Help with colouring

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Krystle

Reaction score
Hi, I'm a student and a friend has offered to be my ginea pig!
She was going to buy a box colour from boots, which I know is a no go.....so I said I'd do it for her.
She is naturally brown, but about 4-5 months ago used a box colour 4, dark brown. She used to have highlights years ago, so the ends are a little lighter.
She wants to go a shade or 2 lighter, so ive bought a colour 6 from sallys.
What vol provide should I use?
Do you think I need to strip the hair before applying this colour?
Any help, much appreciated.
Thanks
Krystle

Hi there,

You can't lift tint with a tint, 1st rule. Box colours, very difficult to lift out. I only did one this week with a mild bleach bath , just to put 1 shade lighter on, bleach bath didn't touch it, and I wasn't prepared to do anymore cos of the condition the box colour had left her hair in.

I personally don't think this is something you should be messing with on your own, there's so much more to it then that. If you use a colour remover and don't do it correctly it can end up darker than when you started, if you do a bleach bath, which I can tell from your inexperience, you shouldn't you could do a whole heap of damage to already over processed hair. Plus its not just about wacking on another colour, you need to assess desired shade she wants, ash, warm, flat. If your mate is really ok with letting you practice than thats cool, but you won't learn anything if no one's there to show you what to do if things go wrong.

Really not meaning to be patrionising sorry! If you're training haven't you got a tutor who can help, are you at college, couildn't you take your friend in as a model?

Hi
Thank you very much for your response!
I know that I shouldnt really be messing with colours, when I know I dont know what I am doing, but she is jsut going to buy a box colour anyway if I dont, so thats why I have said I will get her a colour from the wholesalers.
The colour that she put on 4-5 months ago has faded, I would say its more or less all gone now?
I am only at college Tues and Wed evenings so I cant ask them, as she wants it done before the weekend.
I just want to know if I should use a 20 or 30 vol? MFI's say 30vol max can be used.
I know that you cant lift tint with tint, but if I put this 6 on, should be ok, I can run some highlights through, or I am an extensionist I could always put some lights browns/blondes through to lighten it up?
Thanks for your help xx

As Fuzion said, tint doesn't lift tint. So it doesn't matter if you use 6% or 9% her roots will end up lighter than her ends.
Can you not explain that to your friend and get her to wait?

No matter how much the old box appears to have faded, it has still permanently changed the structure of the hair, and another tint will not change it unless you are going darker.

Latest posts

Back