Help with eyebrow waxing

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fluffycat

Reaction score
Hi I'm a new member currently studying level 2 beauty therapy and absolutely loving it! We have been learning waxing since before Christmas and currently working our way through assessments which I've nearly finished. I am happy enough with all waxing except for eyebrows! I just have a fear of messing them up and any time I do them I've ended up with the wax too far down and then taking peoples skin off :cry:

my teacher went over it with me one day and she held the spatula at an angle which I hadn't picked up before and since then I've tried to do this and make sure the wax isnt going down as far but I'm still struggling with placing it. I think maybe its a confidence issue and just not having confidence with putting it on so exactly. I've read that you can put Vaseline on the eyebrow if you're afraid of taking too much off which I haven't tried as we never learnt it but perhaps I should do this from now on. I do it in small bits which is easier but still not helping. The other issue is removing it without damaging peoples faces!

I think the problem is that I have a good idea where I'm going wrong but I'm finding it difficult to get practice and I'm just so nervous as the thought of it! So I guess my question to you all is, how did you learn how to do eyebrow waxing, do you have any tips or experiences to share? I wish you could get a dolly head to practice on or something haha!

Hi I'm a new member currently studying level 2 beauty therapy and absolutely loving it! We have been learning waxing since before Christmas and currently working our way through assessments which I've nearly finished. I am happy enough with all waxing except for eyebrows! I just have a fear of messing them up and any time I do them I've ended up with the wax too far down and then taking peoples skin off :cry:

my teacher went over it with me one day and she held the spatula at an angle which I hadn't picked up before and since then I've tried to do this and make sure the wax isnt going down as far but I'm still struggling with placing it. I think maybe its a confidence issue and just not having confidence with putting it on so exactly. I've read that you can put Vaseline on the eyebrow if you're afraid of taking too much off which I haven't tried as we never learnt it but perhaps I should do this from now on. I do it in small bits which is easier but still not helping. The other issue is removing it without damaging peoples faces!

I think the problem is that I have a good idea where I'm going wrong but I'm finding it difficult to get practice and I'm just so nervous as the thought of it! So I guess my question to you all is, how did you learn how to do eyebrow waxing, do you have any tips or experiences to share? I wish you could get a dolly head to practice on or something haha!

I use small brow spatulas, you can get them from most wholesalers it really makes it easier to get a thinner application and of course more control over your wax.
It will come with confidence xx

I struggled with eyebrow waxing in college until I started working in a salon. They taught me to mark out my shape with talc, this also provides a little protection between the skin an the wax.
Hope this helps x

Firstly add a little oil to the skin and wipe the excess off with a tissue, this will protect the skin. Cover the hairs you don't want to remove with Vaseline. The rest is just confidence. Remember to test temperature of the wax one the inside of your wrist to avoid burns. If you do all of this you shouldn't have any problems.
Once you finish college and do real clients you can use hot wax which is kinder to the skin. Good luck. Xxx

When you have applied the wax and then put on the strip , taught the skin around the eye and don't pull the strip up towards you but pull in parallel direction towards the surface on skin( inwards towards the nose) if that makes sence!

I struggled with eyebrow waxing in college until I started working in a salon. They taught me to mark out my shape with talc, this also provides a little protection between the skin an the wax.
Hope this helps x

Hi tamlyn what do you mean when you say you mark out the shape with talc?

Paige, I just saw those small spatulas today so I think I will try those, thank you!

Oasis I will try the oil and Vaseline tip next time, I think if I can get at least one successful brow wax it will give me a good boost! Thanks!

Sbeauty35 that's a good tip, I will think nose in my head when I go to remove it! :)

Thank you for the reassuring comments, I will definitely try your tips and keep at it! :hug:

Haven't personally tried it but read on a threading post - mark out an eyebrow shape on a leg or arm or something and practice waxing around that. May help you with the wax placement!

Remember to prep properly, stretch well and don't put too much wax on your spatula!

