tuesday she came in with her mum saying how many problems she'd had with them in the past couple of weeks (bearing in mind this would have been her 3rd bond check maintenance appointment had she kept up to date with as advised) and she wanted them removed free of charge and a full refund on the hair extensions. I refused a refund on the hair extensions as there was nothing wrong with the hair or the service she was given but because she did not keep up to date with the maintenance appointments or aftercare advice she had lost many bonds (ripped them out of her hair might i add!), and the hair was very matted at the bonds where she has not been looked after properly. Also when she came in her hair was soaking wet because apparently she had been doin hydrotherapy (which i advised her to wear a swimming cap if going anywhere near chlorine and it was not good for either the extensions or the bonds. clearly she didnt listen to that either.) I did however rightly or wrongly agree to remove the hair free of charge just to put this matter to rest. She spent 5 hours yesterday bombarding my phone with texts (which i replied to) pushing more and more saying if i wanted her to come into the salon to remove then she wants a part refund on the hair extensions and free removal. I said no the appointment that she had previously agreed to and that was for the removal free of charge but i was not budging when it came to pushing for more and more when it is not my fault she has neglected to look after the hair. Then she told me in defence that i had told her the hair extensions would be fine and needed no maintenance whatsoever and would last 3 months without any maintenance at all... this annoyed me emmensely but i did not rise to it. I ended the conversation yesterday by saying that i felt it would be better if she was not happy with my service to go elsewhere to have them removed as we could not reach a suitable agreement and i no longer felt comfortable. I was then told she'd be more than happy to go elsewhere to have them removed as long as the salon pays her the money to get it done as well as refund on the full service. I said no. Now today i have had her mum constantly bombarding the salon with calls wanting an appointment for the girl and saying i "will" do the appointment at her convenience for free or she will come into the salon and cause a scene until she gets her own way...

I am at a loss...

Where do i stand on refusing to do a client like that because i just do not feel comfortable and after the horrible texts yesterday i just know if i remove them she will decide she wasnt happy with the way i did that treatment either?? And what do i do if she decided to take this further...?
This has really upset me because they looked lovely when they were first fitted and lasted until her missed appointments and i dont know what to do and know her mum will come into the salon tomorrow (being our busiest day) and make a scene.

Any help would be truely appreciated and apologies to everyone for the length of this post!

Nasty nasty. Personally I would explain that if this harrassment continues, you will go to the police. Also inform your insurer that this situation has occurred.
If the woman rings again or threatens you, call the police.

Yeah it is horrible at the moment! Can i legally refuse to do the client?

Yes you can. your salon is private property, you can refuse access to whoever you want to. If you are threatened or harrassed by a client, call the police. DO NOT give in to the demands in the hope they leave you alone, by refunding you are admitting you are in some way at fault. They will then be able to go for damages.
Tough it out. It seems huge at the moment but it will go away if you are resolute and stick to your guns.

Hi, here is an older post that may help you

At BABTAC, as I know you will all be aware, one of the membership benefits is insurance (it's just one of them, but that's another thread!). In our members handbook and in our magazine Vitality there's all sorts of advice about how to handle al sorts of situations, including complaints, and I sit on a regular BABTAC panel where we review incoming incident reports and claims, so I have to stress this; telling someone there will be no charge for a treatment is not an admission of liability, but with other evidence it could be considered contributory to an admission!

I know, I know, it's difficult sometimes; but if you DO feel you have to let someone off a charge, it might be best to have something simple printed up which says something along the lines of...

"We're/I'm sorry that you thought our service did not come up to scratch; we/I don't think we/I did anything wrong, but we/I always aim to keep our/my clients happy, so we'll/I'll waive our/my charges this time - and please accept this voucher which will entitle you to 50% off your next treatment! We/I really do want to see you back again."

... and keep a record of everyone you give this to in a small book, along with a detailed record of why you gave the voucher.

By doing so, you're doing two things; you're reassuring the client if it's a genuine, unfortunate, one-off, and you're keeping a record of 'No admission or liability'.

If the client is genuine you might keep them; if they take advantage of your offer, it makes it more unlikely that any court in the land would uphold a claim for the previous incident (how bad could it be if the client went back?).

If there's a worse problem looming (ie a claim) and they don't come back, at least you've covered the reason why you waived the charge and have a record of 'no admission of liability'.

It can be as simple as a laser-printed note on a comp slip or letterhead.

At our regional roadshows in Leeds, Brighton, Cambridge and Bristol this year (which are free to all therapists) in one of the 32 sales, marketing and business seminars our insurance team will be talking about complaints and claims and how to handle them.

If anyone would like to come along you will be welcomed - go to BABTAC - The Official Site of the British Association of Beauty Therapy and Cosmetology and see the button for the BEST Roadshows at the top!

Regards

PHILIP SWINFORD
Marketing Services Manager
BABTAC

also here is the link to the whole thread you may want to read

http://www.salongeek.com/chit-chat/64900-i-think-im-going-sued-5.html

and another link that may help you some more ,

http://www.salongeek.com/business/5...us-complaint.html?highlight=serious+complaint

It must be an awful time for you and I really do feel for you ,
but it will pass so do let us know how you are getting on with it all ?
:hug: hugs to you minky x

also get a waiver. this should have been provided to you when you did your course.
all salons should provide waivers so it helps protects the salon and the client.
1. makes sure haidresser has explained everthing.
2. client fully understands the term and conditions and how to maintain.

A waiver / disclaimer will not stand in a court of law....please be aware of this.

Stick to your guns....they sound like absolute nightmares...but you havent done anything wrong

I agree with going to the police as this is harrasment, keep all the texts that she has bombarded you with as this is evidence of her harrasment towards you. As advised in a previous post do not give in to the client's demands and don't offer any refunds as that can be seen as admitting liability. Just hold your ground xx

Latest posts

Back