Help with blowdry?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jessicalewis

Reaction score
Hi everyone I need some tips for blowdryjng. It's one of my weaker point and trying to brush up on my skills, iv watched some videos to help but the thing that seems to hold me back is my tension. I can't seem to get enough tension when blowdrying just seems to run through easy and not give any tension so can't get a good blowdry. Anyone have any tips that will help me? Thanks in advance x

Might not be you! Could just be the brush you're using! Try using a ventilated true boars bristle round brush! They seem to keep hold of the hair very well. And make sure you establish a good starting base before you start pulling the brush through rather than the hair just sitting on top of the brush. Maybe? Hope I helped a bit:)

Great thankyou, we just got the headjog brushes so will try some boar bristle ones like you said thankyou :)

Of course! Let me know how it works out for you!

Is it all your blow drys or a particular one that you are struggling with?

Will do, thankyou xx
All of them really, can't seem to get good tension feels like it's just sliping through xx

It usually comes down to technique. Your brush should be in your right hand, dryer in left, as that way you have more control. Practice with both larger and smaller sections.
Try using your air flow to guide the hair round the brush to get better tension.

Are you working with clients who have really thin hair? That only happens with me if they don't have a lot of hair or it's very fine.

I'm assuming for long hair blowouts you are putting hair up and then bringing down section at a time. This way you can get great tension and not battling all of the hair at once.

Getting good tension is in the arm and wrist. You need to really get in there with your hand and wrist and grip brush better. I always tell people a good blowout is like manual labor. You have to get in there and really work :green:
x

And can you guys please share what boar bristle round you use? I tried Ibiza and it was an utter waste of money. It didn't grip most hair at all. Maybe really thin hair, but my clients have all sorts of mixed hair.

Hiya chick.
I have been hairdressing 6 years and have people comment on how long my blowdries last and how smooth they are ect....
I was having drinks round my friends house when she asked if i wud blow her hair. So we had no products, a pound land brush, a argos travel hairdryer and straightners that top temp was 140 degrees
It was absolutly awful.
So the point is even if you are good at creating a smooth blowdry you do have to make sure you havr the correct products and tools to what works for you.
I personally couldnt live without my parlux hairdryer. This in my opinion is the best tool in the hairdressing business. Xx

Sent from my GT-N7000 using SalonGeek mobile app

Great thankyou for all your replys. I don't get much practise with blowdrying as I work in a walk in salon which the majority of it is dry cuts so this doesn't help nd this is my first job in hairdressing after qualifying , but will take all your tips on board thankyou everyone. Will try using my wrist more, think I mainly use my hand which doesn't give a lot of flexibility I'm guessing lol. Really appreciate the tips, and which brand of brushes does everyone use xx

It usually comes down to technique. Your brush should be in your right hand, dryer in left, as that way you have more control. Practice with both larger and smaller sections.
Try using your air flow to guide the hair round the brush to get better tension.

Thinking about it I always put the brush in my left hand lol even though I'm right handed, I'm just a bit whacky handed lol, will try with brush in right and dryer on left, thankyou lol :) xx

Not if you are left handed. I hold them the other way round.

Not if you are left handed. I hold them the other way round.

Yeah, sorry, I should have clarified that the advice was for a right handed person.

I am right handed but hold them like a left handed person lol so will try the other way around lol xx

I'm right handed, but use my tools as a lefty would :lol: Still gets the job done. Couldn't even imagine holding the brush in my right hand. That's for the dryer.

All is good as long as you get the job done x.

Wrist and gripping. *wax on. wax off* a la Karate Kid. Practice makes the perfect smooth blowout.

Tryed holding the dryer in my left hand lol Felt totally wierd lol, will give it few more goes lol think I'm struggling more with the longer hair then short styles, could still do with work on my shorter styles but longer seems to be the weaker spot xx

Tryed holding the dryer in my left hand lol Felt totally wierd lol, will give it few more goes lol think I'm struggling more with the longer hair then short styles, could still do with work on my shorter styles but longer seems to be the weaker spot xx

It will feel odd at first, but try and persist.

I'm right handed, but use my tools as a lefty would :lol: Still gets the job done. Couldn't even imagine holding the brush in my right hand. That's for the dryer.

All is good as long as you get the job done x.

Wrist and gripping. *wax on. wax off* a la Karate Kid. Practice makes the perfect smooth blowout.

Same here. Right handed and hold the hairdryer in my right hand. Changing over would be like writing with my left hand!

Sent from my GT-P3110 using SalonGeek mobile app

Think there was a thread before on here with links to different videos for tips on blowdrying? YouTube Sam villa or scissors boy, found their videos extremely helpful!

Yeah going to keep trying lol okay thankyou will try find the thread and go on youtube, thank you :) x

Latest posts

Back