Good luck, you'll get there xx

Jules that sounds like a brilliant tip, going to have to try that! Would be a good start to get the shape in my head. Thanks!

Hi tamlyn what do you mean when you say you mark out the shape with talc?

The hairs I'm removing I mark with talc using a cotton bud, it means I can see the shape I want to create clearly whilst protecting the skin x

Jules that sounds like a brilliant tip, going to have to try that! Would be a good start to get the shape in my head. Thanks!

Let me know how it goes! I'll be testing it when I finally do threading training this year! X

Tamlyn - Ah I see that sounds handy! Will have to try that. Thank you!

Waxed my sisters eyebrows the other day, she had never had them waxed before but I'm pleased to say that I did the job without burning, taking skin off etc! I tried the Vaseline tip on the eyelid and on the brow to give me confidence. The only problem was that I found it hard to get a good grip as it was all slippy with the Vaseline so I must have went overboard with it, though it was hard to spread. And then i ended up applying the wax and some hairs not coming out due to the vaseline! I just tidied the line with tweezers. I think I will try the talc tip next time though I did think the vaseline on the eyelid helped me. So overall it went well and I feel more confident to keep practicing. Also i used the small spatulas which were a great job!

Thank you all, I've plenty of tips now to get stuck in with! :)

Waxed my sisters eyebrows the other day, she had never had them waxed before but I'm pleased to say that I did the job without burning, taking skin off etc! I tried the Vaseline tip on the eyelid and on the brow to give me confidence. The only problem was that I found it hard to get a good grip as it was all slippy with the Vaseline so I must have went overboard with it, though it was hard to spread. And then i ended up applying the wax and some hairs not coming out due to the vaseline! I just tidied the line with tweezers. I think I will try the talc tip next time though I did think the vaseline on the eyelid helped me. So overall it went well and I feel more confident to keep practicing. Also i used the small spatulas which were a great job!

Thank you all, I've plenty of tips now to get stuck in with! :)

So glad you're feeling more confident! Those kind of things take practice. Next time use a bit less Vaseline and then a bit less and just judge it from there. Remember if some hairs aren't coming out because of it you can always cleanse the Vaseline off and reapply. Keep it up with plenty of waxes whenever you can (even do your own) and you'll be sorted in no time! Xxx

Thanks Jules. Cant imagine trying to do my own lol, but definitely feel more prepared now to do other peoples :) I think i might eventually end up liking brows (haha) as there is a certain satisfaction in creating a tidy eyebrow! :)

Thanks Jules. Cant imagine trying to do my own lol, but definitely feel more prepared now to do other peoples :) I think i might eventually end up liking brows (haha) as there is a certain satisfaction in creating a tidy eyebrow! :)

Try doing your own upper lip 🙈🙈🙈😂😂

Yes I was taught too dry eyebrows onto the back of my hand and wax the area around it xxx

Sent from my D5803 using SalonGeek mobile app

Cant imagine that either jules eek!

Just a little update as im finding im slowly getting more confident!

I did my cousins eyebrows the other day and im no longer shaking with fear haha! Im using the slim spatula and just using a little dot of wax at a time and doing it in small bits. I felt so proud of the result as i didnt burn or remove any skin and they looked much better - not quite salon standard yet as i needed to tidy up the line with tweezers but i dont care, im just happy im feeling a bit more confident with it! :)

Just a little update as im finding im slowly getting more confident!

I did my cousins eyebrows the other day and im no longer shaking with fear haha! Im using the slim spatula and just using a little dot of wax at a time and doing it in small bits. I felt so proud of the result as i didnt burn or remove any skin and they looked much better - not quite salon standard yet as i needed to tidy up the line with tweezers but i dont care, im just happy im feeling a bit more confident with it! :)
Well done.

Don't worry about tidying the line with tweezers. I often do that after 15 years. It just means you're being very accurate and thorough.

Vic x

Latest posts

Back