Help with damage from acrylic and nail biter!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LMB

Reaction score
My client has had acrylics, from one of those NSS places for the last 18 months and 2 months ago on holiday, one came off and she pulled the rest off :eek: and her little finger's natural nail came off with it!!!! So as you can imagine all her nails are very very short, not much nail plate, they're quite soft but she has been biting them as well :eek:. I use Jessica products. She really wants to grow them naturally now. I used restoration, with critical care over the top, she wanted a colour on to remind her not to bite them, which i did and a top coat. I recommended lots of phenomen oil and apply restoration daily.
I left her little finger with no nail on it, she said it hasnt grown at all in 2 months, do you think this will grow? (all there is is just hard red skin, no sign of any nail growth at all yet?!)
Any advice is much appreciated! many thanks x

Last edited by a moderator:
First things first, she went to a NSS (don't use ethnic descriptions as its racist and not all are Chinese, either). Just a friendly reminder.

As far as her nails, I had lost a little finger and ring finger nail from a rather nasty case of school sores I acquired from my daughter. It took about two months for the new nail to show up (about a quarter of a nail).

When I lost those two nails, after the infection had cleared, I used solaroil daily (more like 3x day) to keep the skin and cuticles healthy.

Once the nails had grown out about half way, about three months, I sculpted acrylics over and they seem to be growing out just fine. Not recommended in your case however, as she is a biter, from what you say (and the exposure issue, I wouldn't do it on a client).

Continue with what you have suggested and perhaps she has damaged her nail so badly it may not grow back, because who knows what damage she has done really. If there is no nail whatsoever after another month, good chance she destroyed her nail plate and structures and may not grow a new nail (or if it does finally come back, may be deformed).

DO NOT FEEL BAD, she did this to herself. Hell, I wouldn't even blame the NSS as she did the damage. Maybe you can boost her by working on getting her natural nails, whats left of them, back and then later on, suggest a sculpt. I wouldn't do it now cos it sounds like you would do all that work for naught.

JMHO, and good luck

Nancy

I left her little finger with no nail on it, she said it hasnt grown at all in 2 months, do you think this will grow? (all there is is just hard red skin, no sign of any nail growth at all yet?!)
To quote Mr Schoon:
It takes 5 or 6 months to completely replace the entire nail plate and one to two months for new nail plate to grow out from the matrix to just past the eponychium

Latest posts

Back